General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Question about the Borla

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by TheMT1
I still smile every time I start my car, always seem to forget just how great that sound is.
indeed.

gord's green z28: i've heard cars with some catback, or maybe just a new muffler, and a cutout...and i don't like it as much. maybe its the fact that the cutout is built into the system on borla, instead of just a small branching off with no exhaust tip...i don't know what it is, but i know i like the way borla sounds better than just a cutout off the i-pipe. might be just me.

and about the running open plate/never changing the plate...well, considering the fact that sound, and therefore exhaust, is still coming out the driver side exhaust tip obviously denotes the fact that the muffler is being utilized and still is beneficial as a high flowing muffler.

and so what if the technology of the bypass has been out for a long time. borla makes a quality catback incorporating a high quality/flowing muffler, and a built in cutout, all in a 3" stainless steel catback. if it should be sold for so much less, why isn't any other manufacturer making one for cheaper? kinda like pacesetter headers instead of flp's or something like that. the fact that borla has no competition in that style of catback, then why should they lower the price? and its not like they're selling a cheap piece of sh** for a high price.

the warranty is comforting......what if something besides the muffler wears out? it might not be the muffler that you want to get warranty for on your catback....

so, um......yeah. i love my borla.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:06 PM

another borla owner here. great sound with the middle plate. added the bassani headers and now it's louder. inside the car is pretty mild. http://www.stealthram.com/99formulaexhaust.html
Old 04-08-2004, 02:48 PM

My thoughts on Borla:

Bypassing it: What's the point in buying it if you're going to run the open plate? You're in effect paying $$$ for a non-functional muffler. Or at least mostly. This is where the just buy a cutout argument comes in. Just about everybody runs their Borla wide open.

Closing it: How I'd run it 99% of the time. I want a muffler that actually muffles the sound. I want to get my money's worth out of it by actually using the muffler. Actually I'd probably run the plate with the smallest opening just so it it balances out L/R and still mostly quiet.

Performance/air flow: Obviously it's going to flow better than the competition when you're bypassing the muffler. Seems like cheating to me. Regardless, how much extra HP do various companies offer in their mufflers? Not much.

Running a Borla and an electronic cutout at the same time. Why even bother buying the Borla?

Maybe I've heard too many noisy Borlas over the years. LT's/no cat/open Borla is too nasty to me. Sounds like a Nascar that way. A Borla catback on a stock exhaust system is nice.

Price: Just plain out too high. If you only drive in the summertime like me (no rain, no snow) then you don't need the million mile warranty or T-304 material. I only put about 1500 miles/year on the car. $600 for a Borla is too much for me (actually over $1,100 by the time UPS adds their brokerage charges and exchange rate plus sales tax on the whole thing). $1,100 for a Muffler? No thank you.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Gord's Green Z28
My thoughts on Borla:

Bypassing it: What's the point in buying it if you're going to run the open plate? You're in effect paying $$$ for a non-functional muffler. Or at least mostly. This is where the just buy a cutout argument comes in. Just about everybody runs their Borla wide open.
exhaust does still flow through the muffler, not most of it, but some.

Closing it: How I'd run it 99% of the time. I want a muffler that actually muffles the sound. I want to get my money's worth out of it by actually using the muffler. Actually I'd probably run the plate with the smallest opening just so it it balances out L/R and still mostly quiet.
okay...i understand your personal preference towards the sound which would make you lean away from borla....and that's fine.

Performance/air flow: Obviously it's going to flow better than the competition when you're bypassing the muffler. Seems like cheating to me. Regardless, how much extra HP do various companies offer in their mufflers? Not much.
i think nitrous is cheating. and i don't think that borla really blows the other catbacks out of the water performance wise. again, i love the sound.

Running a Borla and an electronic cutout at the same time. Why even bother buying the Borla?
when i hopefully begin running autox, i might consider an electric cutout to help with a lil more lower end torque.

Maybe I've heard too many noisy Borlas over the years. LT's/no cat/open Borla is too nasty to me. Sounds like a Nascar that way. A Borla catback on a stock exhaust system is nice.
again, sound preference...and there's nothing wrong with that. and i, if i ever do headers....am getting midlengths WITH cats....

Price: Just plain out too high. If you only drive in the summertime like me (no rain, no snow) then you don't need the million mile warranty or T-304 material. I only put about 1500 miles/year on the car. $600 for a Borla is too much for me (actually over $1,100 by the time UPS adds their brokerage charges and exchange rate plus sales tax on the whole thing). $1,100 for a Muffler? No thank you.
got mine from jegs...so no shipping costs. and i've had the car for just under 2 years and have 40,000 miles on the car. it sees a lot of road. so i kinda like the warranty and higher quality steel used.....

Last edited by Lucas Black; 04-08-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by tailwindxr7
99snkklr: You ran a Loudmouth with headers and an ORP? I heard a car with the same setup, and I didn't like it at all. Way too raspy and loud, no refined sound or tone to it, just obnoxious noise. The owner agreed.

I love my Borla. The only exhaust I would even consider other than it in terms of sound is the GMMG. To those that say Borla is overpriced, how do you justify the price of the GMMG, or even the Corsa which I've heard numerous stories of quality issues (broken mufflers and welds?) The Borla is better quality than both, it sounds as good as any other, and it's got the adjustability that no other catback does.

As far as the aluminized vs. stainless deal, come up here to New England during the winter and drive over the salt, sand, and snow in the roads for a couple years and tell me which one lasts longer.
I agree the LM with no cats is a bit raspy and I will be swapping out the resonator but the LM weighs a 1/3 of the Borla's weight. That was my main complaint was how heavy the Borla was. I personally think the SLP Performance Parts Dual Dual is the best catback. With longtube headers and an off-road y-pipe the Dual Dual sounds great. I think the Performance Parts DD has a more aggressive tone and is a bit louder then the factory optional SLP DD on a SS or FIREHAWK.