General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

What's causing my brakes to engage? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 12:02 PM

What's causing my brakes to engage? Please help

So I've completed my LS swap into my 94 z28. But now I keep having brake issues. After installing engine brakes lines had air in them. So i did pads, roders master cylinder. Took it to midas brakes and had them bleed properly. Brakes working perfectly. After awhile of engine break in driving I started noticing my car driving sluggish from time to time. Figured out the brakes were grabbing . Then I burnt my transmission. I've also replaced brake booster and motor pack ALSO because I don't know why they are sometimes dragging. Any suggestions .

Last edited by Dub Wair; 05-24-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-16-2019, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Re: What's causing my brakes to engage? Please help

Not likely to get "tech" help in "Site Help and Suggestions"..... this forum is for problems with the site, like uploading photos, setting up your profile, entering a signature, etc. I'll move this to an appropriate tech forum where you are more likely to get help.

Fred / Moderator
Old 05-17-2019, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Is the brake system basically the stock 94 ABS system? Were any components relocated to accommodate the LS1 engine?

Does the brake pedal come back up fully when you take your foot off it?

Have you been able to determine is the failure of the brakes to release is all 4 wheels, or just front, or just back?

I wonder if Midas screwed up something in the ABS motor pack when they bled the brakes?

There's an interesting diagnostic chart in the factory service manual. I'll add a copy of it to this post when I get back to my PC.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:14 AM

1st ?. Yes stock abs
2. No components relocated
3. Yes brake pedals comes all the way up.
4. I can't 100% determined if all 4 are released but because of extremely high roader temps I'm sure it's all 4.
5. Not sure on motor pack. Where is it located and where is proportion value.? I also replaced brake booster. Thanks for responding

Last edited by Dub Wair; 05-18-2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-18-2019, 04:20 PM
Administrator

The ABS motor pack is the large silver mass mounted on the drivers side, under hood, inner fender. Has all the brake lines attached to it. The two lines from the master cylinder run to the combination valve on the side of the motor pack. That is primarily just a switch to detect pressure imbalance between the front and rear brake lines, to turn on the "BRAKE" light on the dash. "Proportioning" is done by the motor pack, based on differences between front and rear wheel speeds.

94 F-Body factory service manual brake diagnostics guide. If you need to download a copy of the manual, go here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
94 F-BODY BRAKES.pdf (1,019.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-18-2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The ABS motor pack is the large silver mass mounted on the drivers side, under hood, inner fender. Has all the brake lines attached to it. The two lines from the master cylinder run to the combination valve on the side of the motor pack. That is primarily just a switch to detect pressure imbalance between the front and rear brake lines, to turn on the "BRAKE" light on the dash. "Proportioning" is done by the motor pack, based on differences between front and rear wheel speeds.

94 F-Body factory service manual brake diagnostics guide. If you need to download a copy of the manual, go here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Swapped the motor pack already.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:57 AM

Recently replaced EBCM and rear speed sensor front left and rt iron break lines from motor pack to calipers that were slightly out place and bent during my installation. No change after a 2 miles or so of stop and go driving they engage but not at 100%.
ABS INOP and BRAKE indicator stay on.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:15 PM
Administrator

You need to scan the EBCM to find the code(s) that turned on the “ABS INOP” light. Scan9495 can read ABS codes:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/com...95-lt1-874306/

When the brakes were bled, did they do the two bleeders on the ABS motor pack, in the correct sequence?
Old 05-25-2019, 08:09 AM

You need to scan the EBCM to find the code(s) that turned on the “ABS INOP” light. Scan9495 can read ABS codes:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/com...95-lt1-874306/

When the brakes were bled, did they do the two bleeders on the ABS motor pack, in the correct sequence?
I' very seriously doubt it . Not sure if they bleed if the motor pack at all. But as far as starting with rear rt wheel they did.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:42 AM
Administrator

The motor pack has to be bled. If there's an ABS code set, bleeding it becomes very difficult, if they don't have a GM Tech-2 to “rehome” the motors. The full bleed procedure is detailed in the factory service manual. Free download here:

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti
Old 02-09-2020, 08:23 AM

The motor pack has to be bled. If there's an ABS code set, bleeding it becomes very difficult, if they don't have a GM Tech-2 to “rehome” the motors. The full bleed procedure is detailed in the factory service manual. Free download here:

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti
IVE now done abs delete and c5 roder and calipers upgrade as well Russell hose replacement and the are still doing the same. I'm wondering does the vacuum pressure from Ls1 to lt1 have anything to do with it,?