LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

HELP! AC Leaking Water Inside, HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 01:44 PM

Post HELP! AC Leaking Water Inside, HELP PLEASE!

I started getting water dumped inside the car, it's cold, so I am pretty sure it's AC condensation that's not getting drained properly. On my old car (a vw) I found a drain hose running from the passenger compartment to the firewall that was stopped up with gunk, I would assume I have the same problem on my Camaro, I just can't find the hose.

Anyone have any idea how to get to it without either dropping the motor or removing the complete dash?

Am I looking for the right thing? Or should I look at something else causing the leak? Thanks for your help!

------------------
www.solo2.org/camaro/
Old 06-10-2002, 07:00 PM

you evaporator/container is leaking or drain hose is clogged
Old 06-10-2002, 07:51 PM

I found it this evening.

On the passenger side, on the engine side of the firewall, if you look between the header and the frame there is a black plastic canister (not round) that protrudes out of the passenger compartment. On the bottom of this canister has a hole a little smaller than a dime. I happened to have a light up there and noticed the hole was semi wet and blocked off by something inside. I grabbed a screw drive and pushed very lightly and the gyser started. Water everywhere. It looked like a clogged drain, jsut a little hair and dust and who knows what else, just a little push opened it right up. So problem solved for now. Sometime I will get under there and take a camera shot of it to post online on some forums, I meant to take mine tonight but forgot.

------------------
www.solo2.org/camaro/
Old 06-11-2002, 09:46 PM

I just posted a question about the same thing. I have a '99 Trans Am. Can you say design flaw? I'm going out there with my screwdriver right now. Thanks for answering your own question.

p.s. The first reply was real helpful, wasn't it?
Old 06-12-2002, 08:11 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sicvic:
I just posted a question about the same thing. I have a '99 Trans Am. Can you say design flaw? I'm going out there with my screwdriver right now. Thanks for answering your own question.

p.s. The first reply was real helpful, wasn't it?
</font>
Did you end up getting yours fixed?
Old 06-14-2002, 08:16 PM

Not yet. I've gotten home late all week, and it's too damn buggy here at night to get under the thing. I'll do it tomorow and let you know.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:15 PM

Thumbs up

I finally got under my car today. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I never would have found that little hole. Mine was plugged up by a small piece of thick white paper - maybe a part number label? I stole the vacuum cleaner from the house and was able to suck it out with the crevice tool. You might want to take a look under there again after running the A/C for a few days and make sure that you got everything out.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:58 PM

Re: HELP! AC Leaking Water Inside, HELP PLEASE!

[I recently chased the same problem for weeks and even removed the entire interior just to dry it out. Ruled out the heater core and re-sealed the A/C box from the inside and verified the drain several times even with compressed air. Days later the car was soaking wet on the passenger side. No clue how. Long
story short there is a wire harness that runs through the firewall on the passenger side. When water runs down the windshield it hits the plastic cowl panel and flows down running over the wire harness. Over time the seal shrinks. Difficult to repair a tight space. Check this before going any further.

QUOTE=Solo2;83434]I started getting water dumped inside the car, it's cold, so I am pretty sure it's AC condensation that's not getting drained properly. On my old car (a vw) I found a drain hose running from the passenger compartment to the firewall that was stopped up with gunk, I would assume I have the same problem on my Camaro, I just can't find the hose.

Anyone have any idea how to get to it without either dropping the motor or removing the complete dash?

Am I looking for the right thing? Or should I look at something else causing the leak? Thanks for your help!

------------------
www.solo2.org/camaro/[/QUOTE]
Old 01-01-2021, 02:23 PM

Re: HELP! AC Leaking Water Inside, HELP PLEASE!

Glad ya'll found the hole! Ironically enough, when I was bringing my car home new from the dealership, I also got a puddle of water in my floorboard AND IT WAS NEW! Took it back of course, and it seems the hose wasn't hooked up at the factory...