General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Saying goodbye to a great car; 95 convertible wrecked

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 09:56 AM

Unhappy Saying goodbye to a great car; 95 convertible wrecked

My 1995 convertible Z28 was hit hard in the rear last Tuesday afternoon and is beyond repair . I wanted to post the bad news with the board only because I have had so many good folks here share their time and talent to help me keep it running over the ten years I drove it and I didn't want it to just disappear without an explanation.

I had let my daughter (who loved driving it) take it on an afternoon visit to a friend. She got caught in a freeway sudden slow down and though she had stopped, the person behind her failed to brake in time; pretty standard stuff. The impact drove her into the car ahead of her so it is wrecked at both ends. The car took the big hits without transferring too much of it to my daughter so she is sore but should not have any future problems which is the best news.

I am going to miss it. I had driven it earlier in the day and was, again, super impressed with how it drove; the tight handling and strong acceleration and brakes. I always enjoyed the V8 rumble and the six speed control over the drive. I still have my 1996 SS track car and will continue to check in and post on camaroZ28.com.

Thanks again for all the help and fellowship.

Enjoy every drive!

Old 01-14-2020, 11:15 AM

Re: Saying goodbye to a great car; 95 convertible wrecked

Well damn. Sorry about the car. Glad your daughter is OK.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Damn... that's nasty. A shame we've lost another well taken care of 4th Gen.

As I noted in my PM, glad your daughter was not seriously hurt. And something I forgot to add in the PM - thank you for the positive feedback on the help you have received from this site.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:51 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

That is a bummer. Glad nobody was seriously hurt.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:38 PM

Oh that sucks! Like everyone else has already said, I'm glad no-one was hurt.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:09 PM

I'm glad your daughter is good. And that's a cool z28 too. 💪✌👌👍
Old 01-17-2020, 07:08 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Fix it !!!
Old 02-27-2022, 06:29 PM

Thread update:

And for some hurts there's Autotrader . . . . .

Yep I found almost exactly the same car on Autotrader and purchased it from Rydell Chevrolet in Waterloo, Iowa. The dealer was great to deal with, Tom Heit was the salesman and was super fast in getting me photos and information I needed to feel comfortable buying the car sight unseen. He took videos of the car and sent them to me when the bill of lading was made with the trucking company and he made sure all the paperwork including original owners manual were in the glove box!

The transport company was Safe Auto Transport out of Sacramento, CA who did a great job of staying on schedule, getting the car to my place in Nevada right when they said they would. The car got a little dirty on the trip but not too bad. I think the trucker took mercy on the super clean car (Rydell had not let it out of the show room in the winter!) and loaded on top to reduce the sludge from with winter roads. From what I gathered in talks with dispatch had started his run in Georgia, picked up a car in Kentucky right before he went to Waterloo, IA and had to drop one of his cars in Wyoming before heading down to Salt Lake City and then west to Gardnerville NV.

I gave it a wash and test drive and have to tell you it is a beautiful car. The interior is the red and gray tweed type upholstery (just like my old one) in perfect condition and the top looks like brand new. It drove just like it should and doesn't appear to be lacking in any maintenance nor does it it look to have ever been modified or molested!

They say that in the end everything will be alright and if it's not alright, it must not be the end! Two years after having my all-time favorite car destroyed by a careless driver I am back cruising with the top down!
Old 02-28-2022, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by squarehead
Thread update:Yep I found almost exactly the same car on Autotrader and purchased it from Rydell Chevrolet in Waterloo, Iowa.
In 1995, there were only 25 white Z28 6 speed convertibles with the Flame Red cloth interior according to the book, All 1993-1997 Chevrolet Camaro Colors, Codes And Quantities by Robert Casey. I would say you were extremely lucky to find another! Congrats on the new purchase.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:31 AM

Hi peterpar,

Wow, thanks for the information. I didn't know about production numbers but now that I do I feel even more fortunate to have found this car. The only OEM difference between this and my previous car is the lack of traction control. To me this is a plus as I don't drive too fast on the street and it is one less thing to give me trouble down the road.