General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

General advice getting my 99 Z28 back on the road after being stored for 10 years

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:28 AM

General advice getting my 99 Z28 back on the road after being stored for 10 years

Hello everyone,

so I'm importing a 99 Z28 gifted to me from my mother, from the US to Germany in the spring but I need to get it back in running condition first, and I wanted to inquire about some general advice about doing this. It has to be road ready for me to import it.

My mom parked this car in her barn about 10 years ago with only 50k miles on it and didn't treat the gas (although I asked her many times to do so). So, obviously now it doesn't start. Have you guys ever dealt with this?

I'm compiling a parts list to gather before I go back to the US in January to fix the car, and trying to foresee any possible problems due to the car's storage.

So far, I think I'll need to change:

Have I left anything out? Any general advice on getting this car back on the road that I might not have thought of?

Thanks for your input.
    -Mike
    Old 09-14-2017, 04:31 PM
    Administrator

Re: General advice getting my 99 Z28 back on the road after being stored for 10 years

10+ year old tires definitely need to be replaced, even if it was up on blocks, or wheels/tires were removed and stored.

Flush/Replace coolant.

Flush/replace brake fluid.

Replace PCV valve, air filter

Drain/refill engine oil.

Check A/C charge.

You can inspect metal brake and fuel lines for corrosion. Check rubber/nylon lines for cracking.

Is this an auto or manual trans? Auto trans needs flush/replace fluid and filter.

I've been wrestling with the best way to fully clean the fuel system (not sitting for 10 years though, only a few). Current thoughts:

-have injectors cleaned

-inspect fuel tank for corrosion - cut hatch, inspect via sending unit hole. Careful, no sparks, in the event there is still some fuel/vapor in the tank.

-if pump sock is clean (if not, replace), and pump runs:

-take fuel lines off at rails, and connect supply and return lines together.

-jumper filter temporarily

-circulate solvent/cleaner through clean lines using fuel pump

-when circulating fluid appears clean, insert fuel filter, circulate some more, and then replace filter

-have rails cleaned

-inspect fuel pressure regulator for damaged diaphragm

-drain solvent, replace with gasoline

My setup is complicated with dual fuel pumps, outboard fuel pressure regulator, all SS braided -AN lines, and costly 76 #/HR injectors.
    Old 09-15-2017, 01:58 AM

Re: General advice getting my 99 Z28 back on the road after being stored for 10 years

Yeah I think doing all you've mentioned would cover it. Thanks for the advice. What kind of solvent would you use? I think acetone might damage any rubber or plastic it contacts. What about toluene or naphtha?
    Old 09-15-2017, 01:06 PM
    Administrator

An error in my earlier list.... your 99 does not have a recirculating fuel system, it is dead-ended. So recirculating solvent is limited. However it would still make sense to flush the line with solvent. Your access to the fuel pressure regulator is somewhat limited. Seems like 99% of the activity on this site is LT1 oriented, and I wasn't thinking when I typed my earlier response.

I would consider using fuel system/injector cleaner. Like Chevron Techron, BG44, Royal Purple Max-Clean, etc. Typical ingredients are naphtha and other light hydrocarbons, Stoddard solvent, and benzene compounds. Just do a search for the name of the product, followed by "MSDS" to see the contents.