General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Troubleshooting a cruise control problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:04 PM

Question Troubleshooting a cruise control problem.

I understand that the third brake light being out will keep the cruise control from working. My question about the thrid brake light is should it be lit when the parking lights are on or does it only light up when the brakes are applied? It's the car in the sig. Thanks!!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:57 PM

It lights only with the brake. That's why they call it a "third brake light". It's official name is a CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Lamp).
Old 07-25-2007, 09:56 AM

Question

Allrighty. Thanks. I was just unsure because the brake lights are lit without the brakes being applied when the parking lights are on.

Shoebox, checked your site out looking for the "switches" on the brake pedal for the cruise control. If their there, I couldn't find them. Not sure where I need to be looking. Is it a relay switch under the hood in the relay box or is there an actual switch of sorts mounted under the dash on the brake pedal assembly?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:34 PM

Recently my cruise stopped working, I checked the cable and the module and all looked good.

The problem was the small bell crank (lever) that bolts onto the throttle body roating shaft was installed 180 degrees off. I had carelessly installed it wrong when I did some work on the TB recently. Installed it right and the cruise now works perfectly.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Harvey
Allrighty. Thanks. I was just unsure because the brake lights are lit without the brakes being applied when the parking lights are on.

Shoebox, checked your site out looking for the "switches" on the brake pedal for the cruise control. If their there, I couldn't find them. Not sure where I need to be looking. Is it a relay switch under the hood in the relay box or is there an actual switch of sorts mounted under the dash on the brake pedal assembly?
Are you sure it is not just the low element in the bulb you are seeing?

There are switches for the brake lights and cruise on the brake pedal assy and another cruise switch on the clutch pedal assy.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:59 PM

Thumbs up

wrd1972, I'll have to take a look at that. It's been out a while and it seems like I remeber it just going out. I don't think it was after any work that I did. But, it never hurts to double check.

Shoebox, it is the low element in the bulb I was talking about on the tail lights. With the parking lights on, the tail lights light up using the low element. When the brakes are applied they get brighter, using the bright elements I assume. I was wondering if the thrid brake light is supposed to be like that or not. Talking about the switches. Are these the ones right in front of the pedal assembly?