LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Can you make an LS1 as fun down low as the LT1's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 05:13 PM

Re: Can you make an LS1 as fun down low as the LT1's?

But the original question only asked, if it was possible to make an LS1 FEEL as touquey down low as an LT1 and still be as fast...

... Not which you would prefer, massive touque or massive speed...
Old 09-04-2006, 09:30 PM

Smaller cam maybe. In theory I would think that would lower your peak torque rpm. Its an awfull idea, but should work.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:54 PM

True LS1s make more torque everywhere. But how can you explain better 60's and better or equal 1/8 mile times from a stock LT1 when compared to a stock LS1?

I'll say that my LT1 car with a few bolt-ons would hurt you if I punched it down low. It takes a well modified LS1 to give the same feeling. However, LS1s would pull past me after about 3rd gear and leave me far behind.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by kainZ
Care to elaborate??? Save a fellow fbody owner the pain and suffering if you are serious?
well, to elaborate more...
I started buying pieces for my 383 LT1 in may of 2004. at the time LS1 prices were still way up there. as I started gathering pieces the cost of building an LS1 slowly dropped. now the price difference is in favor of an LSx.
Ive also just had problems with my LT1. it leaked a ton of oil even though I did all the proper procedures in assembling it.
the car had knock sensor issues and I ultimately had to wire a resistor in line to the ground to eliminate the false knock.
I hate the ignition system of an LT1. I know you can go buy a delteq and fix most of the problems but thats also $600 you can put towards an LS1 that doesnt need to have ignition upgrades.
lloyd did excellent work on my heads but theres only so far you can go. not to mention that even when ported our intakes hold us back a bit. LS1 intakes also hold them back a little but not as bad as ours.
just the overall design of the engines. I just recently tore down an LS2 and its just worlds ahead of an LT1. the only thing I dont like is you gotta take the heads off to get the lifters out.

before I spun my rod bearing I was about to take another step. I was gonna get a set of SBC heads converted to reverse cooling, stick a single plane intake, and have lloyd & co spec a solid roller. honestly with the ridiculous preload on comp R lifters and their notorious failing a solid roller doesnt seem like a bad idea. especially since I had those valve covers off so often to make sure the valve lash was set correctly. by that point I might as well have started with a SBC. then I wouldnt have to worry about the damned optispark and I would have much larger displacement capabilities.

if I could do it again I would do alot different. I wouldve built a rev happy stock crank 355 and used some of the cost from not having to buy a forged crank and putting it towards a single plane intake. the 383 made great torque, but with a high stall converter was it really needed?

dont get me wrong, im not trying to bad mouth the LT1. im just stating some experiances and my hindsights.

if I could TRUELY go back I would go back much further and never purchase this car!! I can think of alot of things I couldve done with the money I have spent...

Last edited by Zigroid; 09-04-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:56 AM

beautifly put. That is exactly why i got my ls1 car. I figured with my lust for pwer I should get the car with the most potential despite a couple grand difference in price, plus I like the front end and taillights better.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:09 PM

I've never really been impressed with LS1s (even after owning one), and am happy with my LT1. It's got punch down low and at part throttle and that's a big fun factor. If I ever wanted to make it haul *** it's a short $1500 away. A couple bolt-ons and it runs high 12s, and has yet to be beaten by a bolt-on LS1 on the street over here.

I'm happy.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by urbaNHunter44
A couple bolt-ons and it runs high 12s, and has yet to be beaten by a bolt-on LS1 on the street over here.
Have you actually raced a bolt-on LS1?

I'm not being an LS1 fanboy here. Seriously. At 12.96, you shouldn't be beating many bolt-on LS1's.

Unless the drivers suck...
Old 09-05-2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by urbaNHunter44
I've never really been impressed with LS1s (even after owning one), and am happy with my LT1. It's got punch down low and at part throttle and that's a big fun factor. If I ever wanted to make it haul *** it's a short $1500 away. A couple bolt-ons and it runs high 12s, and has yet to be beaten by a bolt-on LS1 on the street over here.

I'm happy.
I beat a bolt-on LT1 on a small shot of spray with only a lid and catback. Does that mean I would have every time? Probably not.

For the original question. Gears and converter (if its an A4).
If you like the LT1's power band then get one. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
I beat a bolt-on LT1 on a small shot of spray with only a lid and catback. Does that mean I would have every time? Probably not.

For the original question. Gears and converter (if its an A4).
If you like the LT1's power band then get one. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh i totally agree, there is nothig wrong with either one. I just dont want to lose that fun feeling i have in my LT1 if I went with an LS1. Maybe I should rent an LS1 for a week, lol???
Old 09-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

This claim that LT1's make more power at part throttle is ridiculous as far as using it as a reason that an LT1 is "more fun down low" than an LS1.

Give it more gas, for Pete's sake!
Old 09-06-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Give it more gas, for Pete's sake!
Well, thats the thing. My cherokee has plenty of power if I keep giving it gas, but, it sucks to drive cause I have to keep ******* the crap out of it. Now, comparing the LS1 to the LT1, and neither one is a dog, from all the readings it seems that the LS1 would not be as "snappy" as the LT1 for around town driving. Oh, she is definitly fast, but not quite as crisp throttle degree for throttle degree. I have driven a few but not long enough to get comfertable and really see if there is a noticeable differance. Hmm, maybe I will just buy one with an auto since that is what I want. Mmmmm, naaa, gotta do some reasearch. An educated consumer is a.................
Old 09-06-2006, 04:39 PM

Yea JakeRobb real rediculous claim

If you put hogged out heads on a otherwise stock car, you will loose low rpm, part throttle response. It will FEEL slower down low.

This is because the heads cant keep the velocity up on the incoming air charge at low RPM's ...

This is why LT1's FEEL faster than an LS1 if your just driving it around town, part throttle, normal driving. LS1 heads flow way better than an LT1 head does stock for stock. They both are very similar displacement, and at idle and low RPM use, require about the same amount of air in the cylinders. An LT1 head keeps the velocity of the incoming air up a little better because they are MORE RESTRICTIVE. They feel "snappier" in this rpm range. Where as a LS1 feels a little less responsive down low ... Its all in the heads.

Dont believe me? Put a set of fully ported stock casting heads on your otherwise stock car and see what happens to the bottom end TQ.

And you said about giving it more gas ... Thats the whole point. You have to open them up a little more because they are NOT as responsive.

Maybe that makes a little more sense now.

And to the origional poster, you cant go wrong with either car. If I had the money when I was in the market I would have got a LS1. I was broke, in 11th grade, and wanted something fast. So I bought a LT1 totaled and restored it myself. If I had my choice I would have done an LS1 car. But the sentimental value I have in it now is enough to keep my LT1. That and its an awesome car.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HardcoreRM125
And you said about giving it more gas ... Thats the whole point. You have to open them up a little more because they are NOT as responsive.

Maybe that makes a little more sense now.
It made sense, and it's still ridiculous.

You have to give an LS1 what, 5-10% more throttle to get the same response? Unless your right foot has years of training behind an LT1 (which, admittedly, is true for many of you), you'd barely notice.

Personally, I like that the LS1 delivers power smoothly and progressively. If I'm light on the throttle, I want the car to act accordingly. Especially with an M6, where consistent throttle modulation is critical to a good launch at the track and smooth driving around town.

Go ahead, tell me that your nonlinear throttle response is a good thing.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:15 PM

I never said it was a good thing ... Or that it was a bad thing. Its neither.

But ya cant say that the claim that LT1's make more power at part throttle is ridiculous as far as using it as a reason that an LT1 is "more fun down low" than an LS1 is not true if you havent owned both or at least drove both.

I have driven them both multiple times. An LT1 comes on alot harder down low. Yea it might make it harder to launch. But it sure makes its feel alot stronger also.

Your entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, but there is no argueing that an LT1 FEELS faster. When the LS1 cars first came out I remember EVERYONE talking about how theres no way, they felt to slow down low. Then as more people started to get them, they could see that the top end on these cars is where they really shine.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:16 PM

And FWIW, I dont want my car to act smooth. I want that quick, snappy, muscle car feel. Not the smooth linear easy into the power Caddy feeling.

Quick Reply: Can you make an LS1 as fun down low as the LT1's?