LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Can you make an LS1 as fun down low as the LT1's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 08:26 PM

Re: Can you make an LS1 as fun down low as the LT1's?

Originally Posted by SSCamaro
Could be she has stupid geraing like 2.73's or something.
All M6 LS1's came with 3.42 gears. Only A4's had 2.73's unless they had the GU5 performance upgrade in which case they came with 3.23's.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by darrens99formul
All M6 LS1's came with 3.42 gears. Only A4's had 2.73's unless they had the GU5 performance upgrade in which case they came with 3.23's.
Or someone broke the rear and just threw whatever they could in there to get rid of the car.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:34 AM

I am starting to think of that because there was a lot of play in the driveshaft, way more than one would think.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:28 PM

Has it occured to anyone that 30% throttle at the pedal on an LT1 and LS1 could mean completely different things at the other end of that pedal? I mean, they use completely different throttle bodies. The LT1 uses a 2-bladed TB, and the LS1 uses a single-blade TB. I have no idea what each flows at various throttle openings, but I would imagine there are differences and I would imagine those differences are what many of you are "feeling". I bet if you put the same TB on both engines they would feel VERY similar below 3K.

Anyways, I highly doubt an LS-1 is any "less torquey" down low, and even if it is, it's not like it's down 50 lb-ft at 2,000 RPM.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by izzyz28
Has it occured to anyone that 30% throttle at the pedal on an LT1 and LS1 could mean completely different things at the other end of that pedal? I mean, they use completely different throttle bodies. The LT1 uses a 2-bladed TB, and the LS1 uses a single-blade TB. I have no idea what each flows at various throttle openings, but I would imagine there are differences and I would imagine those differences are what many of you are "feeling". I bet if you put the same TB on both engines they would feel VERY similar below 3K.

Anyways, I highly doubt an LS-1 is any "less torquey" down low, and even if it is, it's not like it's down 50 lb-ft at 2,000 RPM.
I don't know about any of that but something has occured to me. Its occured to me that I don't race in part throttle It has also occured to me that when I'm driving in Rochester traffic, I could care less how much torque I have or don't have going from 0-35 MPH with cars all around me

If I feel the need to have a lot of torque when driving on the street then all I need to do is flash my converter. 2.5 STR BABY
Old 09-11-2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by darrens99formul
I don't know about any of that but something has occured to me. Its occured to me that I don't race in part throttle It has also occured to me that when I'm driving in Rochester traffic, I could care less how much torque I have or don't have going from 0-35 MPH with cars all around me

If I feel the need to have a lot of torque when driving on the street then all I need to do is flash my converter. 2.5 STR BABY

Right on! I feel the exact same way! Reading this thread would make one think we were comparing an SBC to a Honda S2000 engine. In the real world, LT1 vs. LS1 bottom-end torque doesn't really matter all that much, and you're right...how long does an engine spend below 3K in a race anyways? Maybe 2 seconds at the most, and in your case, probably not at all. If I am doing any "fun" driving at all, when I would be worried about the amount of torque my engine is producing, I don't have it in 4th gear at 1500 RPM. More like 2nd gear at 4K. You get the idea.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:09 PM

Ehh, I spend MOST of my time driving under 2500 RPMs, so for me, that "feel" or being fast is what makes it fun to DRIVE. To race, Yea I would rather have an LS1. ****, even to drive I would. But the point i was making was that to drive an LT1, it is a funner TQ-ier car.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by SMUJeremy
BTW, looking at the dyno graphs between the two, the LS1 put out about 310TQ at 3200 RPMs, my LT1 peaked right around there with 285TQ. The LS1 peaked at about 3600 RPMs at 318.8 TQ.

take a look at the dyno graph of my hooker catback/slp intake m6 lt1 in my sig it peaked at 314.4 ft/lbs at about 2400 rpm and remained over 300 from 2000-4500 rpm that is one hell of a tq curve if you ask me peak power peaked at about 5100 rpm but only dropped off a couple horse to 5700 rpm not bad if you ask me
Old 09-12-2006, 01:10 PM

Well, just like stereo systems, some people do not hear my-nute differances, and thats okay. Some just hear loud and all is good........
Old 09-12-2006, 08:20 PM

Thats the best I have seen anyone describe it ... ever.

I have a LT1 so I will build it. I love the way my car feels to drive.

Thats not to say I wouldnt learn to love the way an LS1 feels to drive. You have to drive them both to understand the difference. But really, its not like an LS1 feels like its deprived of low end power by any means. It makes nice TQ. You wont be disapointed with one. They dont have an opti. And the aftermarket is getting bigger every day still. Their starting to get cheaper to come across parts for.

If I was to do a new project car I wuold go with an LS1. I only jumped on mine cause it was cheap, totaled, and had 9K origional miles on it. It sat in a garage since 96.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:35 PM

sweet!! Well, as soon as I get my basket case (LS1) running, I can play around with it and see whats up. I will surely drop by after getting fully acustomed to it with unbiased feedback.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:19 PM

i didmt read all 5 pages so if this has been posted oh well read it again lol

the LT1 makes peak torque at 2,400rpm the LS1 at 4,600 or so (i think its a little higher)..both cars having an A4 and the converters both having a stall around 1,400rpms, the LT1 does produce more torque thus feeling and being faster out of the hole..

the Lt1 intake runners are something like 3 inches..which makes low speed velocity through the roof...midrange power suffers a little bit and it levels off upstairs..they actually make decent upper end power,but then the heads become the restriction..

the LS1 intake is like 17inches...low end power isnt as strong, midrange and upper end power is well yall know..
Old 09-15-2006, 02:57 AM

Well this topic is as played out as ever.....but if you dont have a ton of money buy the lt1 if you have the cash on hand buy the ls1 both are great motors capable of speeds you wont even want on the street......so its not like you cant make the car fast one just has advanteges over the other outta the box but that can all be corrected with cash so i say buy what you want and can afford you can get the same results outta either car it just depends on the green
Old 09-15-2006, 07:58 AM

The lt1 stock for stock will feel "better" since the TQ peaks at 2400..! thats so low.

It's just feels different. So its what ever you want and can afford.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro
Can you make an LS1 as fun down low as the LT1's?
Absolutely not.

Quick Reply: Can you make an LS1 as fun down low as the LT1's?