General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

sometimes when i get on it in 1st, the back of my z feels likes its hopping/shaking??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 11:46 PM

sometimes when i get on it in 1st, the back of my z feels likes its hopping/shaking??

sometimes(not all the time ) when i get on my car in 1st gear the back of my car seems like its shaking up and down, (sounds/feels like crap ), any ideas of what it could be? thanks in advance for any help
Old 12-30-2004, 11:53 PM

Re: sometimes when i get on it in 1st, the back of my z feels likes its hopping/shaki

Probably Wheel Hop

How much tread do you have left on your backtires? if they are near bald its wheel hop

Mine does it all the time, rotate tires and you should be good
Old 12-30-2004, 11:58 PM

Re: sometimes when i get on it in 1st, the back of my z feels likes its hopping/shaki

im not sure how to rate how much tread is left, but id say maybe 50%? what causes it to hop like that?
Old 12-31-2004, 12:52 AM

Well its like this

When you floor it, your tires have grip and you go, no spinning

when you are low on tread, it will grip some then slip some and so on and so on

so this is why you have wheel hop, your tires get gripping then slip so your car bounces a little bit
Old 12-31-2004, 05:25 AM

When you lowered the car... did you use relocation brackets for the LCA's? If not, that can cause wheel hop to happen more often. I never had a problem with it before I lowered mine (although I'd only owned it a couple of months before I dropped it). Now it happens sporadically for me as well.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:52 AM

Re: sometimes when i get on it in 1st, the back of my z feels likes its hopping/shaking??

ah....dude....tread has VERY LITTLE to do with wheelhop!

it's more to do with the rear axle geometry. specially if lowered!

if the bushings are weakened and allow flex the rear axle goes out of alignment and causes the axle to rotate under load. this causes wheelhop. the lower control arms and the torque arm are all in place to prevent this. but as i said, old bushings will cause flex.

and lowering places an even smaller angle on the LCAs which makes them that much less effective at controlling axle twist. that is why relocation brackets help, the re-establish the proper (and sometimes better than stock) alxe geometry.

solution for wheelhop:
torque arm bushing
lower control arms

that solves 95% of cases usually

if lowered you need the relocation brackets and it will probably COMPLETELY eliminate the hop.

new tread or old tread wheelhop can be a problem. it's more the suspension geometry than tread...
Old 01-01-2005, 10:29 AM

Re: sometimes when i get on it in 1st, the back of my z feels likes its hopping/shaking??

Originally Posted by teke184

torque arm bushing
lower control arms

relocation brackets
how much do these run? pretty hard to install?
thanks everyone for there help !
Old 01-01-2005, 04:55 PM

Torque arm = $180 + non-adjustable, $250 + adjustable. Adjustable means you can turn an adjuster on the torque arm to adjust the pinion angle for optimum traction. I wished I'd got an adjustable one -- but I like to play at the track and need max traction. The factory TA bushing shell is a pain to remove to use a new polyurethane bushing but you don't want to keep stock bushing. Get a poly transmission mount and install it while your under there, I bent a $380 driveshaft when mine let go I pulled the tranny crossmember to lower the tranny for more room to work on the torque arm bushing. Tranny mounts are $25

Lower control arms are about $200 for the pair and come with poly bushings. The lowering brackets can be purchased with these or seperately, I think their around $50 a pair My car isn't lowered but I will get these 'cause I'm planning on an adjustable ride height coil over shock setup.

The lower control arms are pretty easy, just do one side at a time 'cause they are locating your axle. The relocation brackets should be done at the same time and require welding to the axle tube.

As said previously, it's the suspension geometry causing the wheel hop.

Z28Nut
Old 01-01-2005, 05:27 PM

The TA would be a great idea to upgrade in the future but I would say the relocation brackets should be your first mod to try... wouldn't hurt to put some new LCA's in while you're at it but it wouldn't be required.

Just do a search on the forums for "relocation brackets" or "wheel hop" and you should get a few results that'll help you out.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:19 PM

wow dude...what are you using? gold plated LCAs?

BMR makes great products at reasonable prices...and a choice of color.

tubular LCAs with poly bushings for $110

weld in brackets for $70 or bolt in for $110

i have the bolt in (got them used for $60) and they install very easy with simple tools.
LCAs are even easier.

as for teh TA bushing, it is very easy if you drop the trans crossmember...took an hour, which included having to grind off some rivets holding the stock unit in place on the bracket.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:28 PM

Oops, shoulda looked it up first. Something musta got crossed up in my memory . . . It was about two years ago when I did mine.

Don't pick on the old guy, k?