General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Z28 Convertible Rear Window??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:48 PM

Z28 Convertible Rear Window??

I recently purchased a 2002 Z28 convertible and noted that the top of the rear window is not properly secured to the convertible top. I wonder if someone can tell me how the top of the rear window is supposed to be attached to the top. Thank you.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:12 PM

Re: Z28 Convertible Rear Window??

If you don't get a response from here, maybe try visiting a local shop that installs and repairs convertible tops.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:52 PM
Administrator

The window is glued in. I did a "search" and found this thread that mentions an adhesive specifically for this purpose.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/gen...window-526525/
Old 07-21-2017, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The window is glued in. I did a "search" and found this thread that mentions an adhesive specifically for this purpose.
It's like Injuneer said, the glass is attached to the fabric of the rear panel with an adhesive or heat process. When the glass starts to separate it's hard to make a permanent repair without replacing the rear panel. I have used a double sided trim adhesive tape to reattach the glass temporally and this made the car waterproof, but I would recommend replacing the rear panel.

I'm not sure what causes this, I've wondered if driving with the windows down at highway speeds plays a part in this. With the windows down, the top becomes inflated and puts an outward pressure against the rear glass. Over time, I suppose this could be the cause. This condition also puts pressure on the top's attachment to the last top bow before the window. If this attachment point detaches from the top, the fabric of the top will no longer cover the top edge of the rear glass. If your old enough to remember, the convertibles of the 50's and 60's had a zippered rear window, so this wasn't a problem.