General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

What all needs to be done to remove AC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 10:38 AM

What all needs to be done to remove AC?

For some reason I keep thinking I need to get a different bracket to replace my AC pump so the serpentine belt can still be used at it's current length. Is this true? If so, where can I get one? Also, all I do is remove the AC lines, pump, and anything that goes with it? Do I need to block off the lines or anything, or just remove them? Also is there a condensor somewhere I can take out? I've never really gotten up under there to check things out and I'm currently not near my car. But I was thinking since it currently doesn't work(needs a recharge), since I hardly use it(T-tops), and it's just gonna get in the way of my install anyway(LT's). I might as well remove it while I'm down there. Just wanna shed some pounds by removing all that's associated with it, and do it right some something doesn't get screwed up. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:53 AM

you need this delete pulley in place of the compressor. p/n 10115875. cant get it at gmpartsdirect.com What i did was just remove all the lines connected to the compressor and condensor. The condensor is under the radiator shroud. You can also remove that and all the lines connected to it.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:14 PM

If you're going to remove your A/C, you can also get that damn alternator out of your face if you use this bracket:

http://www.speedspecialty.com/store/...=lt1altbracket
Old 06-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Assuming its an LT1, as everyone else has done (not sure why everyone doesn't use the "signature" field to provide the necessary info??)...... You can also remove the evaporator, in the heater box at the firewall, but it requires working your way into it from the dash side. If you don't remove the evaporator, you will have the aluminum "block" that sticks out of the box, and that will leave you with 2 threaded holes. Won't hurt anything to leave them unplugged. Or stick a plastic pipe plug in to keep the dirt out.

On the condensor, after you remove it, there will be a gap between the plastic baffle and the radiator that will let air coming in from under the bumper escape out the sides. You need to stick some weatherstrip in there.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:25 PM

Sorry yes it is an LT1. I guess I'm just still used to posting things like this in LT1 tech instead of general F-body now. Before I didn't have to add a sig. everyone would just know it was an LT1.