LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

problems with SES on my z28... HELP, getting upset!

Old 10-10-2002, 09:38 PM

problems with SES on my z28... HELP, getting upset!

I bought my car a few weeks ago, and I love it, at least until now..... I'll just list steps of what I did with my car to better inform you..
- bought my car.
- 1 week later installed Whisper lid and k&n filter.
- 1 week later installed aftermarket MAF sensor ENDS, not the MAF just the smoothed out ends.
- 5 days after installing MAF ends, SES light comes on.
-take next day, take car into the shop. the tech says there were 2 codes on the light, one was a "low power" code and one was a "ABS" code.. he replace the ABS connector to the wiring harness, reset the codes and said I was good to go. I left the dealership, 5 minutes later the SES light came on again, so i took it back to the dealership. The tech said he was not sure why, and that it was probably becasue I was VERY low on gas. I put gas in the car, took it back to the dealership, the tech's computer kept getting signal-interrupted from my car for some reason...it kept loosing connection... anyway, he reset the codes again, and said it might come back on again becasue he wasn't sure what was going on.. i left and about 30 mins later the SES light came back on yet another time.
- six days later (today) i take my car into the shop again... they keep it there while i wait for almost 4 hours, and they acertain that the SES light was on because of codes P0171 and P0174, they said they checked fuel pressure, did some more diagnosis and everything checked ok (suuuuuuure they did)..... they even took it for a breif test-drive and the light did not come on, and seemed ok.... I leave the dealership and about 60 mins of driving later, the SES light comes back on AGAIN!....
Now I am starting to get pissed off, isn't this ludacris for a new car to be acting like this? is there anything I can tell to the dealership to make them fix it, or are they jsut going to keep resetting it (such bs)??? or am i thinking about this the wrong way, and should I just ignore the light..... I am sorry, but that light just pisses me off each time I look at it.. what do you recomend I do......

ps- each time the light came on, it was on the highway, where i do most of my driving, traveling about 75mph, at around 1500-2000 rpm.....
PELASE SOMEONE HELP, this is driving me insane... should I return the MAF ends, put EVERYTHING back stock, have them reset it, and see if I have the same problem? should I just buy a new MAF sensor? (though they tested it and said it checked ok)... Should I try to get this car taken back by the dealership and buy a mustang or what..... wtf please.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:51 AM

To eliminate any of the mods you've done as the problem I"d put it back to stock, a few thoughts about what may cause the ses light to come on. If you used the gasket for the K&N on the lid it may have come loose and is now sucked into the maf, oil from the K&N on the maf wires, in your sig you say the maf has been ported, check to see all the wire connections are tight on the maf and IAT ( check to see if you bent any prongs ), a good chance is it's the maf ends so you may want to start there. Good luck.

Al
Old 10-11-2002, 10:44 AM

I agree the first thing is to put it back to stock to rule that out as the cause. Another thing is what kind of gas are you using? Bad gas will do it. When you put your fuel cap back on, is it on correctly? This was a problem that I had one time. It took a few days for the light to go out after I fixed it. Maybe the cap itself is faulty. Just some ideas to think about. Good luck!
Old 10-11-2002, 10:46 AM

With those codes ... you're running lean. 0171 is bank 1, 0174 is bank 2.

Put the OEM MAF Ends back on and go to AutoZone to have them reset the code for you.

============

DTC P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1
DTC P0172 Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 1
DTC P0174 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2
DTC P0175 Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 2

============

Also, this might help you get some insight into what's going on:

http://www.c5forum.com/diy/ltft.php

Last edited by rncotton; 10-11-2002 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:45 PM

rncotton: ok I will putt he stock MAF ends back on asap.. I doahave a questiosn though, if I purchase a new MAF, instead of just the ends, would that fix my problem as well? (if so I will return these and just spend the extra $$ for a aftermarket MAF).. thats for your help that makes me feel 100x better about this situation... also............ is there some way to use the aftermarket ends, and fix my stock MAF so that it does not trip the lean-code?

ps-anyone know a URL where I can get a list of the codes, and what they mean??? thanks
Old 10-11-2002, 05:55 PM

TTT