General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Proper Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Proper Winter Storage

Does any one know the proper way to store a car for the winter.
By looking on the internet and talking to people you hear so many
different ways. There is no way I'm going to be driving this beast in
the winter so I better get some info on this subject now! Thanks!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:27 PM

Smile

Yea...don't be a cheapskate! (just being sarcastic). Go out and spend $500 on a vented type natural gas heater for your garage and keep it at 45-50 degrees. It will keep the moisture out of the concrete, won't dry the car out too much, and will keep your tools from rusting in the spring when the warm weather (normally) causes condensation on them. And to make it really efficient...go to your nearest Target store and buy a cheap ceiling fan for $39.00. I keep it on "low" setting all winter and let it run....everything stays like new. Its been running for 10 years now. If you want to heat the garage up warmer to work on something just turn up the thermostat.
Just make sure your garage is insulated and it won't cost squat to run a 20,000 BTU furnace at that temp. You can find them on EBay if you cant find one used locally. I used a ceiling mount type to save space. If your garage door is not insulated buy a bunch of good insulating type styrofoam sheets at Home Depot and cut them to fit the garage door. Use the right glue to stick it to the door. If you can close up the big door for the winter cover the whole door wall to wall it with clear plastic on the inside...that will really reduce your heat loss and infiltration of cold air. I had my builder install an insulated door when the home was built. I came in on the weekend and insulated the walls before the drywall went up, and I insulated the ceiling insulation after I moved in. I heat the garage for less than $25 a month at 50 degrees.
Its well worth it to do all this, and its cheaper than paying for heated storage after the first two years. Its much better for your tools and it gives you the added ability of using your garage for little get togethers too. If the garage is attached to the house you can set up the buffet table out there when you have big family get togethers. It makes it much easier to clean up the house after thanksgiving dinner.
Once you have had a heated garage for one winter you will wonder how you ever lived without it. No matter how much work it is you will never regret it....and by the way...my Top Dog will sleep warmer than your Top Dog!

Last edited by detroitboy; 03-07-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: to add a line
Old 03-07-2008, 08:28 PM

I usually adjust tire pressure, change the oil, top off the gas tank, add a fuel stabilizer (Stabil), and put a car cover over it.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:32 PM

Remember to run the engine with the stabilizer in the tank to get the fuel in the fuel lines treated.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

How long are you storing your car? If it's less than 3 months, just top off the gas tank and park it somewhere with some shelter. No need for fuel stabilizer or anything else like that.

If you can keep it warm like detroitboy described, that's good for it too. Hopefully, I'm going to be replacing my garage doors and windows with insulated ones sometime this summer.

Originally Posted by detroitboy
I insulated the ceiling insulation
Oh really?
Old 03-08-2008, 02:29 PM

Gee, it's only a few weeks until spring! Do you live in the southern hemisphere?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 AM

Winter?

Question. I live in memphis,TN and we don't get harsh winters,bad winters, its really not even winter. but anyway, its just cold wind, and I doubt that i'm really going to "store" my baby for about 3 to 4 months. I do have a daily driver, but the urge will just be too strong to leave it sitting there all that time. So back to my question, should I drive it in the "winter" or let it sit?

Btw it'll be a V8.

I might trade it in when the vert comes out but I'll have to wait and c what the top will look like.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 AM

3 or 4 months is not really much. It would not hurt to use some gas stabilzer, but you really don't have to do much for that short of a period. Drive it or let it sit. Your choice. If driven, make sure it get fully warmed up before parking it again.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

One of the hardest things you can do to your car is drive it once a week or less. When it sits, all of the oil drains off the top end of the engine and into the oil pan. When it's been sitting for more than a few days, the top end is basically dry. The next start is going to involve a bit of extra wear and tear on your parts before oil pressure builds up.

Doing that once causes minimal damage, but if you do it frequently, over time you might start seeing issues like blowby or worn cam lobes (unlikely on a modern engine with roller lifters).

One way you can compensate for this problem is with an oil accumulator like the AccuSump. It stores pressurized engine oil, and releases the oil into the engine when you push a button. That way you can lubricate your top end without starting the engine, which prevents most of the wear and tear I'm describing.

If you think you'd drive it more than once a week consistently, then there's absolutely no reason not to drive it. You might want to consider a dedicated set of tires -- even when the roads are clear, summer tires get extremely hard during the winter months and you sacrifice a lot in the traction department. A set of snow tires will serve you better, and you'll have some peace of mind if it actually does snow.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
One of the hardest things you can do to your car is drive it once a week or less.
yep...and unfortunately, that's what I do. In college so, food shopping on weekends is basically it.... car's too far away to drive more frequently for the hell of it without wasting another half hour...