General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Removed Window Tint, couldnt find second layer

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 12:23 AM

Removed Window Tint, couldnt find second layer

I had a problem with my window tint that came with the car (im the second owner). I took off the tint today (It isn't dark at all, you can hardly notice the window is tinted). I read online about there being a second layer that was really hard to get off. Well, all I did was peel the tint off and i couldnt find a second layer. I used a razor to scrape off a few spots where there was glue. I then used windex and cleaned it and then used another automotive window cleaner.

Is there always a second layer because i couldnt find it. I want to get my window retinted but I want to make sure that the whole thing was off first.

BTW, what percent tint do you guys perfer? I have a perscription for tints so I can go as dark as i want. I think that dark tints look cool, but do any of you that have those dark tints regret it(As in everything looks too dark from inside, and cant see at night)? I haven't had the chance to compare any tints.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:00 AM

Re: Removed Window Tint, couldnt find second layer

There probably isn't a 2nd layer of tint on your windows. As far as how dark you should go, I don't know what percentage mine are, but backing up at night sucks. I do love the look though.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:25 AM

I had to pull off my driver side tint because the original was done like crap. I only pulled one layer off too. I heard that usually there's two layers but it must not always be the case. I have 20% on the sides and I can see fairly well at night. But the darker you go, the sicker it looks , it's just one of those tradeoffs situations. I've seen cars with 5% all around, as well as having the windshield tinted and they look awesome but then you have to deal with issues seeing at night or the cops.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:03 PM

Alot of tints the glue will come off along with the tint if its old enough. If not just use clear amonnia or even windex to get any left over residue. As for tint 5% on the rear is always a good thing. You cant see in if anythings in the rear. Also no need to change your mirrors if some numbnut with brights on is behind you. 20% on the doors and no cop "should" bother you, at least here in Florida anyway. That being said since 1974 Ive has 5% on every car Ive owned and never been stopped here. I did get stopped in NY but the dumbass trooper didnt relise I had Florida plates on my car till he actually got me stopped. He then tried everything he could to give me a ticket for something. Looked everyplace and everyware for something wrong. He ended up giving me a warning for speeding. I was doing 36 in a 35 zone. Jackass