General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Question about the Borla

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 11:12 AM
BMJ

Question about the Borla

Four interchangeable plates come with the system which allow you to adjust noise and performance levels. Using the solid plate diverts all of the exhaust through the muffler (quietest setting) The other plates have holes of various diameters, ranging from 2 1/2" down to 1 1/2". Refraining from using any plate at all results in a straight-through, free-flow exhaust which can easily be converted back to street-legal in a matter of seconds
thats from thunderracing under the borla exaust.. how hard are these "plates" to change? i am assuming they get hot? i wouldnt be intrested in a cut out so is this anything like it? i tried looking on the net for pics ect no info

thanks
bmj
Old 04-05-2004, 12:39 PM

Its the $600 cutout..

So if you dont want a cutout, look at another exhaust.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:30 PM

its just three bolts to interchange the plates -- not hard.

and yes, borla is a catback exhaust with a built-in cutout....and larger diameter piping, high flowing muffler, and built out of stainless steel.....

i've never thought it was too loud, always loved the sound...but my car is basically stock, so i don't really have anything on the car that would make a lot of noise....besides the v8
Old 04-05-2004, 02:38 PM

I recently installed my Borla because I'm about to get headers and the LoudMouth wasn't gonna cut it.
My problem with Borla is that the sound only comes from one side of the pipes. The driver side is the muffler, and the passenger side is the cut out. So when you're behind the car, it doesn't sound even at all. Needless to say I'm a little upset about Borla.

Chris
Old 04-05-2004, 02:51 PM

I love my Borla...put a QTEC cutout motor in the right side so I don't have to change the plates. I don't agree with the whole "unbalanced" issue mentioned above unless the right side is closed off. Maybe it's because I did the !cats mod and mine's too loud to notice.?. Either way, I love the way it sounds and get compliments all the time...would recommend it to anyone.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by SSpdDmon
I love my Borla...put a QTEC cutout motor in the right side so I don't have to change the plates. I don't agree with the whole "unbalanced" issue mentioned above unless the right side is closed off. Maybe it's because I did the !cats mod and mine's too loud to notice.?. Either way, I love the way it sounds and get compliments all the time...would recommend it to anyone.
i will admit that under scrutiny the right side could be louder...but overall, i never feel like i'm just listening to one side...
Old 04-05-2004, 09:02 PM

I have borla and the sound without question comes out one side ( the passenger side) louder than the other.. but I mean its not anything annoying or too noticeable. Its so loud you can't really notice unless u get up on it.. Anyway.. I wouldn't go with any other exhaust setup performance and sound are good overall.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:16 PM

if you are looking for exhaust there are several sites out there with sound clips to help you decide..

I personally dont want loud and have been searching for a cadillac muffler that rumor has it will allow me to remain even quieter than I am now and still flow a tad bit more.. heheh

considering I can run low 13@108 on a bone stock car.. its hella fun to be sneaky..

If I were you, I would look at Corsa or B&B Tri flo..

Do not look at Stainless Steel as any benefit or reason to get the exhaust..
Stainless steel will become brittle over time and will fall apart way before aluminized steel (what most other exhausts that cost less than $400 are made of) will.. The only downside is that aluminized steel wont stay pretty for as long.. but last I checked only me and mechanics get under my car so no need for anything pretty, just functional..
Old 04-05-2004, 11:34 PM

BTW borla comes with a 1 milllion mile warranty
I have the cats "mod" and the middle plate, sounds just amazing. Love it.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by psychocabbage
if you are looking for exhaust there are several sites out there with sound clips to help you decide..

I personally dont want loud and have been searching for a cadillac muffler that rumor has it will allow me to remain even quieter than I am now and still flow a tad bit more.. heheh

considering I can run low 13@108 on a bone stock car.. its hella fun to be sneaky..

If I were you, I would look at Corsa or B&B Tri flo..

Do not look at Stainless Steel as any benefit or reason to get the exhaust..
Stainless steel will become brittle over time and will fall apart way before aluminized steel (what most other exhausts that cost less than $400 are made of) will.. The only downside is that aluminized steel wont stay pretty for as long.. but last I checked only me and mechanics get under my car so no need for anything pretty, just functional..

corsa is nice tips for 700 dollars....and just like any other catback.
and yeah, borla's warranty makes me not mind whatever the fk the piping is made out of. and i'm not saying stainless steel was some sort of massive benefit, like it keeps exhaust temps down 20 degrees or something like that.....
if i didn't get borla, i probably would have just gotten a hooker catback....
Old 04-06-2004, 09:17 AM

I love the sound of my borla. I run longtube headers with an off road Y back to an open plated borla. Sounds wicked and yes, there is a noticable difference in sound from each tailpipe. Thats something you'll only notice when standing right behind the car. Personally, it doesn't bother me at all because it sounds badass.

I would stay away from the Corsa, to many people have quality issues with that thing. Conciencedently my buddy just ripped his off yesterday because the factory welds on it broke for the 4th time.

Check out this site and decide for yourself
www.ls1sounds.com
Old 04-06-2004, 12:23 PM
BMJ

so removing the plates is just for sound or sound and proformance
Old 04-06-2004, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by BMJ
so removing the plates is just for sound or sound and proformance
It will help with both, and BTW we love our Borla. SLP lontubes, Random tech catted y-pipe(also SLP) and Borla open.

Chris
Old 04-06-2004, 12:50 PM

Yea definately run the borla with no plates.. best sound by far.
Unless u want to be a "sleeper" but hey I figure if my car's a beast y not advertise it.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:16 PM

A while back i saw where i guy dyno'd his car with each plate and there was practically no difference at between all of them. Its such a great flowing muffler in the first place that whatever plate you have in isn't going to effect performance. Its all about sound.

Quick Reply: Question about the Borla