General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 12:37 PM

Seats?

Hi everyone. Just picked up a 96 z that needs new seats. Anyone know a place to get them for a decent price? Every site I've looked at only sold up to 92 and 5th gen.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Re: Seats?

“New Member Introduction” isn’t the best place to post questions asking for help. Let's move this to a forum where you might be more likely to get help.

And to clarify....what parts of the seats are you looking for - covers, foams, both, or complete new seats, front and rear?
Old 05-30-2019, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
“New Member Introduction” isn’t the best place to post questions asking for help. Let's move this to a forum where you might be more likely to get help.

And to clarify....what parts of the seats are you looking for - covers, foams, both, or complete new seats, front and rear?
New seats
Old 05-31-2019, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Shutch
Hi everyone. Just picked up a 96 z that needs new seats. Anyone know a place to get them for a decent price? Every site I've looked at only sold up to 92 and 5th gen.
What do you mean by it needs "new seats"? Do the seats need to be reupholstered or are you looking to replace the factory seats with aftermarket ones?

If they need some cosmetic reupholstering then look for some local shops and Hawks Motorsports sells upholstery kits for our cars!
https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/98-...holstery-kits/

I had a local shop work on my driver seat and they did a pretty good job with the exception of leaving out the locking ring for the head rest which is now lost. I plan on going aftermarket in the future anyways since my Trans Am seats are uncomfortable anyways.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
What do you mean by it needs "new seats"? Do the seats need to be reupholstered or are you looking to replace the factory seats with aftermarket ones?

If they need some cosmetic reupholstering then look for some local shops and Hawks Motorsports sells upholstery kits for our cars!
https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/98-...holstery-kits/

I had a local shop work on my driver seat and they did a pretty good job with the exception of leaving out the locking ring for the head rest which is now lost. I plan on going aftermarket in the future anyways since my Trans Am seats are uncomfortable anyways.

I hope this helps.
This actually helps a lot. The seats are broken down and need new covers and foam. I was just curious if there was a site that sold the complete aftermarket that match the old ones so I could compare the prices between new and reupholstered.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Shutch
This actually helps a lot. The seats are broken down and need new covers and foam. I was just curious if there was a site that sold the complete aftermarket that match the old ones so I could compare the prices between new and reupholstered.
Well, aftermarket seats won't EVER look exactly like the original factory seats, and with many you will end up losing any power options that may have come with the factory seats. I use mine manually so as long as the seat tilts back and forth like my factory seats I will be happy.

My one driver seat ended up being around $1000 to get reupholstered and with new cushion material. From this you see why many people just install aftermarket seats! Furthermore, short of some desire to keep the car stock, you may want to spend the extra money to get the seats reupholstered! For me, it fixed the problem with my seat springs digging through the seat cushion which had worn away and eaten up the leather. The only problem, these stock seats are not as comfortable as I wish they could be! Aftermarket seats also tend to be lighter and when you remove the factory wiring to power the stock power options on the seats it helps to save some weight as well.

I am not sure what aftermarket seats you would go for but I prefer to have something that isn't too race inspired if you know what I mean. For example, Corbeau Sport seats appear stock enough and do flow with the interior styling and they look comfortable though I need to sit in one to judge for myself!

Picture stolen from LS1 Tech Forum Thread: What aftermarket 1993-02 Fbody Seats are best????

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...eats-best.html

Looking at a Jegs sales ad I got in the mail, I noticed their seats. Scat Elite Lumber Series 1200 Seat. It is another more stock looking seat I would be interested in though I am not digging the styling.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Scat/942/80-1...SABEgJBcvD_BwE

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 06-01-2019 at 11:55 AM.