LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Nitrious Kits, are they all created equal?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:25 AM

Nitrious Kits, are they all created equal?!

Hey guys, i'm looking at throwing a 150 shot on the Z28 and i'm new to the Nitrious world.

I plan on adding a Wet Plate kit as I really like the installs with the plate.

A friend of mine totalled his Corvette and is parting it out. He's selling a NX single nozzle wet kit for like $375. Plates seem to be in the $230ish ballpark.

Now I can get a complete Plate Kit from Harris Speed Works for $599.00 which is right around if not a touch cheaper then buying the NX kit plus a plate.

Also looking around I see the NX kits seem to be more expensive as well. Is there a reason for the higher prices of the NX kits? Do they use better quality solenoids or are you just paying for the name?

Anybody have any recommendations for a certain brand, or are they basically all the same just re-badges?!?!

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Retired

The big-name ones are all basically the same if you're talking about the same kind of setup (plate vs shark nozzle, etc). Uses the same types of solenoids, lines, jets, etc.

I like NX followed by NOS.

You have to be careful with piston #7 on the LS1. That one likes to blow

I probably wouldn't do a wet-kit on an LS1. Dry-kit with bigger injectors adding fuel (lucky number 7) or a direct-port setup.

Mike
Old 07-22-2009, 08:12 PM

I prefer TNT and NX over the others.

Mike, why no love on the wet kit? And considering his price range, I feel that a DP setup is well out of his range.

Although I would suggest all of the safety features when running nitrous to protect your car. WOT switch, window switch Fuel pressure safety switch, ignition box etc etc.

All of these things force the price up but are worth it to me.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:23 PM

i prefer direct port kits from induction solutions
Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by ford
I prefer TNT and NX over the others.

Mike, why no love on the wet kit? And considering his price range, I feel that a DP setup is well out of his range.

Although I would suggest all of the safety features when running nitrous to protect your car. WOT switch, window switch Fuel pressure safety switch, ignition box etc etc.

All of these things force the price up but are worth it to me.
Couple reasons.

#7 usually goes boom first on the LS1 car due to the location of it -- you can't always get enough fuel sprayed back there through a plate/shark. It doesn't ALWAYS happen, but it happens enough to be concerned about.

Fuel solenoids do get stuck from time to time. Since that is your only source of additional fuel (wet kit), then you'd risk catastrophic damage.

The wet kit plate/shark is basically the cheapest, easiest, and most dangerous way to hook nitrous up to your car. I ran one for a few weeks streetracing on my old LT1 motor and when I went to pull the plugs, the rear ones (7 and 8) looked pretty lean as a result. Spraying nitrous/fuel into the front of your motor isn't a good way to get it into the rear of your motor.

Some people have good results, but I wouldn't do it again.

Mike