LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

best place to hide a switch???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 01:55 AM

lucky for me, there is a performance shop about 20 miles away that specializes in Camaros. The head mech/owner knows the electrical systems of the 4th gen F-bodys like the back of his hand. I went and bought the ASR switch (Freaking $25!!! for a stupid switch) the electrical harness on the switch fits the wires in the blank switch. But, it doesn't light up when you push it. However, when the headlights are on "ASR" lights up on the switch. Anyway, he said he could wire it to the ASR switch (which my parents know is fake). To make it a little easier to keep it a secret, he can wire it so that you have to hold down the switch for 3-5sec for it to open or close. My dad isn't strict about the car, it's just that he doesn't want me pissin off the neighbors or putting anything ILLEGAL on the car. I'm probably going to buy the electronic cutout and have it installed by the 3rd week of june. Wish me luck! Thanks for all the help!

-Jeff

------------------
1998 Navy Blue Metallic Z28, chrome rims, chrome lug caps from SLP, RK Sport ground effects, BFG tires, Quad tip flows, LS1 Motorsports Lid, K&N, MSD wires, custom painted interior, and a BIG RED BOWTIE in the back window =)
Old 05-23-2002, 03:52 PM

Smile

I got my 98 Z28 brand new when I was 18 and my dad didn't mind me modding it. He was actually pretty proud when I took it to the muffler shop and had Flows installed. (Hey I was 18 and I couldn't afford Borlas.) Anyhow, I installed a fan switch where the blank ASR switch is, since I don't have ASR. That way if your dad asks, just tell him you got a fan switch or something harmless. If you're old enough to drive, you should be a pro at lying to your parents by now.

Stephanie
Old 05-24-2002, 02:21 PM

The ASR switch would work to open OR to close the cutout but noth both. It doesn't have enough poles/contacts on it. The way the motor on the cutout changes direction is by reversing both the positive and negative wires. This would take a DPDT switch with a center off position. I just installed a QTEC and the indicator light does not tell you when it is open or closed, just that it has power (or where to find the switch in the dark). I did not use the supplied switch as it was bulky and hard to hide. I got a subminiature toggle switch with no light and put it right next to the ashtray but still under the flip up lid.A switch with no light also lets you hook it up to constant power so you don't have to have the key on to open or close the cutout.

------------------
02 Z28 DARK METALLIC BLUE M6 HURST QTEC
Old 05-24-2002, 08:41 PM

Just wanted to toss this out as a consideration for you:

I had some decent times with my car, all bolt on. I went and did a bunch od dyno runs and found that the cutout actually made 6 LESS hp at the wheels than my MAC headers, off road pipe, and cat back.
If you aer just looking for more noise, the cutout will do it, but for more power, well, it's up to you to find out
Old 05-25-2002, 01:00 AM

Interesting...do you have these sheets? Can you scan them?

------------------
| There is no replacement for displacement |
| Designing secret project "SS427" | Future F-Body Owner | Website in the works |
| SLP Engineering | F-Body.com | G-Body.org | CamaroZ28.com | Super Chevy | Motor Trend | Supercars.net
Old 09-07-2002, 04:51 PM

Hey, it's been a while, but i've had the QTEC on the car for a little over a month. It is AWESOME!!!! I see what you guys meant about the ASR switch (what a waste of money) not having the right poles. I used the standard QTEC switch and mounted it under the seat. Its completely hidden, and not hard to reach. Just thought I'd give a resolution to the question. Thanks for all the help guys.

-Jeff

------------------
1998 NBM Z28, A4 2.73, Chrome 10-spoke SS rims, RK Sport ground effects, QTEC, Flowmaster, CAI, LS1 Motorsports Lid, K&N, MSD wires, custom painted interior.

Best ET: 13.665 @ 103.25
Best 60': 2.114
Best reaction : 0.649