General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Remote doesnt lock doors

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:37 AM

Remote doesnt lock doors

This problem started happening.

I press the lock button on the remote and it doesn't lock the doors. only thing that happens is the light goes on inside the car. unlock works fine. trunk button is spotty. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I just changed the battery and still have the same issues. Any ideas?
Old 05-24-2016, 08:32 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: Remote doesnt lock doors

Check the Courtesy fuse to make sure it is tight in the sockets. If that shows no problem, monitor the voltage at either end of the fuse (or watch the taillights) while you operate the remote. If the voltage drops more than 2 volts (or the taillights dim appreciably), check the fusible link for that circuit. It is one of several at a terminal near the battery.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 05-24-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Check the Courtesy fuse to make sure it is tight in the sockets. If that shows no problem, monitor the voltage at either end of the fuse (or watch the taillights) while you operate the remote. If the voltage drops more than 2 volts (or the taillights dim appreciably), check the fusible link for that circuit. It is one of several at a terminal near the battery.
Where would I find this fuse?
Old 05-24-2016, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by lovemyblackz28
Where would I find this fuse?
Inside of the car left side in dash panel there's a triangular door that has the courtesy fuse
Old 05-26-2016, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by 94Z28LS1toLT1
Inside of the car left side in dash panel there's a triangular door that has the courtesy fuse
I see a whole bunch of fuses. How do I know which one is the courtesy one?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:42 AM

I see a whole bunch of fuses. How do I know which one is the courtesy one?
On the panel u take off there should be a diagram that tells u what fuse is which,n how many amps it needs I.e. like 20,25,15, etc
Old 05-26-2016, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Courtesy fuse #8 supplies power to the dome lamp and the keyless receiver module, and he indicates the dome lamp works. Also indicates the "unlock" function works fine. Is there an alternate source of power that would allow this to happen if the Courtesy fuse was blown or loose?

Seems like it could be a fault in the contacts on the fob, or in the circuit board for the receiver.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Courtesy fuse #8 supplies power to the dome lamp and the keyless receiver module, and he indicates the dome lamp works. Also indicates the "unlock" function works fine. Is there an alternate source of power that would allow this to happen if the Courtesy fuse was blown or loose?

Seems like it could be a fault in the contacts on the fob, or in the circuit board for the receiver.
I changed the batteries in the fob the other day. that didnt seem to correct the problem. last night I opened the fob and figured i would try and bend the contacts a little bit. As soon as i touched the contacts to bend, it just fell off! What do you expect from a 22 year old part Damn, I thought now its totally messed up. I put the contact back where it belonged and closed the fob. Remote still works. Whew.

So your saying touching the fuse wont do anything then?
Old 05-26-2016, 05:29 PM
Administrator

No. I'm just pointing out that I don't understand GaryDoug's post. Hopefully he will explain. As a mechanical engineer I've learned that I don't always understand an electrical engineer when amps and volts are involved .

Since it is so easy to do, check the fuse the way Gary suggested.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:10 PM
Prominent Member

Since he stated that the interior light comes on when he tries to lock but the door lock actuator's don't work, I assumed that the remote is working and the receiver is getting the signal. I thought perhaps the circuit has just enough power to run the unlock operation but not the lock or hatch reliably.

I also assumed that the lock buttons in the doors work ok. Is that true?

The buttons get the power from the Pwr Accy fuse circuit but the keyless entry receiver gets the power from the Courtesy fuse circuit.

I suppose it is possible that a fault in the remote could cause the remote to send the unlock command instead of the lock command. Does the lock button cause any sound in the doors?

Forget what I said about taillights. Watch the dome light with the dome light switched on.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 05-26-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:58 AM

I have been having the same problem for a few years with my keyless system. This has been using a few different remotes. I was buying used ones and decided to just spring for a NOS. Unlock works as it should and the hatch open works but the lock function has always not worked. I can actuate all functions manually so I know the solenoids work. I am thinking its something in the receiver. Who knows? I guess when I get bored I will find a receiver somewhere and see if that fixes the problem. I have looked a short time for some troubleshooting info but have not found it yet.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:40 PM
Prominent Member

Yes it sounds like a problem with a relay inside the receiver. The relays are not easily replaced individually.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:55 PM

I changed the batteries in the fob the other day. that didnt seem to correct the problem. last night I opened the fob and figured i would try and bend the contacts a little bit. As soon as i touched the contacts to bend, it just fell off! What do you expect from a 22 year old part Damn, I thought now its totally messed up. I put the contact back where it belonged and closed the fob. Remote still works. Whew.

So your saying touching the fuse wont do anything then?
I read somewhere years ago it was a good idea to clean the contacts in the fob,so I had nothing to do one morning and and I barely touched one of the contacts and it also fell off.Well,I crazy glued it back on but to no avail.Then I proceeded to brake the other contact.After a few chosen words like $%^&&^#@&()&%$@$,I bought a used on on e-bay and called it a day.So that's what they mean by if it ain't broke,bla bla bla.