General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Sparying engine with pressure washer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 06:45 PM

Sparying engine with pressure washer?

I sometimes spray my engine with a pressure washer to get all of the dirt and grease off of it. I see a lot of people on here say that it's a terrible thing to do to your car. After I spray it down I usually let it set for about an hour before I fire it back up. What can be harmed by this, and why isn't it recommend by some people on here? Please let me know before I might possibly ruin something!
Old 04-08-2004, 06:47 PM

OPTI!! OPTI!! OPTI!!
Old 04-08-2004, 06:52 PM

Apparently, your optispark is sealed quite well. There are some that can't even drive by a car wash and not get a stumble. Even so, pressure washing an LT1 is not something I would recommend. Plus, if I did wash it, I would fire it up right away to dissipate all the moisture.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:15 PM

just leave it run, spray it down, put some simple green on it, let it sit for a bit, spray it off. Never hurt my car.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:32 PM

I sprayed some degreaser and pressure washed my LT1 when I first got it back in December, before I really knew anything about this board or the LT1 in general.... It ran like complete dog **** for about 3 days. It would barley run, could not hold a steady idle, and jerked, squeked, and it was just a horrible experience. After I did this, I thought a plug wire might have fallen off, but all of them were still on. It eventually cleared up, but every now and then at higher RPMs I still hear a slight whining noise that reminds me of the same noise that happened after I pressure washed my engine. I'm guessing my opti cleared up almost by itself. By the way, it's a 94, so it has the unvented opti...
Old 04-08-2004, 08:03 PM

HAND CLEAN!!! all I can say..with some simple green and then detailer spray...works wonders..never put a sprayer to my engine bay and it gets compliments all the time!!!
Old 04-08-2004, 08:08 PM

I guess I got lucky before I knew about the Opti taking a crap by doing this I washed mine 3 times.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by S.J.S.
OPTI!! OPTI!! OPTI!!
Yes, if anything, stay away from the front of the engine with that pressure washer.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:48 AM

I had a feeling that pressuring washing it could cause a problem. I guess so far i've been lucky because I have done it probably about 3 times or so. What is simple green? I just can't see how you could truly clean the engine bay without at least spraying it down a little bit to get it a little moist.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:26 PM

Well my advice is to stay away from the optispark and the other electronical crap. But then again Caps was pry right when he said hand clean it.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:31 AM

Originally posted by 95_Blk_Z28
What is simple green? I just can't see how you could truly clean the engine bay without at least spraying it down a little bit to get it a little moist.

http://www.simplegreen.com/

AWESOME stuff. extremely strong stuff. It says it needs to be dilluted on a 20:1 ratio, i have heard of people putting it directly on, rubbing/scrubbing, and paint coming off

I've always just sprayed it directly on, and sprayed it off w/o scrubbing, unless i was under the engine bay,cleaning off a black spot or somthing. No paint came off then though.

The stuff is like Carb cleaner, it can clean everything

The cool thing about it, is that it is non toxic/bioldegradable, so you could literally drink it and it wouldn't hurt you

Disclaimer: I Don't recommend this, although I read someone on here paid a friend 5 bucks to do it

I had about 3 years of research on Camaros' before i even bought one, so i've heard a thing or 2 about the opti, needless to say, i've never left any water running if my hood is popped

Last edited by jdhommert; 04-10-2004 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:37 AM

Optispark = bad

I swear, I've never even had a Camaro with that garbage on it and from what I've heard I already hate it
Old 04-10-2004, 01:16 PM

How about some LS1 guys replies!I'm too worried to do mine,the LS1 has way too many comp parts up top for me!
Old 04-10-2004, 02:55 PM

I have hosed my LS1 many times.Yes avoiding the fuses,electronics and pcm but not completely.No ill effects.

Now like some have mentioned I learned from others about not washing my LT1 like I do my LS1.Makes me paranoid.So I hand wash/dry with one of those hairy handmits.Staying clear of the front of motor.Thinking about trickle effects from areas you may PREsume safe.And just wiping those.
I'm using simple green next time although just basic dish soap cut the crud pretty easy.

I have not removed my opti yet.Or seen up close how the opti is put together. Or where the water is able to breach the unit. But I have though why cant a guy get real crafty and seal it up like a frogs butt?With gaskets, silicone or something to eliminate the prob. other than going vented.Believe me when its time to do my opti this will be looked at for any possibility.
I too dislike the mental strain of not being able to wash like I'm acustomed to with the other Camaros. But I love the new LT1 just as much as the others Florida-BOY
Old 04-10-2004, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by #7
I have hosed my LS1 many times.Yes avoiding the fuses,electronics and pcm but not completely.No ill effects.

Now like some have mentioned I learned from others about not washing my LT1 like I do my LS1.Makes me paranoid.So I hand wash/dry with one of those hairy handmits.Staying clear of the front of motor.Thinking about trickle effects from areas you may PREsume safe.And just wiping those.
I'm using simple green next time although just basic dish soap cut the crud pretty easy.

I have not removed my opti yet.Or seen up close how the opti is put together. Or where the water is able to breach the unit. But I have though why cant a guy get real crafty and seal it up like a frogs butt?With gaskets, silicone or something to eliminate the prob. other than going vented.Believe me when its time to do my opti this will be looked at for any possibility.
I too dislike the mental strain of not being able to wash like I'm acustomed to with the other Camaros. But I love the new LT1 just as much as the others Florida-BOY
I like the LT1 cars too, that optispark thing sucks though.