General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

power window all goofy!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 02:22 PM

power window all goofy!!

the window will roll half way up then stop, if i wait a minute, it will roll up another 2 inches or so, it acts like it is tripping a breaker, then resetting automatically, do these motors have some sort of safety switch that resets if the motor gets too hot?
Old 11-08-2004, 02:46 PM

Re: power window all goofy!!

Most likely, your motor is crapping out on you. get the window up and leave it there until you get a new one. Pretty soon it will just stop all together. I put a new one in from Autozone 2 years ago and it is still working fine.

Do a search, there is a step by step on how to replace it some where on this site. Some one else help here and point him the right direction.

But yes, the motor does stop working when it gets too hot. Once it cools down a little, it will work again for little bit.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:37 PM

Yup Joe pretty much sumed it all up. You might want to get a new one from jason cromer.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:47 PM

I would second getting one from Autozone. I've replaced both of mine years ago and they are still working fine. Also autozone gives you the lifetime warranty which you will probably need as even GM Fbody motors don't last.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:45 PM

Yea you need a new motor. the reason it will go up after a second or two is that it recharges some power, but it is definitely going bad.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:28 PM

just looked at the power window motor, really looks like the same one that was in my 84z, wonder if gm ever heard of technology advancement.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by wblocker
just looked at the power window motor, really looks like the same one that was in my 84z, wonder if gm ever heard of technology advancement.
technology advancement = more more money

we all know how GM likes to save money every chance they get even if it means getting lower quality products.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:36 AM

If you notice the motor has like 20 holes on it, I bet this motor is used on almost every GM car from 1980 on . Thats why it is 40 bucks at autozone.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:18 AM

check out the install guide at shoebox's website. Took me 45 min start to end. Hardest part is installing the new bolts in place of the rivets, but even that was like 5-8 mins for the hardest bolt. It's a piece of cake with his directions!
Old 11-09-2004, 11:12 AM

I don't want to rob this thread but I had a problem when I tried installing my passenger side motor. I follow Shoebox's guide and it was real easy to do. I drilled the old rivets, removed the old motor and installed the new motor with the new hardware. Now, I'm positive the gear on the motor was lined up with that gear looking piece, can't remember the name. No the problem is that when I try to raise the window it a sound like the gear isn't catching and the motor just sops working an i have to remove the motor for it to start moving again. I put the old motor back in and that doesn't give all slipping noise. What could be causing this?
Old 11-09-2004, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by SantaCruz163
I don't want to rob this thread but I had a problem when I tried installing my passenger side motor. I follow Shoebox's guide and it was real easy to do. I drilled the old rivets, removed the old motor and installed the new motor with the new hardware. Now, I'm positive the gear on the motor was lined up with that gear looking piece, can't remember the name. No the problem is that when I try to raise the window it a sound like the gear isn't catching and the motor just sops working an i have to remove the motor for it to start moving again. I put the old motor back in and that doesn't give all slipping noise. What could be causing this?
could have just gotten a bad motor, wouldn't be the first time. Could also be the track binding up, did you lube/grease it at all when you replaced the motor? If not, I would get some white lithium grease and lube the track up, it will speed things up some as well.