LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Automatic Tranny Fluid in an M6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 10:25 AM

Question Automatic Tranny Fluid in an M6?

Am I getting this right, I'm supposed to put ATF oil into my manual tranny? Seems kinda funny to me. Also, if change the oil in the rear and, how do I know if I need the additive for limited slip differentials? Thanks
Old 04-05-2003, 10:29 AM

Re: Automatic Tranny Fluid in an M6?

Originally posted by Ferocity02
Am I getting this right, I'm supposed to put ATF oil into my manual tranny?
NO!!

Manual transmissions get oil intended for manual transmissions!!! I believe it's more like 80W90 gear oil (same as rear end)? ATF is strictly for the automatic (or power steering fluid). Also, all V8 F-bodies have a limited slip differential, so you could run the additive as well (although I don't know if you have to? ).
Old 04-05-2003, 11:11 AM

uh you might wanna take a look at your tranny

its says to use DEX right on it for the t56 6speeds
Old 04-05-2003, 11:42 AM

Yes that is correct Dextron II
Old 04-05-2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by 9T8W66
Yes that is correct Dextron II
Only if the Dex II satisfies Dex II-E applications can Dex II be used says if it does on back of bottle. Obviously you have not been under the car cuz there is a sticker on the trans that says"use Dex III(3) ATF only".But Dex II-E will do if you cant get III.I would get the Dex III
If you are that concerned about the additive(rear) then call the dealer. If you have a G80 rpo code on your door placard then you have a limited slip differential.And it is my understanding that you dont need the additive for a Zexel Torson unit.The Zexel unit is a worm gear drivin differentail,No clutches.The cluches are what require additive to avoid chatter in the diff.
We have the same model/year/drivetrain car and you should have the Zexel Torson T2 unit in your rear as I do. If you are that worried the additive is not that much to have ready in case you dont have a worm gear unit,which after you get the cover off will be plain as day"Ray Charles could see that".
So I say you dont need additive if you got ZT,but need a gear oil that satifies GL-5 requirements.
What happened to the Red Line synthetics you were planning? Thats the best, I'm very happy with them
Old 04-05-2003, 10:37 PM

Okay.... There seems to be some conflict

I bought four quarts of Red Line D4 ATF fluid earlier today for the tranny. This will work correct? It says Automatic/Manual Transmission Fluid on the bottle also. I hope this is okay because I payed more than $30 for it. I am almost positive that in the manual it says to use a Dex III grade ATF oil. So is what I got okay?
Old 04-05-2003, 11:22 PM

Arrow

It says Automatic/Manual Transmission Fluid on the bottle also.
Hmmf?! I guess I was mistaken!? Sorry to have mislead ya. If the stuff says it's good for auto or manual, and it's that Dex-III stuff (or II?! ), then it should be ok? Since I don't have an M6, obviously I don't know what the hell I'm talking about here, so I'll just stop now!

I think old manuals (like the T-10 in my dad's '73) use a gear-oil type oil. I know we had a jug around before that said specifically for "manual transmissions", but the newer ones might be using different stuff now (ie: ATF oil that's good for both).
Old 04-05-2003, 11:43 PM

Okay.... There seems to be some conflict

I bought four quarts of Red Line D4 ATF fluid earlier today for the tranny. This will work correct?
Thats is the correct fluid and quantity. On the back 4th sentence it says...what? stop worrying and put it in already

You know Capt Pete you can benifit from this fluid & fresh filter also,it works for the autos also...pretty damn smooth.

Ferocity get the Red Line gear oil soon...you dont know when the last time it was changed and the maintenance schedule on the rear end is every 7,500miles alittle more after you switch to the synthetic thou.
T.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:51 AM

Talking

Originally posted by #7
Ferocity get the Red Line gear oil soon.
I got that too

There wasn't that much left on the shelf so I got it before anyone else did. Turns out Reibes does have it. There was a seperate shelf that had some other Red Line oils and I found it.

I forgot the damn gasket though. I won't be able to drive my car all week so the caliper paint can "cure". So I can get the gasket this week sometime.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-06-2003, 10:35 AM

my brother has an 01 ranger with a stick and it requires atf in the transmission, and i was with him one day at the dealership when he asked a mechanic why it takes atf and the mechanic said that the tolerances in between the gears and everything else is to small to allow a thicker lubricant
Old 04-07-2003, 02:03 PM

The T56 uses a Dextron II fluid or any fluid which carries the traits found in Dextron II. The T56 is designed to use an ATF fluid but you can also use some MTL fluids. I run Redline MTL and found it to be much smoother than the generic ATF stuff you get off the shelf. Been using it for two years now with no problems. Some people run Redline ATF and Honda ATF is also very popular as well. I will have to check but I think Honda ATF, Redline ATF, and Redline MTL all include the Dextron II traits.

From what I recall the worst thing that happens when using the wrong fluid is that it will eat away at the syncros which I think only applies to aftermarket carbon syncros. If you want to run carbon syncros in your T56 you should be careful as to what type of fluid you use.