LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

how do I get better low end torque in my new WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 06:52 PM

Re: how do I get better low end torque in my new WS6?

It seems as though the transistion here is a seldom one going from an LT1 to LS1? I hate working on my LT1 that damn OPTI is what killed it for me. Anyways that for the help I just dont see any other way that throwing a D1SC supercharger and calling it a day.

Later
Brian
Old 05-15-2006, 11:25 PM

How much you sellin your 96 for?

PM with details when you get a chance.

Thanks.

Ruben F.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:31 PM

why doyou want low end torque... are you going to be racing people from 500k-2500k rpms?
Old 05-17-2006, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by 93redBirdMan
Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races...
The 4 banger quote is...:

"Horsepower sells turbos, torque wins races"

Torque definitely wins races... a roll race isn't a race. Race him from a dig and i'm sure it'll be much closer. Besides... 390rwhp? That's a good amount of rwhp man.

Low end torque rules... I lost some of it with my build which kinda sucks but it's insane how much I have at 3000.

My friends LS6 dynoed like almost 500rwhp and 450rwtq. I had nearly 100lbs of torque more at 3k. haha

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about low end torque to much... it makes driving easier. Plus... if you want that torque, rev that bitch up to 3k and drop it.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:29 AM

There are a few cam options that are tailer to create a swell in low end torque without sacrificing the top end. I can understand you wanting more low end in your ride and on the street if makes the car feel alot more responsive.. as if you dont need to give as much as you are accustomed to.

A nice of "low" cc heads with a well match cam will get that worked out. But its important that some combos will make your peaks move up and down so keep that in mind.

Heres the thing.. low end torque gets you moving but to much and you'll smoke the tires. Not enough low end and you'll hit midrange like a NOS hit, and most likely lost grip, with an abundance of hihg end hp/trq. Finding that sweet spot, a nice linear powerband is the key to keeping those tires hooked. To much low end torque however and you'll run out of steam, in most cases, before you reach redline.

Headers help out but stay away from a cutout... it'll uncork your exhaust which will gain your top end but rev right through the-mid end of the powerband.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by GhostZ28
totally incorrect! Ever heard of a Dump-Truck? LOADS of torque! will it win a race? maybe against a snail.

The higher the horsepower is the more force applied at an accerated rate. What is important is having your horsepower and torque numbers close.

My Dad's Maserati has 390RWHP/280 torque. It weighs a bit more than my car and --although i have him off the line, in a highway race or a 50 MHP pull....

I GET SMOKED!
hey, thats still not bad. your dads massarati is the coupe or quarttoporte? He has more power than you, has a slick auto/manual trans, and a ferrari 8cylinder, if its any of the newer models...

they have top end but with a fewer set of mods, you'll take you pops out, trust me, he'll just be riding a bit smoother than you, but thats it!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 12:45 PM

i personally love the flat torque curve that my TSP Torquer yielded. it doesn't peak too high, somewhere between 6200 and 6500 i'd say. i can't wait to see what the difference is when i put some small runner Dart 205 heads on it.

keep a nice tight lobe separation and it will help keep the power lower in the rpm band. it may not idle great...but who care?

i remember i did a quick comparison of the dyno that Kraest had for his cam only vette when it was making 415rwhp. with some simple averaging he only had 5 more Lb-ft of torque across the rpm range from 3000 to 6500, even though he had me by 30hp.

just some interesting info
Old 05-17-2006, 01:29 PM

stock 96 lt1 bought the car from dealership 3 years ago.. they said they put a new lt1 in it lol.. wtf? lt1s dont make that torque :/ donno how much difference in hp it would of been without the floor mat in the way.. but its noticable on the street (stupid floor mat lol).. im planning on buying a 01-02 WS6 soon gunna put an sts turbo on it

Last edited by RED82TA5.7L; 05-17-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:43 PM

That quote "Horespower sells cars, torque wins races" I believe was said by John Lingenfelter, so you can argue with him if you'd like...be my guest.

I'm not saying horsepower isnt important, that would be rediculous.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by obzidian
hey, thats still not bad. your dads massarati is the coupe or quarttoporte? He has more power than you, has a slick auto/manual trans, and a ferrari 8cylinder, if its any of the newer models...

they have top end but with a fewer set of mods, you'll take you pops out, trust me, he'll just be riding a bit smoother than you, but thats it!!!
He has the Coupe, 2005 ferarri 4.2L DOHC engine Ya i'm sure his flywheel HP is much higher, because it has IRS and the cambiocorsa gearbox eats hp like crazy, maybe around 28% loss. (according to a ferrari guy here in town) But ya that trasmission is bretty bad a$$ though. In the owners manual it specificly states that it is a MANUAL gearbox with the capability of auto shifting, whats the difference

But god its fun revving that thing to 7500 RPMS and STILL having power. It sounds wicked too..
Old 05-18-2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by RED82TA5.7L
donno how much difference in hp it would of been without the floor mat in the way.. but its noticable on the street (stupid floor mat lol)..
Are you serious?
Old 05-18-2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by 93Phoenix
Are you serious?
yes it didnt allow the trottle to open all the way. i tested it
Old 05-18-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by RED82TA5.7L
yes it didnt allow the trottle to open all the way. i tested it
Wait until you have one that doesn't let the throttle close.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by 93redBirdMan
That quote "Horespower sells cars, torque wins races" I believe was said by John Lingenfelter, so you can argue with him if you'd like...be my guest.
No it wasn't. It was rumored that Carroll Shelby has said that, but all that can be substantiated is that it is a rumor, and nothing more.

Last edited by RussStang; 05-19-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisUlrich
The 4 banger quote is...:

"Horsepower sells turbos, torque wins races"

Torque definitely wins races... a roll race isn't a race. Race him from a dig and i'm sure it'll be much closer. Besides... 390rwhp? That's a good amount of rwhp man.

Low end torque rules... I lost some of it with my build which kinda sucks but it's insane how much I have at 3000.

My friends LS6 dynoed like almost 500rwhp and 450rwtq. I had nearly 100lbs of torque more at 3k. haha

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about low end torque to much... it makes driving easier. Plus... if you want that torque, rev that bitch up to 3k and drop it.
Low end torque doesn't do much in a race, unless you like to launch off of idle. High end torque (i.e. horsepower) is what wins the race. People too often look at horsepower and torque as two entirely different ratings, when the two ratings are completely intertwined. Low end torque is great in a street car going from point A to point B, but in a race it is all about keeping the car higher in the powerband, and the farther up the torque curve can be pushed the more aggressively the car can be geared, and the faster it will go.

Prostock engines aren't reknowned for their low end torque capabilities, but they don't have to be, because the cars race at 10,000rpm the whole way down the track, and they still manage to pull off a 6 sec 1320. Its all about powerband.

Quick Reply: how do I get better low end torque in my new WS6?