General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Window wont move

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 06:52 PM

Window wont move

Out of nowhere my driver's side window stopped moving. It is all the way down and when I try to roll it up nothing happens. I've had the motor die out over time as they tend to do, but this time out of nowhere it just went out. There is zero sound or any indication that the motor is doing anything when I pull the switch up. Not sure if it is a coincidence, but the power side view mirror switch isnt doing anything either when I try and adjust my mirrors. Any idea of where to start other than replace the motor?
Old 05-14-2006, 07:02 PM

Re: Window wont move

I had this happen one time. I don't know what it's called but there is a small wheel that attaches to the window and slides down the "X" frame. It broke while the window was down and the window came off the track. As soon as I reattached it, the motor started working just fine.

Is the window kinda flimsy?
Old 05-14-2006, 10:43 PM

I'd look at fuses before anything else...
Old 06-09-2006, 03:16 PM

The same thing just heppend to me. Yesterday I had my window down and it wouldn't go up while pressing my switch. Tried it again a little later that day and it worked like normal. This morning it rolled down but by the time I got to work to roll it back up...nothing...not even a sound. Went to get my car inspected today during lunch and bought a new driver's side switch while I was there. Put it in and nothing still. Passenger side window works fine from the driver's switch and I didn't try the side mirror adjustments. I'll look at my fuses this evening.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:10 AM

How'd this turn out? I'm having a similar problem with my 97 Camaro. No response from either the passenger or drivers side switches then... suddenly everything's working fine. Fuses look ok.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:02 AM

My problem turned out to be that my motor aparently got wet during a heavy downpour of rain. It worked sort of "on and off" one day and then just stopped working. After realizing that the new switch I bought didn't work, I pulled the motor out of my door and as I was holding it in my hand, water poured out of it. Unfortunately, I had already replaced one under a lifetime warranty and the folks at the parts store told me that since this was a second replacement under a lifetime warrantie that this part only has a warranty of 90 days. That being said, I had to buy a new one for $50. So basically, the next time this happens, I can get a free replacement. Then if it happens again after 90 days, I'll have to buy a new one.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:22 PM

How ironic is this... I was just in the garage trying fix mine too! Worked perfectly this morning, then when I got to work it wouldn't move. I can hear the relays click though. I just pulled the panel off, and it started working again . The only thing I have noticed is that one of rivets on the regulator broke.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:01 PM

yea i just had the same problem the other night, and it just got done raining hard for the past couple days...
it still works here and there

time for a new motor then?