General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Quick car wash question

Old 12-15-2017, 08:04 PM

Quick car wash question

So I wanna take my car to car wash and I have read that its kinda sketchy washing camero with the optispark, I am gonna take it to one of the you wash places, I am planning not washing headlight area, but is it dangerous to like spray rocker panels I don' want water to wash up under car and get something wet, any suggestions.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:38 PM

Re: Quick car wash question

You can spray anywhere, as long as you're not aiming at the opti.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Re: Quick car wash question

Some automatic car washes have an optional "under car" spray to remove road salt in the winter. I would avoid that option.

Avoid dripping coolant on the Opti. If you are working on the hoses or using the air vent screws, pack a towel over the Opti to prevent it from getting wet.

In the old days when we actually had a decent amount of traffic on this site, someone would always post saying something like they power washed the engine every week and never had a problem. Pressure washing electronically controlled engines is always risky. Water gets forced into the connectors and electronic components, causing shorts and corroded contacts.

But running an LT1 through a car wash for an external body wash should not be a problem. One problem I'm seeing posted more frequently is leaks at the rear of the hood, where the big weatherstrip has rotted away or come loose. Water pours in on the PCM and the back end of the engine.