General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Paint question (hope this is the right place)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 02:01 PM

Paint question (hope this is the right place)

I've done as much searching as I can. I recently purchased a 2000 SS. Car is low mileage and perry clean. However there is a couple issues with the paint. The worst is the paint on the hood is cracking or bubbling around the scoop. The hood is the original factory ss hood. I don't believe the car has been repainted but j am not sure. The other issue on the hood and as wel the rear spoiler there are some bubbles that are forming. I'm wondering if this is just the paint being old? Would it be a matter of
Getting it sanded and prepped for a repaint? Or could there be a issue with material used? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:10 PM

Re: Paint question (hope this is the right place)

Trying to add pictures. Attachment 1597.
Attachment 1598
Old 05-29-2016, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Correct place, but not a lot of traffic on this forum.

The bubbling problem generally appears on the composite plastic roof panel, on later 4th Gens. That is caused by GM eliminating the sealant on the bottom of the composite panel, and then gluing the panel to the metal chassis structure. The glue leaches through the composite and bubbles the paint. It can't be fixed, except by fully replacing the roof panel.

But it's hard to see a similar problem with the SS hood and spoiler.... no reason to apply glue???? And I can't recall any SS owner reporting a similar problem.

I'm going to suggest that I copy this thread to "General 67-02 F-Body Tech" where it will get more exposure. I can leave the original thread here as well.

OK?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Correct place, but not a lot of traffic on this forum.

The bubbling problem generally appears on the composite plastic roof panel, on later 4th Gens. That is caused by GM eliminating the sealant on the bottom of the composite panel, and then gluing the panel to the metal chassis structure. The glue leaches through the composite and bubbles the paint. It can't be fixed, except by fully replacing the roof panel.

But it's hard to see a similar problem with the SS hood and spoiler.... no reason to apply glue???? And I can't recall any SS owner reporting a similar problem.

I'm going to suggest that I copy this thread to "General 67-02 F-Body Tech" where it will get more exposure. I can leave the original thread here as well.

OK?

Thanks for the reply, yeah moving it would be great!