LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Lt Headers Decision: Which Would You Go With?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 07:07 PM

Thumbs down

There's too much SLP ragging going on here...
After 3 Zs and cruising LS1/Z28 sites for 3-4 years, this is what I know about headers:
SLP: Hang low, hard to install, high quality, and not many complaints.
TTS: Good fit, somewhat hard to install, a few quality complaints on the occaisional set, and some fabrication required.
FLP: By far the most complaints on quality problems... hands down. Some of the problems are scary too. I would stay away from this $1300 bundle of problems.
Hooker: The fewest problems reported, tuck up under the car like stock exhaust, great price, and made by one of the pioneer header manufacturers.
Jet-Hot: The jury is still out on this one. Nobody even has them on a car yet. They were copied from the Hookers with some slight "improvements" incorporated. They are the cheapest coated LTs out there.
Mac: Mid-lengths with a high temp paint applied. Very pricey for uncoated headers, good fit, good power as installed, can be made better with $ome mods, the Mac cats suck, easy install, some quality control problems.
Bassani: Same as Macs except VERY expensive.
Any shorty: Not worth your time.
Any race header: Not worth your time for street use.

IMO Hooker is your best bet. The right price... time tested quality.
Dave
Old 12-05-2002, 09:25 PM

This thread goes a long way to proving the old adage, opinions are like --------, everybody's got one.

When choosing, the first big factor is determining your needs, particularly in regards to emissions. Second, consider which manufacturer or reseller is going to back you up.

Since you're in Illinois, you might try stopping by Speed, Inc and working with those guys.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by ratio411
There's too much SLP ragging going on here...
After 3 Zs and cruising LS1/Z28 sites for 3-4 years, this is what I know about headers:
SLP: Hang low, hard to install, high quality, and not many complaints.
TTS: Good fit, somewhat hard to install, a few quality complaints on the occaisional set, and some fabrication required.
FLP: By far the most complaints on quality problems... hands down. Some of the problems are scary too. I would stay away from this $1300 bundle of problems.
Hooker: The fewest problems reported, tuck up under the car like stock exhaust, great price, and made by one of the pioneer header manufacturers.
Jet-Hot: The jury is still out on this one. Nobody even has them on a car yet. They were copied from the Hookers with some slight "improvements" incorporated. They are the cheapest coated LTs out there.
Mac: Mid-lengths with a high temp paint applied. Very pricey for uncoated headers, good fit, good power as installed, can be made better with $ome mods, the Mac cats suck, easy install, some quality control problems.
Bassani: Same as Macs except VERY expensive.
Any shorty: Not worth your time.
Any race header: Not worth your time for street use.

IMO Hooker is your best bet. The right price... time tested quality.
Dave
See thats what i mean, either Jet Hot Coated Hooker LT's or the new and improved Jet Hot coated headers, I mean if thy improved on something thats alreay been a gret product.. it sounds like a good idea..
Old 12-05-2002, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by LS1CamaroSS
See thats what i mean, either Jet Hot Coated Hooker LT's or the new and improved Jet Hot coated headers, I mean if thy improved on something thats alreay been a gret product.. it sounds like a good idea..
Yeah, if the quality and fit are there, these ought to be good headers.
They are supposed to have thicker tubes, thicker flanges, and they relocated the o2 bungs for better fit on the wiring harness. Although I am still on the fence with the Jet-Hots because folks are just getting the 1st ones in the mail, there is no feedback on fit yet. Plus it could be argued that the extras on the header make for more weight right over the front tires... the worst place for it.
I must admit though, the pics I am seeing posted of the Jet-Hots that are arriving look like it's a dam good product. Very clean looking... no stray welds or funny joints. The collector could just be a little smoother IMO.
Dave
Old 12-06-2002, 09:58 AM

Too many complaints about FLP's? When did this start happening? I have heard nothing but good things about FLP's. They are just modified Dynatech race headers. There are quite a few people locally to me that run either the dynatech or FLP's that have no complaints about them.

Adam J
Old 12-06-2002, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Blkknight
Too many complaints about FLP's? When did this start happening? I have heard nothing but good things about FLP's. They are just modified Dynatech race headers. There are quite a few people locally to me that run either the dynatech or FLP's that have no complaints about them.

Adam J
Go to all the different LS1 sites and do searches. You will find many problems.
Some, but not all:
Loss of HP due to KR (knock retard)
Oil plug that won't come out due to tubes to close.
Burnt oil filter/overheated oil (Filter pics look like the filter literally melted! Scary stuff.)
Banging pipes
Steering binding on pipes
Rust/Flaking
Poor customer service (How would you like to be told to take a bar and bend your $1300 headers when you have a problem. Or hammer the floor pan upwards to make them fit... Hell for $1300 they should come to his house and replace the headers personally.)
Etc...
Alot more than you would expect for the highest priced tubes around.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by LS1CamaroSS
Yes, but I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it, b/c sometimes in tryin to make something that's already great just a little bit better to try and make it perfect, you can mess up and make it worse. I gotta put my vote to the hookers, especially since the jet-hots aren't even on anyone's car yet and there are no proven facts about them!
Old 12-15-2002, 05:37 AM

heres the deal with the jet hots. i know because before i heard about them making headers themselves i was gonna gat the hookers and have them coated at jet hot. the jet hot coating looks like chrome. these are some of the things they sent me about the coating. the coating will not change color like chrome or stainless, lowers underhood temp by 40+ degrees, keeps the pipes 25% cooler and supposedly picks up 1-3% hp. highly rust resistant. 3 year unlimited guarantee against chipping, peeling, cracking, discoloration and rusting. also a lifetime rust through guarantee. they quoted me 279 + s&h back to coat the hookers. all if the above advantages and guarantees are on their new headers they are making also. the reason that nobody has the jet hots on their cars yet are they just made them. they are brand new. like november new i think. so you have the information now. make youre own decision. ive made mine, im calling jet hot on monday and ordering mine.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by 3GLT16speed
heres the deal with the jet hots. i know because before i heard about them making headers themselves i was gonna gat the hookers and have them coated at jet hot. the jet hot coating looks like chrome. these are some of the things they sent me about the coating. the coating will not change color like chrome or stainless, lowers underhood temp by 40+ degrees, keeps the pipes 25% cooler and supposedly picks up 1-3% hp. highly rust resistant. 3 year unlimited guarantee against chipping, peeling, cracking, discoloration and rusting. also a lifetime rust through guarantee. they quoted me 279 + s&h back to coat the hookers. all if the above advantages and guarantees are on their new headers they are making also. the reason that nobody has the jet hots on their cars yet are they just made them. they are brand new. like november new i think. so you have the information now. make youre own decision. ive made mine, im calling jet hot on monday and ordering mine.
Why were you gonna buy the hookers somewhere else and then send them to jet-hot? That would be way more expensive. If you call jet-hot, they sell hookers with their coating on it for $548 shipped to your door. So i'm goin that route.
Old 12-15-2002, 01:19 PM

i didnt know that. it didnt say anything about that on their website so i just asked them for a quote to get some coated. i was gonna call them and see if they already had some before i got some.
Old 12-15-2002, 01:30 PM

Yeah, I don't think it says anything on their website, I found out from a friend, it's a great deal.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:27 PM

Go to the sponsor forum on LS1.com.
Chris with Jet-Hot posts there. He puts up specials and GPs there too...
Good luck
Dave
Old 12-16-2002, 12:11 AM

Question What about the QTP set?

What about the Quick Time Performance LT Headers Set with their Y-Pipe???? They look amazing....I mean if price weren't an issue, what do you think?

And how long does it usually take for LT Headers to be delivered?
Old 12-16-2002, 08:30 AM

Re: Re: Whats wrong with QTP LT Headers?

Originally posted by Blkknight
There is nothing wrong with them as a header. If you are worried about emissions then the QTP headers will not work right now. Catalytic converters are considered a required part for emissions in most states. So no cats no pass.

But there is hope. I found this in my search for a Ypipe since alot of people are copying the Grott headers.

http://www.stealthperf.com/ppc.htm

They say they are designed after the Grott headers as are the QTP's. They do offer a cat version ypipe. So if you really wanted to you could buy the headers from Barry at QTP because I know he'll take care of you, then buy the ypipe from these guys. It SHOULD fit, it would be a minor gamble.

Adam J
I quote myself.

Adam J
Old 12-16-2002, 01:16 PM

My Hookers are sitting in the garage waiting for me to install them. I did alot of research on headers and threw out SLP for cost and prior bad exp. with their shorties on my LT1. I threw out FLP for cost, quality problems.

Hooker LT's are well priced, you can get them Jet Hot coated in and out from JetHot, they come with gaskets, clamps, and 02 Extesions.

Not bad....

Quick Reply: Lt Headers Decision: Which Would You Go With?