General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Turn signals won't blink. HU lights dim with brake. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:50 AM

Turn signals won't blink. HU lights dim with brake. Help!

My front turn signals will not function when I have the headlight switch in the first on position or with the headlights on. Oddly enough, my taillamps blink perfectly while the fronts stay solid. With the headlight switch in the totally off position, everything blinks just as it should. DRL's still function as they should. I've done this test while not releasing the parking brake also.

On the dash, the turn signal indicators will light but when the "blink" occurs, the light goes half out (more like half lit). This is inline with my issue since one area is blinking correctly and the other is solid.

I've checked fuses, grounds on the passenger side fender, flashers, lamps, etc etc. It seems like some type of wiring issue. I've replaced the front sockets on the car since the stockers looked fried (still worked fine though). Any other relays I can check? Ground locations?

It just sounds like a front end electrical issue since both sides have the exact same symptom. Even when using the hazards, same thing occurs. I don't have a complete understanding of the electrical lighting system of the car or what else to check. DRL Module gone bad? I really don't know what else to look at. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for imposing.

Another small issue, noticed that my head unit lights dim when using the brake. They stay dim until I release my foot. Happens 90% of the time. Also, battery and alternator are new.

-Brian
Old 07-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Have you checked the voltage? All of the symptoms you described are typical of situations where there is insufficient voltage. Pull a headlight bulb and measure there, and then do it again while someone is holding the brake pedal. Also take a reading right at the alternator.

If you're getting 13.5+ volts at the alternator, but less at the headlight, then start checking connections and fuses again -- I can almost guarantee that you missed something. Don't just check that they look and feel good -- measure resistance across them with an ohm meter.

You don't have one of those battery disconnect things, do you?

These are notorious for limiting current from the battery and causing the problems you're describing.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:20 AM

no battery disconnect here. Battery volts with the car running are 13.9-14.1 with the car running. My racetronix fuel pump wiring harness has an upgraded ground wire and bolt kit for the negative terminal. I will check the voltage at the headlamp harness and report back. Besides the fuses, what connections could i be missing for the front turn signals. Almost seems like the power connection is not being broken for the high power filament(this no flashing with the headlights on)