General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 08:49 PM

Oil leak

I have a oil leak coming from my front timing cover somewhere.
I changed all the front front seals to no success so I guess it the timing cover its self I cleaned the oil pan spot less and it still is so I know that's not leaking. The oil collects on a metal line that runs along the bottom of the timing cover I think it's for an engine cooler or something. When I changed the seals I didn't see any places on the cover that was noticeably covered in oil.
Any ways I have thrown a bottle of bar rear main seal in it about 300 miles ago and the oil leak has slowed. It was only two drops a night and now it's one drop a night. Show I bother fixing this right now or just keep throwing oil additives at like blue devil stuff next time I do an oil change. What would y'all do...
PS is 30 psi oil pressure while hot at 180 degrees normal I use 20w50 oil in all my cars and this Camaro. And cruising at 70 at 1.5krpm oil pressure is 40-45.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2017, 10:45 PM

Re: Oil leak

Maybe I put the water pump drive seal on wrong?
I used a sharpie that was cut to put it on. But it's more than likely just the timing cover itself.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:06 AM
Administrator

What year is the car? How many miles? Water pump shaft seal is very hard to install successfully. Timing cover gasket seldom leaks.

Totally stock LT1? Only a heavily modified LT1 would possibly need 20W-50 oil, and then only if the engine builder recommended it.

There is a silver metal line, about 3/8" diameter the wraps under the timing cover and runs from the AIR pump to the AIR check valve on the passenger side exhaust manifold (94-97 only).
Old 04-06-2017, 07:14 AM

Car is a 94 100k miles. It's modified but not heavily it's just a personal thing I guess using 20w50 that's what I have used in my Corvette and belair ever since I've owned them. If my next oil change with blue devil oil leak stopper doesn't fix the issue I'll tear apart the front of the car again to see what's going on. Last time I changed the opti it was leaking but I didn't see any oil behind the opti at all.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What year is the car? How many miles? Water pump shaft seal is very hard to install successfully. Timing cover gasket seldom leaks.

Totally stock LT1? Only a heavily modified LT1 would possibly need 20W-50 oil, and then only if the engine builder recommended it.

There is a silver metal line, about 3/8" diameter the wraps under the timing cover and runs from the AIR pump to The AIR check valve on the passenger side exhaust manifold (94-97 only).
My question is can I change the seal with the opti still on there
I don't want to go through all the trouble of taking the opti off again since I have underived pulleys and my pulley is attached to the hub so it a pain to take off.

If I can change it with the opti in place I'll buy the install tool instead of my jagged sharpie I cut.

If I have to remove the opti I'll go electric water pump and JB weld the whole shut with a quarter or a freeze plug.