LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

another ls1 cranks wont start question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 07:33 PM

another ls1 cranks wont start question

Hi, i just got a 98 ss 6 speed camaro i purchaesd with 47k delieverd from Arizona Yesterday. the car fired right up off the transport. I shut off ..started up a few minutes later..drove up driveway about 900 feet. Shut off... restarted 10 minutes later and drove to in laws house (3 miles). left in laws with wife driving car drove home 3 miles....car stalls in our drive way( yes she had clutch in yes full tank gas ) would not restart ...just cranks and cranks. waited about 1/2 hour tried again no start.. just cranks .. i can hear fuel pump turn on for a couple seconds. today i checked spark while cranking with timing light...it shows spark that way. Hooked up fuel pressure guage ...swithched key on/off several times ... no fuel pressure...thought guage bad??? Pushed in shrader valve no fuel. Changed fuel filter...no pressure.... tried different key ...(vatts?) no start just cranks?? Bought a $150 code scanner... no codes...
questions..... if a vatts problem would car crank and have spark and fuel pump on ??? Ill need to get a noid light for injectors i guess??
In the short time i drove i noticed the coolant light was on in dash ?? but coolant level is ok in the radiator?? can this be part of it??
Researching in old posts re coolant temp sensors ..if this is problem would i still get spark with pump running but no pressure??
Crank positions sensor?? if bad would i be getting spark???
Engine ran strong for the 7 miles i drove it!! feels to have adequate compression when cranking.
can fuel pump be bad even though it makes what sound to me to "sound normal"(i have had several efi gm vehicles ..fairly sure pump "sounds" ok)
car had a dealer installed gm alarm(similar to stock alarm option) i armed and disarmed this thing every which way... i would think alarm wiould not alow to crank??
Owner says he never had issue with not starting( original owner ..very nice seems very honest)
I checked all fuses ...i read a couple posts regarding ign relay swap with starter relay ...but i am seeing spark ( at least inducted spark from my timing light) wiil try that..
ANY SUGGESTIONS ??? wife wants to castrate me for buying as it is... now with this problem shes even more pissed!!
Thanks
Old 10-14-2006, 08:28 PM

Re: another ls1 cranks wont start question

with a vats problem the car would start and then stall
if the crank sensor went bad you would not get spark or a noid light

you already found your problem, no fuel pressure
now u gotta figure out why you have no fuel pressure

did you smell gasoline around the car?
i still suspect a bad pump, bad relay or ran out of gas
Old 10-14-2006, 08:42 PM

no fuel smell other than me getting soaked changing filter... i am guessing its pump. if a vatts problem would car crank at all??
Old 10-14-2006, 09:24 PM

If you hear the pump running it is not a relay or an electrical problem. You had 0 fuel pressure or was it just low enough not to start? You said that you pressed the shrader valve and no pressure was present. Just because you hear the pump running does not mean it is good. Try having a friend crank the car and spray some starting fluid or brake clean into the throttle body/intake and see if it fires, if it does replace the pump. Good Luck!
Old 10-14-2006, 09:37 PM

As stated above just because the pump runs doesn't mean that it's pumping fuel. Gas guage could be lying and it's really out of gas.
Quit fooling with other stuff 'till you get fuel pressure at the Schrader.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:47 PM

zero fuel pressure
Old 10-15-2006, 09:00 AM

Pull your fuel pump relay out and check to see if its still good. I had the same problem about two years ago.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by mook99TA
Pull your fuel pump relay out and check to see if its still good. I had the same problem about two years ago.

He said that he's sure that he heard the pump running. That means that the relay is working.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:54 PM

Ok finally out of denial. the pump in my 98 ls1 camaro needs replacing. I have read about the cut a hole in trunk method. I do not want to do that. So looking at my shop manual i see it says you need to remove the rearend!! Is that necessary??? Can tank be removed without removing the rear?? Can i just lower the rear down(support car and let rear hang)?? 98 has the steal fuel tank if that matters.
Thanks
Ryan
Old 10-15-2006, 10:56 PM

oops meant to post this response before the last

i put 12 volts direct to pump still no fuel pressure ..you can hear pump run ..has at least 5 gallons in it(more likely about 12) can the internal regulator stick?? Not allowing any primeing of pump ... its running just not sounding like its under a load.
do new stock gm or ac delco pumps come as complete assy or do you need to get new or reuse existing pressure sensor, pickup strainer, regulator etc??
Ryan
Old 10-16-2006, 08:55 AM

OEM replacement pumps come as an assembly for big bucks or you could get a good Walbro replacment bare pump, better pump for less but more work for you.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:00 PM

You check your fuel pressure?

Check your ignition relay in the fuse block under the hood. After I replaced just about everything on my wife's TA, that ended up being the problem. I just swapped hers with one of the fan relays to test it out.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:27 PM

If you look at my first post i checked all fues relays sensors codes etc..ll tested good.also put 12 volts direct to pump and still no pressure..disconnected fuel line before filter and ran ...no fuel. SOi picked up a stock ac delco pump assy and a fuel pressure regulator repair kit today(the pump assy contains a everything..regulator,pressure switch,sender,pump ,tubings etc) reason i got the regulator seperate also?? Because i also ordered the racetronix/walbro pump kit. I will check everything over and probally end up using racetronix with the new regulator and return stock pump assy. However if i dint like the racetronix when i get it then stock replacement goes in and i will sell racetronix on here for what i paid. i will post back when its repaired hopefully be done by end of week.
Ryan