General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

What all wiring can I strip out of the car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 08:45 AM

Question What all wiring can I strip out of the car?

I am tearing my 94 Z down to make it a track/street car. I'm going to keep the car street legal, but will most likely be leaving the interior bare with a 10 pt cage and a custom dash. I have already removed most of the HVAC components and everything else from behind the dash. I'm looking to see what all components I can get rid of, and what the process for getting rid of some of the wiring should be. There is just so much wiring behind the dash, and I know I will not be needing some of it anymore. What has anyone else done? I just want to get rid of every non-essential part.

Last edited by RacerTim; 02-26-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:09 PM

If You Keep Factory Engine Harness You Will Have To Have It Worked Over To Make It A Stand Alone System. Or You Can Get One Aftermarket. Painless Or One Of The Other Wiring Companies. Several On Ebay. Once You Do That Most Wiring Can Come Out. If You Want To Get Rid Of Dash And Steering Column You Will Have To Get A Switch Box Or Some Other Type Of Ignition Switch. I Am In The Process Right Now Of Removing Guage Pod And Steering Column. I Have Already Done The Ac Stuff. I Have A Painless Harness.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Administrator

6089wally.....

Turn off the 'caps lock'. When you type in all caps, the software converts it to the "first letter of every word capitalized" style that makes the post look wierd and hard to read.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:35 PM

yeah that capitalized first word makes it very hard to read. I had to actually concentrate to read it.

I have or should I say I am stripping wiring from my car also. Basically what I did was gut the car first. I labeled every connector as I unplugged it from its component and started cutting. I started at each item I removed and worked my way backwards. I looked up each wire in a service manual and I knew what I was cutting and where it went before I did it. There are several splices in the center of the harness for grounds and stuff, but you can just cut out each wire and tape it back up.

I have removed a ton of wiring. interior lighting, PDL, hvac, stereo, alarm, air bag, abs, BCM, trunk lock.... ect. I cut open the harness running around to the front of the car and to the relay center under the hood. Wire by wire started taking out what I didnt need. I have probably removed 50lbs of wiring from the car. Maybe even more.

The best advice I can give is buy a factory service manual! its worth its weight in gold for this type of thing. I was just about finished but I dont have a motor in it yet to test my work. I recently decided to gut a stock guage cluster and fill it with my own guages. I have a lot more wiring to remove now.

I have not touched the engine harness yet. But you can do that the same way.

The only other option is to modify or have you engine harness modified for stand alone operation. Then buy a aftermarket harness for the car and wire it up.

I'm trying the factory wiring on a diet method first. I'm good with wiring so I know I can overcome any obstacles. I am looking to have the car gutted for weight but still look factory with the exception of blanks over the removed items like the radio and hvac controls.

here is a good source for modification of your harness.
http://www.currentperformance.com/

Last edited by Projectz28; 02-28-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:39 PM

Anyone else have input? I just started working on this again recently.

So far, I have removed all the wiring to into the doors, some of the airbag stuff. Removed to the engine harness to clean up.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:24 PM

My friend and I stripped down a 99 LS1 harness. It's insane how much wire we deleted Just find what things you don't want, and using a wiring diagram and pinouts and such find what wires are associated with it and we used a terminal removal tool to pull em all out of the connectors cleanly. Took forever but it was nice to have done, still gotta do the under hood portion
Old 04-24-2008, 01:26 PM

Start pulling wires. When you get to a point where it won't run, well, put that wire back in there.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:02 PM

That would be a good way if the car was running.

It would be kind of difficult to tear it apart to the point where all the wires are exposed and keep it running, don't ya think?

Actually, I'm building it strictly as a track car and don't want to buy a complete rewire kit for it.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RacerTim
I am tearing my 94 Z down to make it a track/street car. I'm going to keep the car street legal, but will .....
Originally Posted by RacerTim
.....Actually, I'm building it strictly as a track car and don't want to buy a complete rewire kit for it.
...?
Old 04-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Banned

If its a race car...your best bet is to just get a wiring kit.

My time is worth more than sitting there pulling wires out. Plus you could always sella complete harness.