General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Window relay mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 07:40 AM

Window relay mod

Does anyone have any knowlege of this, or has anyone done it? I contacted the original poster (JOE96Z28SS) on this post (from July 2004) and he said he would send me the info on it - but I haven't heard back from him. Can anyone give me some info on wiring this up and what I need?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:45 AM

Re: Window relay mod

Wow, not one person here did this? The original thread had many impressed people.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:07 AM

What is it?
Old 03-01-2006, 11:11 AM

A fix for the sluggish power windows...

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ow+motor+relay
Old 03-01-2006, 12:32 PM
djw

I did this mod to my driver’s side door. I need to do it to the passenger’s door but just haven't got around to it. It is fairly straight forward you need 2 relays per door and you need a good power source. You put the relays in between the switch and the motor using your good power source to power the motor, and the switch to activate the relay. You just need to make sure the relays are 5 post relays so that the relay grounds the line to the motor when it is not switched. I didn't take any pictures of it so I can't help you there. But I notice the other thread doesn't have the schematic anymore. I will look and see if I have the image and if not I will draw one for you.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:54 PM

Thanks man! I'm a bit of a dope when it comes to wiring unless it is spelled out for me. That really would be a help.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:36 PM

Yeah, more pics of this would be awesome. This doesn't sound all that complicated, either!
Old 03-01-2006, 09:53 PM
djw

ok, I don't have the original schematic that JOE96Z28SS made. So here is my drawing, I am not very good at this photoshop thing but I think it is understand able.

So basicaly you need to "splice" in the relays to each of the wires coming out of the motor. I hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:26 PM

I'm not sure I see how this would work

The relay switches on (allowing current to flow between 87 and 30 to run the motor) when a small current passes between posts 86 and 85. However you show 86 on both relays connected to ground so when the window switch is closed you create a circuit from ground to ground, which isn't going to pass any current through the relay coils to activate the relays.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:18 AM
djw

Ok if you look at the electrical schematic of the original wiring: http://shbox.com/1/pwr_window_schematic.jpg
You can see that there are 2 wires going in to the motor. So for the window to go down the switch applies power to the brown wire while grounding the dark blue wire. Then for the window to go up the brown is grounded and power is applied to the dark blue wire. So in the modification both relays are grounding the lines coming out of the motor. Then when the switch is pressed, say window down, power is applied to the brown wire. Which in turn applies power to post 85 on the relay, which activates the relay since post 86 is grounded. This triggers the power available on post 87 to reach post 30 and operate the motor. I am not very good at explaining things but hopefully that made sense.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:44 AM

Don't sell yourself short, you do fine with photoshop . The drawing is fine. What gauge wire did you use to run from the power point under the hood?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:10 AM
djw

I used 8 gauge wire to run from under the hood to the center console. From there I ran 10 gauge to the door. I figure the 8 gauge is over kill but that I would use it to branch to both doors and I may have use for a good power source in the future. I think that 10 gauge for the whole thing would be fine, or even 10 gauge into the cabin and then 12 gauge to the doors. Using as heavy of wire as I did was over kill, and was a pain in the a**.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:14 AM

Ah that's it. The switch is distributing the power to the appropriate relay coil. Perfectly understandable now. Thanks.
Tim
Old 03-02-2006, 02:35 PM

Boy, i sure do hate doing wiring. I'll have to try this eventually.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:56 PM

Cool, cool and cool. Thanks djw. This appears to be the best window mod I have run across. I really didnt want to take apart the motor and disable the overload safety like some of the other posts I read here. While I can't see any of my kids actually getting my keys and causing themselves harm - just best to avoid disabling a safety.

Quick Reply: Window relay mod