LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

I'm Sure You've Seen This Post a Million Times Before Already.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 10:37 AM

Hey guys, man, let me tell ya, finding this place is almost like running into a working water fountain in the middle of the desert. I was at another board, www.LS1.com, but managed to get banned because I couldn't see the logic of kissing the *** of some girl who kept posting her pictures on the multitopic section, and a moderator, who happened to be a good friend of the aforementioned female got me blacklisted.

Now then, I've read many posts on various aspects of modifiying these cars to make them perform better, and everyone seems to have a different suggestion.

Well, here's my issue. Like a few others here, I don't know much about my car (but I'd like to learn), and I'd like it to be faster than it is stock, because recently I got into a stoplight race with a light blue Nissan 200sx(?) and the kid was able to hang with me. I have a bone stock 99 A4 Z28, and I sadly enough don't know anything about what I should do, in order for that not to happen again.

So I guess I'm asking for a list of modifications, in order, that you believe I should consider for my Z28, with the understanding that this car is my daily driver and only car, so I won't be turning her into a track car or anything like that.

So, quickness while remaining friendly under my hands.

Can do?
Old 10-16-2003, 10:59 AM

Intake, Exhaust, Headers, Gears are the 4 most common speed adders I hear about.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:17 AM

super sucker ram air
texas speed & perf lid (or any lid really)
hi flow air filter (k&n or holley)
3" flowtech cutout
throttle body bypass
160* thermostat

all those combined should cost between $400 and $450 depending on sales and shipping. they are all simple additions with basic tools (screw drivers and a socket set), except the cutout since that needs welding at a shop.

and all those combined you should gain a solid 25hp to the wheels, and they in no way affect daily drivability.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:28 AM

Cool

You lost to a 200SX???

Anyway... Welcome to the board!

So, why not reading through some of the pages before posting the question? Read through the first 5-10 pages and you'll be sure to find answers to most of your questions.

There is a search functon, too.

Since being a jerk is definetely not my intention , I'll continue the list already started by the other guys: higher stall TC and sticky tires alone are sure to get you into the low 13's, maybe even to high 12's.

Later!

TS
Old 10-16-2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by 95GRNZ
You lost to a 200SX???

Anyway... Welcome to the board!

So, why not reading through some of the pages before posting the question? Read through the first 5-10 pages and you'll be sure to find answers to most of your questions.

There is a search functon, too.

Since being a jerk is definetely not my intention , I'll continue the list already started by the other guys: higher stall TC and sticky tires alone are sure to get you into the low 13's, maybe even to high 12's.

Later!

TS
Well, I guess I was trying to get you knowledgeable types to give me a basic list, sort of a:

1. Do this
2. Do this
3. Do this

Instead of the piecemeal advice given on specific items that I sadly enough know little about. So, yeah.

And trust me my friend, that smiley face was pretty much MY face when we went to ninety and he held even. So, while he didn't "win" perse, it was a mark in the kid's favor that he'd gotten that little car to be that fast. I had to respect THAT at least, ya know?
Old 10-16-2003, 12:38 PM

Smile

Items recommended to me to start out with:

Intake
Exhaust
T/C
Shift kit
Tranny cooler
MAF

BTW: Welcome to teh best Camaro site on teh interweb.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Jilly
Items recommended to me to start out with:

Intake
Exhaust
T/C
Shift kit
Tranny cooler
MAF

BTW: Welcome to teh best Camaro site on teh interweb.
Thank you! Quick question, I'd heard that a torque converter robs you of some top end, is that true? There are a couple places in Orlando where I can really wring my baby out, and I've seen the needle past the 155 mark a couple of times, I'd hate to lose that, ya know?
Old 10-16-2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by StormSigma
Quick question, I'd heard that a torque converter robs you of some top end, is that true?
Now that I can't tell you, as I don't have one yet, and am still learning. But I'm sure someone else here can. I wouldn't think it would though...
Old 10-16-2003, 02:02 PM

Oh yeah...do the free mods also. www.installuniversity.com
Old 10-16-2003, 02:17 PM

1. Lid w/ KN Filter
2. MAF, TB etc at installuniversity.com (people will argue this one im sure)
3. Cutout
4. Tires
5. Stall
6. Headers and Off road pipe
7. LS6 intake
8. Cam
9. If its still not fast enough some heads

Oh and dont post on engagements ending in the lounge.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Black01_Z
1. Lid w/ KN Filter
2. MAF, TB etc at installuniversity.com (people will argue this one im sure)
3. Cutout
4. Tires
5. Stall
6. Headers and Off road pipe
7. LS6 intake
8. Cam
9. If its still not fast enough some heads

Oh and dont post on engagements ending in the lounge.
Engagements ending in the lounge? I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, my friend.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:20 PM

Engagements ending in the lounge? I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, my friend.
Hehe, it was just a joke. Go visit the Lounge.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:27 PM

Thank you! Quick question, I'd heard that a torque converter robs you of some top end, is that true? There are a couple places in Orlando where I can really wring my baby out, and I've seen the needle past the 155 mark a couple of times, I'd hate to lose that, ya know?
A TC does not impact the top speed capability of your car.

When someone refers to top end, they are referring to the top end of the 1/4 mile.

And yes, if you do not take care in selecting your TC to match your mods and your drive train set up, there is the possibilty of losing top end MPH, while still reducing your ET.

But, get the right TC with the right parameters to match your set up and you will see even more dramatic gains in ET as well as an improvement in your top end MPH ...
Old 10-16-2003, 07:17 PM

I would never do this unless a 4 cylinder could hang with my car, but NOS will definitely help you out.
Are you sure you son't have a V6? J/k

Last edited by krillanaross; 10-16-2003 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:27 PM

Cool

I agree so far with all the mods people have listed. One thing I want to stress on is TIRES. After you've done some of the other mods mentioned (changed air-lid for better intake flow, changed exhaust for better flow, etc.,) and you start increasing the RWHP of the car, you will inevitably overcome the capability of factory tires. I've learned this the hard way myself. Even after going to the trouble of installing 3.73's in my car (which are no longer in there..............long story ) I saw NO improvement in my 1/4 mile time, and actually a decrease in 1/4 mile speed!! (and it was 100% due to running $h!tty tires).

If you decided to either change the gears in your car (which is to help improve acceleration by making it easier for the engine to get the car moving) or changing the torque converter (which is done to get the engine higher into its power band before it starts trying to move the car) then you will definitely notice a significant loss in traction unless you're running good tires. As this is your daily-driver, you may not want to cruise around on drag-radials, so try doing a SEARCH on the site to determine what the best type of "sticky" street tires might be (I've gotta do the same myself before next summer!).

IMO, you shouldn't have any trouble beating a Nissan?!