LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

can i use cats and or true duals with jet hot longtubes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 05:31 PM

can i use cats and or true duals with jet hot longtubes?

found a great deal on jethot longtubes 525.00 shipped ok i was talkin to insane99ls1 and he suggested i go with 2.5" true duals, i said i need to keep cats so i dont get in trouble, well he said hollow the stock cats out and use them with the true duals, well my question is, since the jethots dont have flanges weled on at the colloectors do i just get the cats welded directly to the headers? then run the true dual setup? i said about hi flows and he said the hollowed ones will flow way better. i also said i would like to go over the axle but he said i would get much better performance if i went with dumps, now im still undecided on this because if this shop in pa makes true duals over the axle and dont have many bends than i dont see why i wouldnt get the same hp increase, kinda scared if i go with dumps i will get annoyed with the massive sound inside the car lol, thanks gys you all been so helpful
Old 03-16-2004, 05:46 PM

ok...i've been trying to follow your continued questions on headers/exhaust

you say you want to run cats just in case...understandable

now you are talking about running gutted stockers behind LT's...

well if you are going to get in trouble for running no cats...you'll still get iin just as much trouble for running gutted stockers....

and 99% probability that you'll get in the same trouble if you run LTs and Hi-flows since you are altering the stock cat location. running no cats is pretty much as illegal as running long tubes with hi-flows if you have to pass visual inspection.

and if you typically don't have to have a visual inspection, but the cops somehow ticket you for failing the sniffer....than soon as you try to have it fixed they are going to give you hell about the longtubes anyway....

kindda like running a red light after you murder someone...are the cops really gonna care about the red light? probably not...just the murder....

see what i mean?
Old 03-16-2004, 06:13 PM

so what exhaust should i go with with my longtubes ?
Old 03-16-2004, 06:36 PM

i would just run a y pipe for the jet hots and the slp loudmouth and hi flow catcos if i knew it would give me about as much power as the true dual setup, maybe i should just go with the y pipe and loudmouth setup, would the true duals give me alot more hp? i apolagize for being a pain
Old 03-16-2004, 10:04 PM

YOU NEED TO MAKE 1 THREAD ABOUT YOUR EXHAUST AND NOT 57 DIFFERENT ONES!
Old 03-17-2004, 06:36 AM

in his defense, each one is slightly different....and someone searching may find separate threads more helpful.

on a bolt on car, true duals would probably gain you 5-10hp over a loudmouth. if you went with a healty H/C or power adder...that gain would be more. this gain would probably be mostly on top end...useful mostly at the track.

i'm in the process of figuring out exhaust setup.

i'm getting longtubes and a Ypipe (no cats)....don't want duals due to noise and too many cops....i'm trying to figure out if i will gain anything significant over my already highflowinig Magnaflow catback by adding a single cutout....OR....adding two cutouts behind the headers in the Ypipe.

i think for most applications, street driven and some track duty...LTs, ypipe and a high flowing catback (like the LM) will be you're best bet....loud...but good