General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

well went to the dealership today.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:17 PM

well went to the dealership today.....

and brought my own syn oil and filter and when he was lifting my car put the jacks slides under my car in the wrong spot and the car popped slide to one side and almost fell off the lift also bent the two metal prongs that are beside the front quarter panel near the frame.....i heard the pop and spoke to the service manager and we questioned the tech and looked at the car....he said....that it was already bent.....i said how would you know if you didnt even look to put the slides under the car, you just eaised them under with your foot....service mgr tried to pay for my oil change but i said i brought my own oil and filter, and finally offered to pay for the damage. man i hate having to get this fixed.

what will they have to do to fix this....should i look for any other damage i may have over looked?
Old 03-07-2007, 08:17 PM

If you already had your own oil & filter why didn't you change it yourself? Just curious, I'm not trying to be a dick.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:15 AM

no ramps and i didnt feel like doing it....i was on my lunch break
Old 03-08-2007, 01:40 PM

Sorry to say. But that is why nobody else touches my car except for me. That way I know what happens to it if somthing breaks. Instead of having to worry about sombody else doing the job wrong and also paying out the extra cash to have sombody do the job.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:18 PM

Did you get underneath the car yet and scope it out for any other damage? It not, then I would. I would also make sure both doors open and close properly and that the fenders aren't bulged out or anything. What bothers me the most is how the tech denied it and said the damage was already done without looking. Good luck to ya otherwise though.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 96ZCamaro
Sorry to say. But that is why nobody else touches my car except for me. That way I know what happens to it if somthing breaks. Instead of having to worry about sombody else doing the job wrong and also paying out the extra cash to have sombody do the job.
exactly right, an oil change takes me all of 20 minutes max, 5 of that is spent letting the oil drain, 5 is spent jacking the car up and down, 2 is spent changing shirts and pants into something dirty to do the job, and the majority of the rest is funneling the old oil into containers.... I have no sympathy for someone who is paying someone else to do maintainance on their car they can easily do themselves...especially a dealer...it could be worse, you could have taken it to walmart or an oil change place where they screw your oil plug bolt in with an air ratchet.... 50 lb ft later you have a stripped bolt threads in your pan and an oil leak.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:36 PM

In my case, I find it far more expensive and inconvienent to do my own oil changes. Either I can pull into the local oil change place, give them $30 and not have to deal with getting the oil, and disposing of the old and be done in the time it takes to get a McDonald's meal. Or I can blow an entire Saturday afternoon dealing with it. It may only take 20 mins to actually change the oil, but that's not counting getting the oil, finding a place to take the old oil, or cleaning up the mess in the back of my Camaro when the sealed jug split and dumped a gallon of oil all over.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Asylist
In my case, I find it far more expensive and inconvienent to do my own oil changes. Either I can pull into the local oil change place, give them $30 and not have to deal with getting the oil, and disposing of the old and be done in the time it takes to get a McDonald's meal. Or I can blow an entire Saturday afternoon dealing with it. It may only take 20 mins to actually change the oil, but that's not counting getting the oil, finding a place to take the old oil, or cleaning up the mess in the back of my Camaro when the sealed jug split and dumped a gallon of oil all over.
I can see this being the case for someone who lives at an apartment and is not allowed to work on their car in the parking lot (which I did for a time anyways back when I lived in such a place). But other than that, it sounds like either you own a vehicle that is a PITA to change...or you need to refine your technique.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:39 PM

doesnt matter if i took my car to get the codes checked for a check engine light.. any certified mechanic should take the time to make sure and not damage a customers car. i paid the dealer 5.95 to change the oil...
Old 03-09-2007, 06:29 PM

After the last go-around with my local service dept, I'll NEVER let anyone put my car on a lift unless I set it there.

They were troubleshooting a rough running issue that included replacing the stock cats. Lifted the car wrong and bent the mount points where the front quarter panel mounts bedind the front right wheel. Caused a huge gap issue on the right side. This is a Chevy "Goodwrench" shop mind you....

The body shop fixed it no charge.

Took it back when they failed to fix it and they offered to throw in a free tire rotation (since it was in the air anyway). Lifted it wrong again! And they didn't do the rotation (I marked the wheels prior to drop-off ). Body shop fixed AGAIN!

After all was said-and-done, I had to have the body fixed three times due to the service shop's stupidity.

NEVER AGAIN. I will gladly do my own service on my cars and bikes to keep some a$$-clown from damaging my vehicles.