LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

FlowMAster Cat BAck or SLP Loudmouth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 06:30 AM

Re: FlowMAster Cat BAck or SLP Loudmouth?

yea, psycho is right
flowmaster is only bad when you get the 80 series (crossflow)
for some reason they didn't get it to flow as well as other companies do with theirs (mostly because they still had to have a good sound i suppose)
Old 04-28-2005, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
GMMG sounds like crap.
I guess everyone has their own opinion, but what kind of F-body owner would call a deep roar muscle car sound crap for an F-body?

Truthfully I think its hard to make a F-body sound like crap, let alone with a nice system like GMMG.

Do you have any reason for this claim? Almost everytime I go out driving I always get compliments on my exhaust.

I also have to agree that the 80 series, and basically all crossflow mufflers seem like a bad design.

-Dustin-

Last edited by Bersaglieri; 04-28-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:54 PM

i have the slp loudmouth and i like it. i have a daily driver but it gets really loud around 2k rpm and is pretty bad on roads with 55-60 mph but highway is great.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:08 PM

My reason for the claim is I had it on my car and I think it sounds like crap.

I think the GMMG exhaust is HIGHLY over rated and a lot of people jump on the "I love it" band wagon.

I think it is not for everyone. To me personally it sounds like you either just installed a cut out leaving your cats on or are going with the REALLY red-neck cherry bomb approach.

GMMG gives it a whispy sound instead of a deap throaty sound like Mufflex or Mustangs with dual flowmasters.

Most people who like GMMG will agree to keep the exhaust sounding good you have to keep the cats on and if you go with LT headers you have to get Kook's.

I had the GMMG with Mac's and no cats and to me it sounded whispy and queer.

Just my personal opinon, many people would disagree.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:10 PM

O Power loss? What did it gain with the Flowmaster? After reading all the reviews and post, I would say the way to go is with the SLP, but being that ever since I was 13, witch is about 16 years now, I have always liked FlowMaster, well after doing some shopping, I picked up a Flowmaster system for $325 installed from a local performance shop.

The sound is pretty good for stock, it's not as loud as my 94 was, but that one had headers. Whats funny is that it sounds like a mustang to me? My next thing is to get some headers, but I also mailed off my first car payment today, aswell as my house payment, so it will be another month or so.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:25 PM

I was at a dyno day and there was a GMMG amoung other.. .GMMG was not good IMO as well.. I didnt understand why people liked it..

I did like Corsa.. Very smooth and stong sound to it.. Refined yet powerful..

My Force II Iflowmaster on my LT1 was great.. Not as loud as a Borla. Not as raspy as a Borla.. Super quiet at idle but with a deep rumble so its felt not heard.

The stock exhaust sounds good to me tho.. partly because it sounds like no one elses and is so quiet. I dont have to worry about droning highway sounds.. I can listen to the engine if I want..

People talk exhaust.. Ferrari people talk engine.. I agree with them.. Engine sound is a better sound..
Old 04-28-2005, 06:00 PM

What about Random Tech??? They are under rated IMO.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:22 PM

low and rumbly doens't sound natural on an LS1 fbody. Even the stock muffler has a higher pitched tone to it. I like More exotic sounding systems, borla, loudmouth sounds good to me, corsa sounds excellent on vettes, but IMO sounds like a v6 when installed on fbodies, tri-flow puts a smile on my face when I hear it. LS1's were meant to be recognized for their performance, not their sound. LT1 cars will always sound better. Not only that, I don't like the design. They look like they were pelted with 12 gauge pellets, they're expensive for no real reason that I can tell, and last but not least, it's just my opinion. I don't like the sound. Sounds generic.

GMMG sounds like every typical aftermarket exhaust system out there, why go GMMG when flowmaster will get you the same sound for 1/2 the price? If you want big-block sound, bad news. You're driving a small-block car full of technology that isn't supposed to sound "low" and "Muscular." it's a more refined gurgle than a muscular rumble. A few more cylinders and they might just sound like v12 exotics.

Last edited by BirchMan98z; 04-30-2005 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
low and rumbly doens't sound natural on an LS1 fbody. Even the stock muffler has a higher pitched tone to it. I like More exotic sounding systems, borla, loudmouth sounds good to me, corsa sounds excellent on vettes, but IMO sounds like a v6 when installed on fbodies, tri-flow puts a smile on my face when I hear it. LS1's were meant to be recognized for their performance, not their sound. LT1 cars will always sound better.

GMMG sounds like every typical aftermarket exhaust system out there, why go GMMG when flowmaster will get you the same sound for 1/2 the price? If you want big-block sound, bad news. You're driving a small-block car full of technology that isn't supposed to sound "low" and "Muscular." it's a more refined gurgle than a muscular rumble. A few more cylinders and they might just sound like v12 exotics.
x2 for every bit of that
Old 04-30-2005, 11:28 PM

Wink Re: FlowMAster Cat BAck or SLP Loudmouth?

Guys, what it ends up coming down to is this is all about PERSONAL PREFERENCE!!! There is NO such thing as what system sounds the best as we all run what we think sounds the "best" to us.

Me personally...I have both the GMMG on my LT1 & LS1 Z28's and think that system sounds far and away better than any other cat-back (or even some true dual set-ups) that I've ever heard. Period. Combined with the headers + highflow cats I have on those cars, it easily has the deepest/throatiest, yet most refined muscle car roar I've heard at WOT. Do I think it is overrated? Absolutely not because it is compareable to other expensive systems like the Borla, B&B Triflow, & Corsa for example (yet it dyno/track performs just as good as any and I also happen to love the unique look of it from the rear). And getting back to sound, I've had the Random Tech, Hooker, Borla, SLP Loudmouth, and heard every single imagineable set-up possible, so I know what I like. Borlas & Loudmouths are the absolute worst sounding systems ever to me BTW... (YUCK!).

Anyways, chill out guys, just my opinion (doesn't make it right/doesn't make it wrong). This has got to be the most silly debated topic of all time (even I've participated too many times in the past). But it's really the same thing as asking as what girl is the prettiest, what's the coolest clothing style, best tasting food, etc. There will never be a true answer to this because those are all subjective topics that are all about personal preference.

I rest my case!

Take it easy everybody,

Mike
Old 05-01-2005, 02:02 AM

Well today is sunday, and I am going to have the CATS gutted out, (the guys at MIDAS asked me to come on a dead weekend day) will this trow any lights on a 02?
Old 05-01-2005, 03:10 AM

From the guy whose post we hijacked:

"Whats funny is that it sounds like a mustang to me?" (Referring to the Flowmaster).

That is because the LS1 has the same firing order as the old 5.0 therefore you get a similar sound.

Personally, the LT1 (unless it was cammed, going through longtubes AND a mufflex) sounds like @ss in comparison because of its firing order.

Lastly, children and small animals don't run in fear from the sound of an engine, they do it at the sound of a bad @ss motor blowing through a bad @ss exhaust !

Those ferrari guys ever set off rice burner's alarms in parking garages with their engines?!?!? !
Old 05-01-2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by 2nd2none
Well today is sunday, and I am going to have the CATS gutted out, (the guys at MIDAS asked me to come on a dead weekend day) will this trow any lights on a 02?
Yes, you will get an SES light. Fix w/O2 sims or get it "tuned" out. Tuners will turn it off for about $50, which is cheaper than 2 O2 sims.

Hollowing cats is stupid. Yes, you'll relieve some restriction, but you'll create a large cavity that will reduce exhaust velocity and cause turbulance. Get a pipe put inside the cat if you're going this route. Better yet, get some high flow cats off ebay for $110 for both. That way you keep running clean, and won't have the !cat smell. Its crap like this that has TX having to do emissions testing and gave the EPA the power to make us drop the highway speed limits.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:09 AM

Fortuantly, I dont think there are enough camaros trans ams or vettes in the world to get the EPAs attention. ( I used to work for them) even if Texas finnally does start to test emmisions(wich wont happen for MANY years. There will still be as always many shops in Texas that will overlook it.(for a tip) Just ask Chewy at that little mechanic shop.

I like your pipe idea, that sounds like a good one, I'm also gonna have that flat pipe on the driver side replaced with a normal one. This will last me till I get together more money to get my Headers. There only gonna charge me $50 and if I don't use it, my wife will use it buying Kim-chi and Bulgogi at the local Korean restraunt.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by 2nd2none
Fortuantly, I dont think there are enough camaros trans ams or vettes in the world to get the EPAs attention. ( I used to work for them) even if Texas finnally does start to test emmisions(wich wont happen for MANY years. There will still be as always many shops in Texas that will overlook it.(for a tip) Just ask Chewy at that little mechanic shop.

I like your pipe idea, that sounds like a good one, I'm also gonna have that flat pipe on the driver side replaced with a normal one. This will last me till I get together more money to get my Headers. There only gonna charge me $50 and if I don't use it, my wife will use it buying Kim-chi and Bulgogi at the local Korean restraunt.
I am in Houston.. which is in Texas.. and everytime I have had an inspection done.. funny thing.. they test emmisions... So.... I think texas does have emmisions testing..

also, have failed in the past when I had my 95Z.. and other times it has come on the margin of passing..

Quick Reply: FlowMAster Cat BAck or SLP Loudmouth?