LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Cat Back Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 07:23 PM

Question Cat Back Question

I have seen a lot of talk about the "right" cat back system. I have an 02 SS and looking for one. I have looked at Flowmaster, Dynomax, Magnaflow, Corsa and Borla. Do we have any idea which one gives the most HP gain? Is there some majical combination of best performance/best sounding? I am not looking for anything too loud...just looking more for the respect an LS1 deserves. I spoke with a muffler guy who seemed to know what he was doing. He said SLP (not the LM), Flowmaster and Dynomax were garbage. He sells Borla, Corsa and Magnaflow, and said the Magnaflow was the best.

Comments, direction and advise is apreciated.
Thanks!
Old 07-06-2003, 07:40 PM

I had the slp dual/dual that came on the car from slp... It was so quiet you couldnt even here the car. Then I put the slp loudmouth on. I loved the way it sounded but in the mornings and late night it was really loud. I then put the slp 2otl. I love the way it looks but It is too quiet. If I were you I would go with the magnaflow or the hooker catback.....Everyone seems to like theres....the only bad thing is the hooker catback is not stainless steel.....check the hooker out it goes for under $300....If I were to do it again I would go with the loudmouth or the magnaflow.....I like it loud....good luck
Old 07-06-2003, 07:50 PM

another vote for magnaflow
Old 07-06-2003, 09:04 PM

I may be biased, but I vote Borla. It may cost more, but look at what you get. Awesome sound, adjustability (so it can't be too quiet or too loud) and it's made of T304 stainless steel. The only thing that I would change about the system is the tips sold with it. But, with a little $$$ and a welder, that can be changed. Just my .02
Old 07-06-2003, 09:35 PM

I assume you didn't get the SLP dual center exhaust...

If you did, you better leave it there. Nothing else looks as good IMHO. I think that the stock pipes are pretty much the same for all SLP cat backs. If so they already have pretty fat pipes with smooth bends. Either way, I'd just change the muffler and leave the rest in stock SS form. Unless you want to change the looks of course.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the comments...keep 'em comin! I do not have any special SLP system. Just plain 'ol stock SS system with chrome dual outlet
Old 07-06-2003, 09:52 PM

I just went camarosuperfest here is Michigan and I listened to a lot of different combonations of exhaust systems. In my opinion the best sounding exhaust with or without headers (I heard it both ways) is the chambered exhaust system from GMMG. It isn't necessarily cheap $700 and $150 with the nice oval tips. But, I loved the way it sounded and now I have to have one. I have SLP dual/dual and it is a little too quiet.

Brian
Old 07-06-2003, 10:30 PM

I have the Magnaflow catback & I'm very pleased with it. It's smooth at idle but screams when you get on it especially with LT's. The loudmouth is the most free flowing exhaust out there period but it is extremely loud. I have yet to hear the GMMG in person but it sounds bada$$ in the clips. Still like to hear it in person. The Magnaflow has been tested & is one of the best flowing muffler exhausts.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by SunsetWS6
I have the Magnaflow catback & I'm very pleased with it. It's smooth at idle but screams when you get on it especially with LT's. The loudmouth is the most free flowing exhaust out there period but it is extremely loud. I have yet to hear the GMMG in person but it sounds bada$$ in the clips. Still like to hear it in person. The Magnaflow has been tested & is one of the best flowing muffler exhausts.
LM is loud and annoying in my opinion... Magnaflow sounds great but seems that no one has mentioned the DM mod.. Depends on how much money 2002 LS1SS wants to spend, I highly recommend to listening to Corsa, GMMG, Dynomouth, Magnaflow and Loudmouth... I have the DM on my car and comparing it too the LM is like night and day, LM is Loud and Raspy, while DM Loud @ Certain RPMS and has a Deep Rumble @ idle!! If I wanted to spend $400 - 700 for a cat back then I would look at Magnaflow and Corsa... But for $ 200 w/ muffler, tips and install, you cannot go wrong w/ DM plus the fact that both DM and LM flow the same, I just love the fact that my car does not have a loud raspy tone to it @ idle!!
Old 07-07-2003, 09:12 AM

As you can see, everybody likes what ever they have on their car, of course.

Since you are not looking anything too loud, my suggestion would definetely be Hooker. If I was to put a catback in my car (electric cutout and Flowmaster muffler are enough for me ), my choice would be it.

Check also www.ls1info.com for sound clips of many different catbacks and mod combinations.

And can't beat the price, either.

TS