LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

installing headers....help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 10:10 PM

installing headers....help

I'm installing my Jet Hot Headers right now and need some help. The passenger side slid up like butter!!!! I loved it.

Now onto the driver's side. I'm gonna have to make a notch in the K-memeber and maybe disconnect the steering linkage. But the header is also hitting the big suspension piece that the spindle and lower front control arm is mounted to. Looks kind of like a burger where the cheese sticks out around the whole bun, that is where it is welded together. I think I need to make a notch in it. My question is, is that safe to do???

also, the header bolts of the driver's side were shorter than the passenger side. And the new header bolts I got from Jet Hot are all the same length. Is this going to be a problem?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:19 PM

I've heard of people having to notch the k-member when installing pacesetters but not the jet-hots. Are you sure you have it all lined up correctly. I don't know exactly where it needs to be notched on the pacesetter LT install, but I would guess the same area. I would say it's safe to notch it if it is absolutely necessary. I have not yet had the joy of installing headers on an f-body so I am only relaying what I have read about other installs. Maybe someone with personal experience can chime in and give their personal experience.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:23 PM

Every set of pacesetters (including my own) The K-member has needed to be notched. No worries about doing that, as for the other thing its hitting i can't think of what that could be. Try lowering the tranny a couple inches to see if it will give you enough room to get it up there. Make sure you use the stock metal gaskets and DO NOT use the paper ones they give you. Use your stock headers bolts too if you'd like. Tighten em from the middle out.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:05 PM

[i]Make sure you use the stock metal gaskets and DO NOT use the paper ones they give you. [/B]
why not? the ones they sent me aren't just paper, they have metal in them too. Besides, my stock gaskets are kinda rusty, and that won't make for a good seal.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:31 AM

buy new metal gaskets from GM or thunder racing...they are the best ones.

check to see if the header is hitting part of the casting "ears" on the side of the block. i just installed my Flowtechs last nite, and one of the pieces from the casting of the block was in the way. it took 5 min with a hacksaw (gotta love alum) and it was off. header slid in without problem after that.

sofar i havn't had to notch anything (unless you count that casting part), the K member is a bit close but i'll find out if it hits sat when i get it fired up.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:52 AM

thanks guys. Its off to the garage now for day 2 of my install.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:15 AM

Me and my brother put jet hot long tubes on his 99 ss camaro

It doesn't matter that all the header bolts are the same it works fine, and by the way their is no need for any notching or cutting for that matter. Jet hot designed their headers perfect. Just make sure you get the car really high so you can fit the header in on the drivers side. You almost hace to stand the header on its end when you begin to put it on. The linkage has to be removed and a little peice with two bolts thats right beside the oil filter was aken off for a moment so I could get the header into place.

Jet hot long tubes do not require any cutting or notching anywhere. That goes for the lt1 cars to because I have jet hots on my lt1.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner
Old 04-09-2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by T/A KID

Jet hot long tubes do not require any cutting or notching anywhere. That goes for the lt1 cars to because I have jet hots on my lt1.
Not all header of the same brand fit equally. Many people have had headers fit right up without notching or removing the linkage, while other people had to notch the k member and the linkage so it wouldn't hit the header when turning and knock the floorboard up because the collectors were touching the floorpan. I have the car high enough, thats not the problem, neither is the linkage. Because of the k member and the other suspension piece, it won't even go that far. believe me, I spent 1 1/2 hours trying.

Last edited by GoFast908Z; 04-09-2004 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by T/A KID
Me and my brother put jet hot long tubes on his 99 ss camaro

It doesn't matter that all the header bolts are the same it works fine, and by the way their is no need for any notching or cutting for that matter. Jet hot designed their headers perfect. Just make sure you get the car really high so you can fit the header in on the drivers side. You almost hace to stand the header on its end when you begin to put it on. The linkage has to be removed and a little peice with two bolts thats right beside the oil filter was aken off for a moment so I could get the header into place.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner
His experience is EXACTLY the same as mine. Word for word.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:35 PM

Now that I read this I'm gonna take a closer look but getting the driver header in was not the problem, it slipped in with the steering linkage remove. Problem was that the header was touching the K-member when I tightened it, and I had to do some trimming.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:52 PM

Well i had to disconnect the steering linkage and notch the k member (but not in the usual place, I'll post pics later.) Everything is done, and I'm gonna get a shower before I fire her up!