General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Oh how i love the Maintenance of a Lt1 :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:58 PM

Oh how i love the Maintenance of a Lt1 :)

Hey guns.. Everything in arizona is again HOT- Car is doing ok.. Except some slight maintenance issues..

What i thought was only a crank seal going bad turned out to be also intake seals .. So my poor girl is leaking from EVERYWHERE.... Fun fact: Dropping the tranny on her to get to them....

Also- My car started to get warm ( I thought ) - So i had it heat gunned and had a good mechanic check the core temp on the CPU.. Turns out the CPU temp was only a few degrees off of the actual heat gun- coming to the conclusion my wonderful temperature gauge went out.. After a bit of research and scratching my head - It's a "Spring" that goes out on these causing to retract all the way at a certain temperature?? What a pain! I guess with parts and labor im looking at like 100 bucks tops on this thing..

So after looking at the list of little things and replacing them all - I have "pondered" going with a bigger block with some better internals just for ****s and giggles.. Pouring all this money the last couple years into a mostly stock 350 LT1 makes me wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze..

I pretty much "have to" go with the high stall torque converter if im dropping the tranny - but I have been watching something on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302025139943?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
This guy has been selling these motors on ebay.. I'm sure at least a couple of people on this forum have ran into "HERB" or talked to him at some point.. Any comments or suggestions about this guy? Positive: I sell/ship stuff all over the world so my freight cost would be very reasonable and I could get it to my mechanic for only a couple hundred bucks..

Lemme know what ya guys think.. Thanks -Eric
Old 07-28-2016, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Re: Oh how i love the Maintenance of a Lt1 :)

Eagle cast crank reviews:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...uch-hp-858600/
Old 07-28-2016, 11:45 PM

Your the man INjuneer !!!

I hadn't really had any time sadly to do quality research yet.. It was a motor i had saved on my watch list for awhile.. so long in fact i had to refind it on ebay as the "watch" feature reset on it..

So, on this build if i have him switch the cam and what not what do you think of the setup? As I read the other post you linked I have come to the sad conclusion - I was going for a cheap and easy Buy, Ship, Install setup.. But. I was definitely going to go with upgrade options (noted with that eagle crank etc) so that would not have worked !!

I'm going to send this guy a message and see what he thinks about the eagle crank and ask him why he offers them being ASE certified with years of experiened and all

Thanks -Eric
Old 07-28-2016, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Do a search on the web. I've seen a couple negative threads on the builder on other sites, but that's just hearsay.... I have no personal experience.

Do a search on here for "herb", including threads from "any date". A few threads show up. Traffic on this site are way down from what it used to be, so the chances of finding active members with experience with the builder may be limited.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:59 AM

Thanks for your sound advice man.. I'm going to have to take my time and research some threads on builds and talk to some people on here - I'm glad I came here first before making any quick decisions.. I have been so busy with work and life that my project car hasn't had any love. Time to change that, do research, read, talk and make a informed decision.. I knew not to dive into anything before consulting the z28 bible (forum). I'm grateful I didn't fall in the category of people that buy, build and voice their pain on here.. This forum is a plethora of information for me to avoid that !