LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Can you make an LS1 as fun down low as the LT1's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:39 AM

Re: Can you make an LS1 as fun down low as the LT1's?

Well, I've had my LS1 for about a month and honestly my 89 L98 feels like it has more torque....... but it's an Auto and my LS1 is a 6 speed. It's all how you drive it. If I'm cruzing in 2nd going 30 or 40 mph and tap the gas, I deffinitely can tell that my LS1 has just as much torque or more. I agree that an LT1 or even an L98 may feel great down low, but the difference is that the LS1 keeps going and going. This is how it should be though, the L98 on my IROC-Z is rated as having 345 lbs/ft of torque and my LS1 is rated at 350. So it makes sense that they feel just as fast, but the LS1 is far superior. In my opinion the L98 and the LS1 feel just as fast down low, but once you hit 40 mph the LS1 smokes it. I have yet to drive an LT1, this thread makes me want to go test drive one............

Last edited by DeltaSS; 09-07-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:46 AM

Funny you mention the L98 ... I've only driven one (an '87 'Vette) and it was a torque monster!! From 0 - 30, hang on, baby!! Once it got spun up to ~4000 RPM, set the cruise control, 'cause the ride is over!!

Maybe I need to drive that kind of car around again for awhile? Maybe I'd like it better??

Originally Posted by HardcoreRM125
And FWIW, I dont want my car to act smooth. I want that quick, snappy, muscle car feel. Not the smooth linear easy into the power Caddy feeling.
I like "quick, snappy, muscle car" too . I've never felt that my LS1 has lacked that, or that the LT1's I've driven have had something I don't?? Or maybe I've just gotten very accustomed to where the LS1 power band is in the last ~4 years of driving one, that I just drive it accordingly?? I've not lost too many races except where the odds were totally stacked against me (like blown Mustangs, a ZR1 Corvette, or other obvious faster cars). And I've never felt like my car was "slow" or "unresponsive" ... even when it "only" had 2.73 gears in it!!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

I'm a reasonable guy, so I'm going to reserve final judgement until I drive an LT1, but I have a hard time beleiving that an LT1 is going to feel more like a muscle car.

Originally Posted by HardcoreRM125
And FWIW, I dont want my car to act smooth. I want that quick, snappy, muscle car feel. Not the smooth linear easy into the power Caddy feeling.
If you're claiming that an LS1 isn't quick or snappy, or that the power comes on like a Cadillac, you're insane.

In an LS1, if you want 50% of the power, you give it 50% of the throttle. Likewise for all other percentages.

By the descriptions I've read here, it sounds like 50% of the LT1 throttle might give you, say, 70% of the power. That is, the low half of the throttle travel is more responsive than the top half.

Is that fairly accurate?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
but I much prefer the LS1 Firebirds ... the WS6 is pure sex on 4 wheels!! But hey, that's just IMO!!
LOVE the way you put that, SO TRUE!

I have both, so I will comment on this as well.

My LT1 is heavily modified, and it feels incredible down low, I can just tap the gas and the thing wants to rear up. Very impressive to by-standers, know what I mean? I can go full throttle at 60 mph, and still get a little spin from the wheels, and it *feels* amazing. But the dyno humbled me. I do admit it mainly feels fast. I am in the 370hp range w/ that LT1, but it felt like so much more!

The LS1 on the other hand is a monster in itself. It loves to fly up high, after about 2000 RPM, it will jump way up there, and feels like it just wants to keep pulling. It's a bolt on car, w/ a cam, and it is so different from the LT1.

My LT1 has so much sentimental value though, I could never let it go.

I'm glad to be blessed enough to have a little of both worlds

Last edited by 350 HRSS; 09-07-2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:28 AM

Lt1 feel much better down low stock for stock. Yes the ls1 is still faster.

My ls1 has a big cam so it dont' pull down low too much lol with the stock gear got to get up north of 3 then it screams hard.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:08 PM

Well, my Lt 1 pulls like a raped ape everywhere in the band, but I guess I am not much for a good point of reference. It is hard to keep the damn thing stuck at all sometimes (which is exactly why I love driving it). But my firend has an LS1 and stock for stock having driven both I would say that part throttle response the LT1 does "seem" a little more TQy, but not sure if that is because of the more restrictive heads, or possibly the flow at low velocity in the intake etc.

As for making an LS1 feel more TQy, gears are probably the way to go. I am sure 3.73 would fix all your complaints.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I'm a reasonable guy, so I'm going to reserve final judgement until I drive an LT1, but I have a hard time beleiving that an LT1 is going to feel more like a muscle car.

If you're claiming that an LS1 isn't quick or snappy, or that the power comes on like a Cadillac, you're insane.

In an LS1, if you want 50% of the power, you give it 50% of the throttle. Likewise for all other percentages.

By the descriptions I've read here, it sounds like 50% of the LT1 throttle might give you, say, 70% of the power. That is, the low half of the throttle travel is more responsive than the top half.

Is that fairly accurate?
Yes, something like that. LT1 = 750-3000 like a banshee, 3000 up not so good. LS1 750-3000 = not so good, 3001 up like a banshee. Both are about equal in power in the end, but the LT1 you feel more when your down low "in the seat of your pants". SO, for racing long distances or long winded sprints, the LT1 cant hang in as long as the LS1, but, for block to block driving, the LT1 is sweeter. Plus, with the higher volocity in the heads down low, the cylinders would fill up quicker and with more air. More air = more fuel = more power, like turbo charging efect which could be why the LT1's seem peppier. With that theory, they would be.

Looks like I will be getting a LS1 with a stick this weekend, so, I guess we will soon see.

Last edited by SSCamaro; 09-08-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro
Yes, something like that. LT1 = 750-3000 like a banshee, 3000 up not so good. LS1 750-3000 = not so good, 3001 up like a banshee.
I completely disagree. LS1 750-3000 = good, 3001-4000 = great, 4001-6000= holy F*&^% Sh**

I have no problems down low, mid range or up high. I have no complaints on part throttle or aggressive throttle. And I DEFINATELY have no complaints about WOT
Old 09-08-2006, 10:39 PM

really, hmmmmm.... and the LT1 is the same but in reverse, so...........
Old 09-09-2006, 07:09 AM

really, hmmmmm.... and the LT1 is the same but in reverse, so...........
So the LT1 has a strong reverse
Old 09-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Retired

This thread makes my eyes bleed.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:24 PM

Both are about equal in power in the end
If that were the case the LT1 would run a low 13 sec stock. It took a friend's 93 Firehawk full bolt ons to get where my SS was stock.
Very little of a race is spent under 3K RPM.

The LS1 has more torque than LT1 people like to think, and yes I've driven and raced both. 750 is idle. Cruising RPM is at least 1200 RPM so anything less is invalid since you're talking "driving fun". Actually, if you're going to accelerate much you should down shift which would be at least 1800 RPM. 1800-3000 RPM is a pretty limited power band. Give me 3000-6000 over that any day. Well, 6800+ for us cammed people. Its pretty easy to down shift and give it part throttle and have all the peppiness you want and more than your rear tires will handle.

Get your LS1 or LT1. Doesn't matter which.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 09-09-2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:12 AM

Yeah don't get me twisted, the LS1 is the superior engine for sure. There really is no question about that. 13 degree heads make all the diffeence, as well as all alumin blocks for weight. As I said above, the part throttle response is probably do to the more restrictive heads of the LT1 (which is why a lot of pro drag run smaller intake runner heads at high altitude). But yeah if you have the cash an LS1 is the way to go. BUT you can make good power with any engine if you throw enough $$$ at it, just ask me lol.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:37 AM

I have an '89 Iroc and a 2000 SS. You really can't drive the two cars the same way and get the same feeling of low end torque. If you want the LS1 to feel like the L98, you have to hold each gear longer and let the RPM's climb. Simply put, to get the feeling of the low end torque you get in an L98, keep the RPM's in the LS1 above 2750 and it will feel similar.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
If that were the case the LT1 would run a low 13 sec stock. It took a friend's 93 Firehawk full bolt ons to get where my SS was stock.
Very little of a race is spent under 3K RPM.

The LS1 has more torque than LT1 people like to think, and yes I've driven and raced both. 750 is idle. Cruising RPM is at least 1200 RPM so anything less is invalid since you're talking "driving fun". Actually, if you're going to accelerate much you should down shift which would be at least 1800 RPM. 1800-3000 RPM is a pretty limited power band. Give me 3000-6000 over that any day. Well, 6800+ for us cammed people. Its pretty easy to down shift and give it part throttle and have all the peppiness you want and more than your rear tires will handle.

Get your LS1 or LT1. Doesn't matter which.
Yea, I was smoking crack when I said that and it was late at night, not exactly what I ment. I was talking about the rpm range I drive in 750-4500/5000

Well, I have two now! I have a 94 lt1 6-speed and a 98 LS1-6 speed. As soon as I get the LS1 out of the intensive care ward and get her on the street, I can post back my findings. As of the initial test drive, putzing around was right about what I said, seemed to want to dog more just comming off a stoplight, but, that could do with a bazillion things seeing as the *check engine* light does not come on when the key is turned, but, she fires right up!? Could be she has stupid geraing like 2.73's or something.

Last edited by SSCamaro; 09-10-2006 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Can you make an LS1 as fun down low as the LT1's?