LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Bra is a PITA

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 12:18 PM
Ray66

Bra is a PITA

Just got around to installing my Carbra.com bra on my 01 SS and it's a serious hassle. A VERY tight fit indeed. The metal bend bars with fabric coated on do not fit right in the vent areas of my SS grill. I feel like I'm scratching my clear coat as I try to put the bra on....... I feel like sending it back. I ended up stipping out the plastic anchor in the wheel well where you srew in the snap screw. Man, this is irritating.......

Anybody else have these problems?

I might buy the Colgan bra instaes now........

I went to SLP day in O-town...... a good time there.

--------------

Chevrolet refuses to accept a paint defect in SS roof panels.

I met another SS owner from Melbourne, FL with user name Bowtie Boy and he's having the same problem I had with bubbling under the paint on his roof.

There is no official recall because it's not a "safety" issue but dealers will play dumb. There is a serious problem with 4th Generation F-Bodies with bubbling under the paint on the roof panels!!! However Chevy dealers don't want to accept this!!!

Old 03-31-2003, 12:49 PM

I used the cheap Le Bra.. Its hassle free and easy to put on and off.. Pics of it in sig I think... No scratching and gets better looking every month..
Old 03-31-2003, 01:17 PM

Arrow

I've yet to see a bra (for a car, that is...) which would look reasonable...

Good idea, but makes the car looks like shiat.

TS
Old 03-31-2003, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by 95GRNZ
I've yet to see a bra (for a car, that is...) which would look reasonable...

Good idea, but makes the car looks like shiat.

TS
Ya, I'm not a fan of the look either, though I will say the ones that fit tightly look much better than the loose ones.

But, IMO, a bra does more damage than good... it's like having a bedliner in a truck bed, to a lesser effect anyway. That thing is BOUND to move around at least a little on there, and it's going to cause damage/scuffing/marring to the paint...
Old 03-31-2003, 08:33 PM

Not only do they minutely scratch the paint, but they dont allow the paint to fade evenly. Most of us dont think about this because we drive such new cars, but if you have a bra on for long enough, the rest of the paint will fade, while whats under the bra will not. If you plan to have you car for awhile and decide someday to take it off, you'll have a two-tone paint job ... sh!tty
Old 04-01-2003, 01:44 AM

Lightbulb Maybe this is a viable alternative?

I saw this on Two Guys Garage last year;

3M Paint Protection Film

Maybe this is something you bra guys might be interested in. I don't have hands on experience with this product, but maybe someone else will know more...
Old 04-01-2003, 02:39 AM
Banned

bras are not good in my opinion..all they do is store excess water and cause the paint to get damaged...and yes it does cause the paint to fade unevenly

bad investment in my eyes
Old 04-01-2003, 09:05 AM
Ray66

Thanks for responding

Things have gotten a little better. The bra did stretch and It's only good for long road trips. I'm gonna keep it. I'll just be sure I take every step to not mess up the finish.

I have the carbra.com bra and this is the official GM perfect fir bra. The Colgan I did not get.

Old 04-01-2003, 09:36 AM

Re: Maybe this is a viable alternative?

Originally posted by Jason96T/A
I saw this on Two Guys Garage last year;

3M Paint Protection Film

Maybe this is something you bra guys might be interested in. I don't have hands on experience with this product, but maybe someone else will know more...
I have seen this product.. I know people that install it.. About $1000.. thats not worth it in my eyes..

My bra was less than 1/10th the price.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:43 AM

You all talk of bras with scratching and whatnot but from my experience.. Here in Houston.. If I didnt have a bra I would have countless nicks in the paint.. Now a fine scratch is better than a nick in the paint if you ask me.. I drive very fast.. Now if you too driver at high rates of speed, try holding your hand out of your window or T-Tops... If you feel little stings thats the sand and dirt thats being flung at your car.. Your paint will feel that too.. If you dont feel anything at all, then you are most fortunate.. But here in the city where there is debris and dirt on the freeway shoulders it gets blown by cars and trucks and traveling fast just makes it hit harder.

So far, I dont have any scratches I can see.. As I said before, my car with its bra on is in the pics below. I think it looks smooth. I dont forsee my black paint fading faster than the paint under the bra.. In any case, who knows how long I will have the car. I have yet to keep a car longer than 3 years.. And the car that I have had for longer than 3 years is a Porsche so its paint job is incredible.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:28 AM
Ray66

Thumbs up Thanks for helping me.

Psycho cabbage is correct.

The bra really is a great idea for the 4th generation F-bodies.

The GM paint on the nose of our cars is very thin and will chip easy. Yesturday I was just frustrated and Ken at crabras.com helped me out. The important key to the bra is MAINTAINING IT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Only put it on on long trips on the freeway(3 hours or more). Thanks for helping but the my situation is better now. The bra did go on and it looks great. It's a carbra.com bra for a 2001 Camaro SS. They also make the official GM bra. I will only use it on long trips, say 3 hours or more on the freeway and take great care to take it off when I arrive at my destination. The problem is what if it rains "en route" so to speak? Do you stop your car and physically take it off while it's raining on the road? Soaking wet in your trunk? The bra can be a hassle but a hairline scratch over a dent/ chip from a careless redneck in an 18-wheeler is reason enough to use a bra. A srctah can be buffed out. A chip or dent at the best body shop in your city is $300.00-$500.00!

Old 04-01-2003, 04:43 PM

This is the LS1 Forum so the cars arent that old yet, Give it a few years when the plastic bumpers fade lighter than the paint on the car and rock and bug hits start adding up, You'll begin to feel the perspiration as you calculate the cost of repaint compared to a front end cover. I said i would never get one, i guess all the chips and fadded plastic justifies my lie.

I have the Covercraft front end cover, It was a hassle to put on especially in January, but the trick to making it fit like it was meant to be there is a wet towel and a warm iron. This takes out all the wrinkles and pretty much eliminates the proscess of tighting the cover when it gets warm ojt to stretch it properly.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:46 PM

I'll never again own a bra on one of my cars. I had one on my '86 TA, first time out the healight door covers blew off. About a year later it was tearing up the center from the bottom. And yes it was tight, streched across the bottom. Not to mention I don't really care for the look of one. The only reason I had one was because at the time I was in college and didn't have the money to paint it.