General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Window motor

Old 12-29-2010, 01:25 PM

Window motor

Yes, I searched. And this question was asked, but seemed to be avoided. The drivers side window motor that was just replaced about 9 months ago, with only 2 months of being used, has gone out. It stopped working, then worked for about 5 seconds, then just completely stopped working all together. My window is stuck open, and I'm getting tired of rain getting into my car, and dealing with this cold weather while driving. Is there any way to get the window to go up without replacing it?
I've tried holding the button up while pushing the window motor up, but the motor makes no noise, makes no attempt at all.
Then, I tried removing the motor, to remove and sodder the piece inside of it and try that little trick, just to find out the screws/bolts holding the motor in place are stripped out and wont come out at all.

So, is there any way to get the window up, without having to remove anything other than the door panel?
Old 01-07-2011, 01:16 AM

Re: Window motor

No.You have to go to shoeboxes site to fix this.You have to replace the motor,by drilling out the rivets,about 8 hours work.If your window rail is shot,replace that as well.Hope this helps.(some times the hand button goes out to).(Check fuses first.)Nobody else chimed in,so I did.).
Old 01-11-2011, 03:44 PM

It will only take you 8 hours if you are blind and a double amputee ..You can replace the window motor in about 35-40 minutes. It is no big deal...I replaced mine after 7 years and 130,000 + miles three years ago...bought the replacement motor at Advance Auto Parts for $30 with a lifetime warranty...it goes up and down like a race horse..it is much better design than the OEM motor .. there is a good write up on the removal and instillation of the the window motor over on ls1tech.com...if you ever want to know how to do something go to ls1tech this site is shall we say sorry to say the lease when it come to tech stuff...the install directions even have photos..it is very EZ there really is nothing to it at all...

here is a link to fixing your problem

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

Last edited by Vette Pro; 01-11-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Vette Pro
It will only take you 8 hours if you are blind and a double amputee ..You can replace the window motor in about 35-40 minutes. It is no big deal...I replaced mine after 7 years and 130,000 + miles three years ago...bought the replacement motor at Advance Auto Parts for $30 with a lifetime warranty...it goes up and down like a race horse..it is much better design than the OEM motor .. there is a good write up on the removal and instillation of the the window motor over on ls1tech.com...if you ever want to know how to do something go to ls1tech this site is shall we say sorry to say the lease when it come to tech stuff...the install directions even have photos..it is very EZ there really is nothing to it at all...

here is a link to fixing your problem

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
LOL, my window motor fix was being posted here (and other sites) long before LS1tech was even a glimmer in a webmaster's eye. Lots of the same people visit both boards and my website. So they likely saw it somewhere else first.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:55 AM

I dont know if it was looked over, but I already replaced it 10 months ago using shbox's site. I use his site any time I do anything mechanical with my car. The problem is, the new bolts that hold the motor in, are stripped all to crap. I have no idea how all of them could, but they did. Looks like I'm going to have to just drill the bolts out, and just buy new bolts after I take the window motor apart and do the solder trick. Thanks for the replies!