General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Starting a 99 Camaro Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 08:57 PM

Starting a 99 Camaro Project

Now that the sons 93 Z28 is finally on the road and problem free after a long line of problems I have got back to messing with my projects. I have finally decided to let go of my 55 Chevy 150 sedan.

Years ago I picked it up cheap. Fixed a lot of the rust out, dropped a 78 350/350 in it, drag seats, fuel cell, shifter, etc. Tried for years to get a legal title on it. I got police writeups, visual police inspection, checked the DMV and police with the VIN. No problems. Even went the full legal route and had a justice of the peace court order and the Louisiana DMV denied me on the "fact" that there is a title out there for it somewhere even though they can't find the car in the system at all. I tried count less times. Even tried other options and nope. So I have decided to just pull my equipment and sell the hull. (still a lot of metal work to do on it, not a perfect hull by any means)

After making this decision I was just browsing facebook market place and ran across a local 99 camaro for sale for 500 OBO. I went to look at it and decided to make a offer. It was a factory v6/5 speed car/3.23 gears ( I think open diff). Still had good paint, 4 wheel disks, aluminum rims, and still had a very good interior. Even the windshield is good.

I have it now at the house and will finish up the transaction at the DMV (Have a signed and notarized title) Monday. These pictures were taken where I picked the car up at the previous owners house.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/safjist_nipnog/, on Flickr

It's at the house now and I did a quick wash off, clean out the interior and organize parts that were left.

When the original v6 gave way it double stacked the bearings and scored the crank and block. The owner at the time dropped the engine and trans and then left it in pieces. Lots of little stuff was missing like the alternator and throttle body for the aluminum intake manifold. I will be trying to sell the 5 speed and good parts for the v6 that is left. While all of this is going on I will be weighing my options for a replacement. It won't be a v6. Too much stuff is missing anyway like the computer is MIA but I have the under hood wiring harness. I will be doing what I can to make it a butcher free install on the harness or at least have it spliced correctly and going to try to not cut the cowl if possible.

I still need to fully research this year model to see what's/what. I know it has 4 wheel disks. But I don't know how those brake sizes compare to a z28. And I will have to swap springs out later on. Just to see what is different. I have a ton of parts I had put up for the 55 chevy to use but just never put it on when I got tied up on the title part.

Currently at my disposal in or around my shop I have.

94 z28 parts car, T top car, still has power steering pump, but under hood harness, engine, trans and computer is gone. Has third gen camaro rims on it as rollers to keep it mobile.

From the 55 Chevy:
1978 Chevy 350 all stock except headers, from a 3/4 ton van, all stickers say HD engine so it should be a 4 bolt block, never had to pull the pan. Van was purchased from original owner so said he had only changed a water pump on the van. Still has factory 4v and HEI distributor with van under hood wiring harness hooked to a ignition key. Vbelt set up with only pulling alternator and water pump.

1978 Th350 from said van

B&M star shifter

Plastic high back racing buckets with slides and mounts

Plastic full cell with AN fittings and Fuel lines with AN fittings

Out in the shed:

Two Msd 6al boxes
New in the box 7AL3
Jacobs MSD style boxes X3
Mallory ignition boxes x 3
Various performance coils
Mallory comp 9000 dist
Mallory dist, small cap, mech advance only
Accel distributor dual point
Accel Distributor electronic with box
New performance plug wires
Nitrous express hit man system currently set at 150 hp
B&M th350 shift kit
Distributor re-curve kit
69 327 heads, 64 cc, needs valves but were reworked and just put up
Comp Full roller rockers. (not sure if 1.5 or 1.6 ratio, got in a trade)
Lunati roller camshaft around .488 lift, stock style roller lifters for 86 up blocks.
Holley commander 950 with LT1 style harness
Edelbrock Torker 2 intake (hey I wanted the carb on it, lol)
Factory dual quad 1957 chevy intake manifold
Three Edelbrock 600 cfm carbs that need to be rebuilt
Three Holley 600/650 carbs taht need to be rebuilt
6.0 Ls computer (2500 4x4) missed the running engine for 600 bucks by two days, dang it.

I also have found for about 500 bucks but think I can get them cheaper a set of the dart iron eagle heads that are summit branded. They were used for a little bit then took off. Stainless under cut valves, valve guides and ARP 3/8" bolts.

(also know where a 98 suburban is sitting up and 4.8 pickup both with autos the inlaws have)

So I have lots of options and need to pin one down. But first need to find what I have on the car, then what I need to take off the other car, then go from there.

Car is going to mainly be a cruiser with a little extra kick. It's not my only toy so it's not a rush on it.

Here is my cars info. I got some of these codes decoded, but I got more to go.

Last edited by ADOR; 08-13-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Starting a 99 Camaro Project

Fun!

Stock brakes on a 98-02 Z28 are 12" discs all around.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Compnine website will give you a printout of the vehicle info, including manufacture date, and complete decode of all RPO #'s. Used to be free, but now there is a small charge.

Comprehensive Chevrolet, ..... VIN Decoder
Old 08-14-2017, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Free download of 1999 factory service manual available from a list on this site:

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti
Old 08-15-2017, 02:54 PM

Thank you all that have replied. Still got more research to do and will be looking though the manuals link in the next few days for what I need.

I confirmed the brakes are still stock. Have the aluminum dual piston calipers up front. So I will be good on the brakes for a v8!

Looks like the 3.23 diff is open, but if the 94 z28 parts car I have is the same size rear brakes I can swap rear ends from the parts cars later on and not worry about caliper size to the master cylinder. It's not high on the list of stuff to do yet. Maybe when I decide what engine is going into it and I have to do fuel pump/line mods I can do that all at once. (if any mods are needed) Maybe even make a door for the fuel pump while all of that is out. (need to lift the carpet and see if it's been done yet or not, lol.

The cars computer and alternator is missing from the parts I have finally sorted though and I have texted the PO to see if they are still there. Not really worried about the computer as I am not putting a v6 back in but the Alternator would save me a few bucks from getting one or a compatible one from the local junk yard. (no 4th gens in that yard anymore)

Well back to more planning, thanks again. When I got some progress and more decided I will post some pictures.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:42 PM

Found out more differences in the brakes on the rear end, etc. If I wind up swapping that. Right now looking over the pro / cons of these combos and looking at the differences in the wiring harness if I do a LS swap.

350/th350 (have it on hand, have shifter and un-installed shift kit for trans)
350/700r4 (have on hand, trans got water in it but was still working)
350/t5 (I would have to leave the stock cam in it and be easy on shifts, but would get me a od and a manual while looking/saving for t56)

If I can find a 4.8 cheap enough may go that route. I like engines that like to rev. Only LS part I have in the shop is a 6.0/4l80e/4x4 computer.
4.8/th350
4.8/700r4
4.8/5speed(yes be easy on it till a alternative can be found)

(yes I have read the long list of cons for the 5speed, mainly looking at it for a OD trans)
Old 08-25-2017, 09:07 PM

decided to add the Baby LT1 4.3 "265 CID" engine with 5 speed as a option as well. Still a 8 with less torque so the T5 may live behind it.

Measured my TH350 today and it's the 9" tail shaft version so it's the same length as the 700r4.

Has anyone used the two piece drive shaft on a v8? I did several searches but didn't find any hits on it. I am on the look out for a Aluminum drive shaft locally but may have to expand my search.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:08 AM

While looking over everything over while away at work I researched everything needed to narrow my search down. This is what I am down too.

For induction:

Torker 2 intake manifold (not the best for the combo but is low profile and should clear)with 2v 670 cfm holley or 700 cfm holley4v TBI. I will have to measure, it will be easy to hook up to the v6 feed and return line. It has a regulator built inside the TB so all that would be taken care of. (if the pump still works)

If the Torker 2 won't fit a stock TBI intake with porting can be made to work.

Stock LT1 intake modded for SBC use. ( I won't have to measure it as I know it clears this chassis)

Decided I could make the 5speed live, but needed too much to run it and would just run one of two trans I have.

TH350 long tail shaft, no drive shaft problems, have shift kit for it. (not installed yet) Have a ratchet shifter already. (need TB or carb style kick down cable style holder)

700r4 (was working, I drained the water and oil that was out of it (the cooler starated leaking on the previous owner) and it has been allowed to drip into the empty pan for months, Finish cleaning it out, do corvette servo mod, will need a shifter) (Need TB carb bracket or if I use LT1 intake a long style TV cable)

I am still deciding on the wiring. I still got a ton of reserach to do on this. I can Mod the original 3.8 harness and use it with the 3.8 computer to run the gauges, etc. Use the Commander 950 computer for the rest of it.

I looked at the LT1 harness/computer and decided against it. If I am going to do all of that I think I will get a 99 up LSx Fbody harness for plug and play to my Chassis then get a LSx computer. Then do the required mods to run it on the gen 1 SBC. This way if I ever do a full LSx swap in the future all I would need is the engine/trans, then a LS1/6 intake and Fbody oil pan to clear everything.

Another intake, heads and wiring/computer combo I looked into was a 98 truck 5.7 Vortec. I will still take measurements just to see if it would of fit. But with the throttle body moved forward on that intake it may of cleared if the over all intake isn't too tall.

Last edited by ADOR; 09-15-2017 at 09:05 PM.