Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Flowmaster Vs. Borla

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 04:04 PM
JTP

Question Flowmaster Vs. Borla

Hey guys I just got my 95 Trans-Am on Tuesday and I'm loving it! My first mod will be to replace the factory muffler. I was wondering if I should go with a Flowmaster muffler or a Borla. I heard flows tendto die after a couple of years where as Borlas are stainless steel and keep their tone for quite the while. MY car is totally stock, what do you guys think will sound better? Does the borla sound wuss or is it pretty descent? I know the flow will probably sound good right ;-)? Also what series of flows would you reccomend (40, 50 delta etc.)
THANKYOU VERY MUCH FOR ANYONE WHO RESPONDS, this is my first mod and I am very uneducated in the way of Lt-1's.
-Jimmy
Old 07-13-2002, 12:08 AM

Put on your flame jacket bro!! Talk about a polarizing issue. It actually seems to be a class issue, the Borla guys turn their noses up at the "cheaper-lower class" systems. I tell them to bite me. Go to Englishtown and see what alot of muffled race cars use...NOT BORLA!!! Seriously tho the Borla has a very deep, mean sound PLUS you get the added benefit of being able to open it up and basically get a cutout. Plus the durability and fit is top notch. My Flowmaster system fits very poorly but they DID send me the wrong one, it was for a dual cat car. I just made it work for my car so you can't blame Flowmaster. You also bring up sound. Lets see people have differant tastes in music right?? So it would make sense that they have totally differant taste in exhausts huh?? I personally think Borla's sound awesome, but I LOVE the sound of a Flowmaster on an LT1. It has a tinny "racecar" sound that I can't get enough of. Yet alot of guys hate the sound of Flowmasters......I tell them never to listen to a muffled drag car because they either use Flowmasters or Dynomax bullets. Some guys love the loudmouth, a friend brough his LT1 over and with headers the thing sounded horrible to me. Too damn loud and it didn't seem to sound right. But that MY ear, he loved the sound. If price is an issue, get the Flowmaster........if you can afford it get the Borla. Unless your a sick pup like me and love the Flowmaster sound that is........

------------------
'91 Talon AWD- 16g turbo, hacked MAF with K&N, 2.5" custom catback. NEW motor just installed!!!
'95 Camaro Z-28- Flowmaster catback,TB bypass,custom cold air with HUGE K&N. New best times!! 13.92 @ 99.98MPH.not bad for a 2.73 car with free mods huh?
Old 07-13-2002, 02:44 AM

I had flowmaster on a previous Z28 and although it sounded pretty good, it was kinda ugly and I'm sure did nothing for my performance. Are you getting a catback, or just the muffler? If you go with the catback flowmaster is definitely better in price but if you can afford Borla get it, its probably the best exhaust system out there....longevity, sound and power wise. Enjoy your car!

------------------
1997 Z28 M6
Stock dyno #s
253.0rwhp
289.2rwtq
Stock 1/4mile
60'-2.30
1/4-14.3@98mph

New mods-Moroso CAI, 1LE elbow, hurst shifter, panhard rod & LCAs.
Old 07-13-2002, 12:59 PM

I've had a Borla exhaust on 2 of my f-bodies, and I currently have a Hooker on my 95 Formula. I loved my borla on all of my cars when they were stock. As soon as I put long tubes on I HATED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It sounded like 1000 motorcycles drving down the road when I floored it. I heard a lot of the 3" exhausts do this though w/ long tubes. Anyway, with my Hooker system now and Long tubes (also put in a 15" glasspac from Internet Racers Supply) the car sounds really good, but has that Mustang Flow Master sound. I personally love the sound of a Mustangs exhaust so it doesn't bother me.

As far as fitment... My Borlas didn't fit that great and my Hooker fit awesome.

As far as performance...If you have $700 to spend(which is what a borla would cost). I would get a Hooker ($300), K&N cold air(used $125), and some gears with the rest. You'd go from having a 14.2 car with the borla to a 13.8 car with the above. just my $.02

Jason

------------------
Jason Fetter "Stock 95"
1995 Firebird Formula
O'ring/4bolt 383, GTP Race Ported AFR 210s, Yank TH400, Yank 3800 Stall, Trans Break, Moser 12 Bolt w/ 3.73s, and the usual stuff like Hooker Long Tubes, 58mm TB, Sphon Torque Arm, etc....

[This message has been edited by Wicked (edited July 13, 2002).]
Old 07-13-2002, 03:35 PM

Go Borla cat-back, you wont go back! That is, if you are still in the market for just an exhaust. The other guys idea is good also! Have fun with the car.

------------------
`96 TransAm: RamAir w/ K&N filter, 125hp Zex dry kit, 3.73 gears, McLeod StreetTwin clutch, Borla cat-back, 1le alum. driveshaft, B&M shifter, Walbro in-line fuel booster pump, Granatelli MAF, 52mm TB w/Airfoil and coolent bypass, LT4 KM + programmed computer, Accel 8.8 race wires, Zex Hyperformance plugs, MSD Univ. Adj. timing, Window switch, Sport-comp Nitrous, Boost, Fuel pressure gauges in center 3 vents and Air/Fuel gauge on A-pillar pod, Mobil 1 only, !CAGS, Yokohama tires, tinted windows.

Low 13's on motor.
Low 12's on bottle.
"Lots of throttle and a backup bottle"
Old 07-14-2002, 07:46 AM

I put together an exahust comparison page at www.geocities.com/camarosounds/4thgenexhaust.html

It's Geo$hitties so just wait a while if you get the old "over data transmission limits" message.....just goes to show you "nothing's free:

Marc

------------------
94 Z/28, 383 D-1

Marc's Blown 94 Z/28 "Want it, Have it, Have it, Want it"
Old 07-15-2002, 09:02 AM

The Flowmaster won't offer nearly as much HP gain as the Borla. Sounds good though IMO.

------------------
'99 Z28 M6

Mufflex 4" w/ Spintech muffler, SLP air lid, K&N, FRA, EGR mod, TB Bypass, Port/descreen MAF, NX N2O, BMR APHR, Metco LCAs/brackets, Mcleod ST, Mcleod aluminum FW, Mcleod/GM clutch hydroulics, Moser 12 Bolt/3.73s, BMR XTreme TA, BMR front & rear sways, ACPT CF DS, BMR STB, SLP Bilsteins, Eibach Sportlines, gutted cats, Fernco, Taylor 409s, BMR tubular SFCs, Nitto 555r's, etc.....

Other mods/Info: Click here!
Best Time: 13.3691 @ 106mph (no N2O)
60ft: 2.12
AOL IM: Bubblesnaps
Old 07-15-2002, 11:49 AM

get the flowmaster 80 series muffler mean tough sound. . .you wont regret it!
Old 07-19-2002, 10:54 PM

Borla, yeah it costs more but IMO you get more. As was said earlier its adjustable, plus it FLOWS way better than the flowmeiser, IMO sounds and looks better.
my .02

------------------
//BLACK 99 SS//M-6//T-Top//TR 224/224 .561/.561 112LSA//CNC Stage 2 Heads 2.08"Intake-1.60" Exhaust Valves//Volant Cold Air Induction//BBK 80mm Throttle Body//SLP Stage 1 Suspension Kit// Powerslut Rotors//Hawk Pads//Mosser 12 bolt-4.10 Gears//SPEC Stage 3 Clutch//ASP Underdrive Pulley//Lingenfelter Aluminum Driveshaft//BMR Sway Bars-Lower Controll Arms-Panhard Rod-Track Pak-Strut Tower Brace//Taylor Wires-NGK plugs//HPP 3-160 Stat//Skip Shift Eliminator//B&M Ripper Shifter//SLP LT Headers-SLP ORY No Cats//Borla Cat Back//Dynomax Bullit//ECT...
Old 07-20-2002, 05:57 AM

I for one love my borla, but then again i have an LS1 which sounds totaly different. On the other hand I bought my borla b/c of how many LT1's i saw with the kit. Very deep throaty tone, not as much wine at high rpm's. I have heard the borla on an LT1 with H/c package, another with an ATI 6# blower (at least till he blew a head gasket, very loud with mid-length headers and orp and smaller plate) and then on a stock car. Personly the stock one sounded the best, very deep. I have heard Flow's on LT1's and the sound is like night and day, very poppy, chamber design rather than strait through, which gives you a coffee can effect. If you plan on geting headers, flows will be very poppy. For example in a 96 LT1 with heads and cam. When he drives away and decelerates it pops like a madman. Then again with ORP you are going to get that. But I loved the borla on the LT1 and it is one of the reasons it's on my 02.

------------------
'02 Red Z28, ebony leather, M6, T-tops, Trac. cont., hurst shifter
-Borla (the expensive cut-out)
-Wisperlid W/K&N
-FRA
-Cags eliminator
-Strange 4.10's
-G2 Rear Girdle
-Valv. Synthetic 10W-30
-Redline gear oil
-Fat hurst shift ****
-Lead foot
Soon to be:
Alpine Screen, Orion xtr 800.4, xtr 900.2, Kicker 12L7 in a milhouse, Focal polykev K2's.
Old 07-20-2002, 04:56 PM

im about to get borla on a 3.8L will is sound good, i kno nothing like a v8 but... will it still sound good??

thx
cory

------------------
- 1998 Black Camaro A4 -
3800 Series II V6

K&N Filter

AOL/AIM: Binkyboy88
This is my AIM buddy icon:
http://www.angelfire.com/nb/corycamaro
Old 07-20-2002, 08:24 PM

If you have the money, do it, you can always sell it. I think it will sound good, b/c i just hate that coffee can effect.

------------------
'02 Red Z28, ebony leather, M6, T-tops, Trac. cont., hurst shifter
Borla (the expensive cut-out), Wisperlid W/K&N, FRA, Cags eliminator, Strange 4.10's, G2 Rear Girdle, Valv. Synthetic 10W-30, Redline gear oil, Fat hurst shift ****, Lead foot

Soon to be:
Alpine Screen, Orion xtr 800.4, xtrpro 1000, Kicker 12L7 in a milhouse, Focal polykev K2's, Focal utopia 6" audiom midrange.