LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Getting a Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 02:13 PM

Getting a Camaro

It's time to retire my old Ramcharger for something a little better on gas and more reliable. I don't think I can part with the power of a V8 so I'm gettin me a Camaro. What should I look for in one. I want a LS1 so I know I have to get a 98 or newer but aside from that what year with the LS1 is more desireable. Are there any diferances? It would be nice to get a 35th aniversary but as far as I can see that 35th emblem adds a pretty penny to the price. I'm gona go out shopping today after dinner and would like to know if there is anything I should look specifically for. I know the Z28 has better suspension over the RS (which I wouldn't get anyways) but does the SS have better suspension over the Z28. And as far as I can tell the SS has a few more ponies than the Z28. But is the price hike worth it? What do I get for the extra couple $k for the SS? I want the 6spd but I'm told they are harder to get ahold of. Thanks for any info, just can't wait to get one.

Last edited by jm8881; 02-09-2003 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:27 PM

First of all, I wish you luck as you venture out to purcahse a Camaro. You'll love yours, I love mine.

Secondly, I will tell you, from what I know of (which isn't much), the differences between the SS and Z28.

1. SS's come stock w/ leather int. and power seats.

2. SS comes w/ a K&N air filter

3. SS comes w/ a flow master exhaust

4. SS (newer ones at least) come w/ SLP air lid

5. SS comes with a "tweaked" suspension (compared to Z28)

About the 6spd, I'm not sure whether or not they are hard to get a hold of. I bought mine just last month , and it was the only SS on the lot, which happend to be a 6spd.

As for the SS being worth the money, I would say 'eh.' It's a couple of thousand more, but, considering the differences, it might run about that to throw the stuff in yourself. I was shooting for a z28 (cause they're cheaper) and I ran into this which fit my description. Rally red, T tops, 98+.

I think these are the MAIN differences, I could be wrong; I'm going by what people have told me. There is probably more, so let's see what others have to say.

;D
Old 02-09-2003, 03:22 PM

I noticed a few things wrong in the last post.

1. SS can come with same options as any Z28, i.e. leather is not standard.
2. SS come with same paper filter as Z28
3. SS do not come with flows, but do come with a little better flowing exhaust compared to Z28, which is usually first mod done.
4. The SS will only come with a SLP lid as an option. Its extra for the 345 HP package which comes with the lid.
5. Yes the suspension is a little better than the Z, it also come with 17 inch rims compared to 16's on a Z.

The extra money spent on an SS is a Hood, Spoiler, Rims, and an exhaust. It is usually about 3k+ for SS options, but could be more at places now since none are made anymore.

Good luck in your search.

Mark
Old 02-09-2003, 03:32 PM

Yeah, SS doesn't come w/ Flows or a K&N filter. Dunno where that came from.

Basically the SS is MAINLY a looks thing. Sure the CAI (more commonly referred to as ram air) adds a few extra horses, and the exhaust might too, but all in all you won't see barely any performance increase with ANY LS1-based f-body. They'll all be relatively the same.

So basically if you could give a rat's *** about looks, get the Z28. If you like the looks, and don't mind spending extra, get the SS. Look for as low of mileage as you can get though IMO. Cause who knows what someone else has done to it. I got extremely lucky finding my WS6 with only 2,500 original miles on it, so I know that even if it was ragged, it wasn't ragged long enough to screw anything up too bad.

Have you considered a Trans Am?

J/k. Good luck w/ findin a car though, and if you do have to settle for an auto, it's not a bad thing. I was originally about to guy a manual WS6, but then I came across the almost brand new automatic, and I figured what the hey. I've alreayd got a shift kit in it to firm up the shifts, and a torque convertor's sitting in my trunk waiting to get installed. Auto's can be nice too

Let us know when u buy somethin!
Old 02-09-2003, 03:59 PM
Banned

get a z28 and with the cash u saved get some mods....
the ss ram air blows anyway most get the fast toys ram air or whisper which is way better and is only like 129 to 175 depending on where u get it

good luck
and remebr to get a black one
Old 02-09-2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by stik6shift98
get a z28 and with the cash u saved get some mods....
the ss ram air blows anyway most get the fast toys ram air or whisper which is way better and is only like 129 to 175 depending on where u get it

good luck
and remebr to get a black one
I agree 100%. When I was on the market for a car, I weighed the options and the extra money was basically throwning it down the drain. I had done it out in another post where a hood, exhaust, spoiler and rims could be done for around 2k compared to the 3k+. Some SS owners will talk about resale value of an SS compared to a Z, my opinion is that if you get a new camaro, never let go of it!

Silver....silver...silver....

Mark
Old 02-09-2003, 04:37 PM
Banned

ya i have ss hood rims and spoiler on my z28 and it looks awsome and was way cheaper
Old 02-09-2003, 06:48 PM

Good choice on the Camaro...esp. cuz now you can talk on the boards about all sorts of crap...
Old 02-09-2003, 06:56 PM

ttt...yeah good thing you got a camaro!!!!

Last edited by stik6shift00; 02-09-2003 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:17 PM

Just got back from driving all over town looking at f-body's. Saw a whole hell of a lot of 3.8l's and a few LS1's but none with a 6 spd. I'm still looking though. There was a hella nice 2000 Z28 with only 23k miles. Not sure how much $ though but I'm in the mood to spend some bucks. I also seen a mint red 2000 SS but it had 45k miles. Gona look for a few more days, trying to find that elusive 6spd. The SS seems nice but I think the money just might not be worth it. Oh and I did see a couple TA's but no WS6's, which is what it would have to be for me to get it because I like the looks of a Camaro better. And so the search continues....
Old 02-09-2003, 07:20 PM

ttt
Old 02-10-2003, 02:00 AM

Well with my experience in looking for a 98 + LS1 Fbody, is M6 cars are harder to get then A4.. I went looking for over a year and a half trying to find a 98 + LS1 Fbody w/ M6, no luck so when I finally found the 02 Z28, I own now, I could not pass up the deal... 10K Miles for $ 21,300 (Blue Book was $ 26,555) plus Sales Manage was a friend of my family... Well to make a long story short, I decided to stop looking for a M6 and just buy an A4 plus I will pick up an M6 for my project that I am in the process of restoring, so I can have the best of both worlds, a4 for my Daily Driver and M6 for Gas Guzzling Toy...
Old 02-10-2003, 09:03 AM
Banned

should have got a stik.....
Old 02-10-2003, 04:58 PM

Look at it this way, any aftermarket air induction will add way more hp than the SS ram air does for a fraction of the cost. Whether you get a Z28 or SS your gonna replace the exhuast either way.

Even if your not gonna mod your car, ram air is good for 1-2 hp and a 3 inch exhuast on ths SS opposed to 2.75 inch on the Z isnt gonna add up to much at all. Basically your buying strictly an appearance package only. For $3500 the SS is about the worst power for dollar addition you can do. But if you like the looks there is no reason not to get the SS. But if your looking for power keep the $3500 and do a head/cam/gears/ and some form of Intake whether it be CAI, lid/filter, FIPK whatever, with that money. Its up to you. Then there's always the SS factor, and you have to decide if you want that. Thats the instant respect people will give your car when they hear SS, that a Z28 normally wouldnt get because people are quick to judge cars simply since they are ignorant morons.

BTW
BLACK BLACK BLACK and did I mention BLACK!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2003, 05:18 PM

yeah the ss has better suspension..tires...hood..spoiler..and the retail value is much more..your better off getting a SS i know alot of people that have z's that regret not gettting the upgrade

Quick Reply: Getting a Camaro