General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

window question ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 07:29 PM

window question ?

Hi every one
my car doesnt get driven very much . so the windows dont get used a lot . a few years ago i had a pasanger window motor put in . the window has been up an down maybe 20 times . worked great when was first put
but from siting i guess its like its taken a crap .

what do u guys thinkg is worng with it ?
any help would br great .
chad
Old 02-26-2005, 08:26 PM

Re: window question ?

What causes the motors to fail is not usually due to useage or wear as much as time and corrosion. On both my failed motors, the brushes and motor itself were fine. What fails is the built-in safety resistor. There are a couple pieces of metal that serve to limit voltage to the motor as they heat up. As load increases, they get warm and the motor stops. The purpose of this is to stop the motor if a person's arm or neck get caught in it.

These metal strips in this safety resistor fail after time, and eventually they will not allow enough voltage to pass for normal operation. At this point, it is time to replace the motor.

Most aftermarket rebuilt motors cost about $50.00 and come with a lifetime warrenty. If you have the receipt from the motot you might be able to go get another one for free. Perhaps it was defective and the safety resistor failed prematurely?
Old 02-26-2005, 11:40 PM

[QUOTE=TABAHR]What causes the motors to fail is not usually due to useage or wear as much as time and corrosion. On both my failed motors, the brushes and motor itself were fine. What fails is the built-in safety resistor. There are a couple pieces of metal that serve to limit voltage to the motor as they heat up. As load increases, they get warm and the motor stops. The purpose of this is to stop the motor if a person's arm or neck get caught in it.

These metal strips in this safety resistor fail after time, and eventually they will not allow enough voltage to pass for normal operation. At this point, it is time to replace the motor.

Most aftermarket rebuilt motors cost about $50.00 and come with a lifetime warrenty. If you have the receipt from the motot you might be able to go get another one for free. Perhaps it was defective and the safety resistor failed prematurely?[/QU

lol this may be a dumb question is there any way to fix this ?
this motor was a gm dealer part that i had put in . it sucks being only used 20 or so times and i pad all that money ? i am not worried about any ones arms or hands.
thanks chad
Old 02-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Banned

I'd go to autozone and grab a new one, which is what i just did last week, came with a lifetime warrenty, you dont even have to save the recipt as long as u let them enter all your info into their computer.

I NEVER buy gm factory parts unless i have to
Old 02-27-2005, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by J3ff
I'd go to autozone and grab a new one, which is what i just did last week, came with a lifetime warrenty, you dont even have to save the recipt as long as u let them enter all your info into their computer.

I NEVER buy gm factory parts unless i have to
I agree. If it has already been swapped out once, the hard part of the job (drilling out the rivets) is already done. Just pop off the door panel and put the new motor in.

Shoebox has instructions posted HERE that should let you get the job done yourself in under an hour for $50.00. It's really not that hard to do.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:19 AM

WoW.....
I had my passenger side motor replaced less than 6months ago and it no longer works again as I only hear a click but window does not go up or down so this weekend I am replacing this and with ShoeBox's great instructions this will make the job soooooooo easy!
SHOEBOX
Old 02-27-2005, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by TABAHR
I agree. If it has already been swapped out once, the hard part of the job (drilling out the rivets) is already done. Just pop off the door panel and put the new motor in.

Shoebox has instructions posted HERE that should let you get the job done yourself in under an hour for $50.00. It's really not that hard to do.

thanks for the instructions Tabahr
i need to replace the drivers window motor guess i need to do the passanger since its slowing down . man i hope i dont scratch my window tint . atleast the passangers been replaced
Old 02-27-2005, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by ss96camaro
thanks for the instructions Tabahr
i need to replace the drivers window motor guess i need to do the passanger since its slowing down . man i hope i dont scratch my window tint . atleast the passangers been replaced
I just did both of mine this last fall. It sure is nice having two windows that cruise up and down nicely. I would also recommend using a cloth to clean all the old grease off the window tracks and apply some fresh white grease afterwards. A video of the track motion can be seen HERE. The video will help you see where to apply the grease.