General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

LT1 will sometimes not start right away.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:00 AM

LT1 will sometimes not start right away.

Very weird problem.

I've been hearing a noise in the valves on the driver's side. I opened the cover the other day and snugged them up, and they stopped making noise. However, the noise came back louder than ever all of a sudden. Now, I have driven it now like this for a week or two without any starting or running problems.

BUT... Tonight, I raced a Corvette. I was running decently hard, and even bounced off the rev limiter a few times. When I got home, I shut it off and parked it in front of the garage until I came back out to pull it in. I came back out 20 minutes later to pull it in, get in, turn the key shortly like I usually do, it cranks, chugs and stops. I then hold the key a bit longer, it turns over a few times, chugs, and stops. I then hold the key for about 3 seconds, and it starts but chugs a couple times first. Here's the kicker though - it isn't always hard to start. I just went out a minute ago and used my remote start on it (the remote starter only cranks for about 1 second then stops) and it fired right up without a problem. But I turned it off and tried again and it would NOT start with the remote (because like I said it only allows it to crank for 1 second at a time).

As far as I know there are no problems with the performance of the car EXCEPT the fact that it will every once and a while bounce on the rev limiter before shifting in both "drive" and "overdrive". (It's an A4.)

Any ideas? I just had the opti replaced by GM a couple of months ago. This kind of reminds me of what it did the night before the opti went, but I don't see much of a possibility for it to be that so soon.

EDIT

More details. The first time you start it, it usually starts right up. Even if you drive it, turn it off and start it back up it starts. However, if you turn it off and try to start it AGAIN, it doesn't want to.

It also has no performance loss. It's 1:30 in the morning here, all of the roads are empty, and I just took it screaming down the main highway. There's a gas station a bit over 1/8th of a mile from a stoplight, and to accurately check performance I always see what speed I get to by the time I get to the station. It was the same as it always is, so that's a more accurate check that "it feels slower or faster".

Last edited by jeff_is_sexy; 03-07-2007 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by jeff_is_sexy
EDIT
so that's a more accurate check that "it feels slower or faster".
thinking fuel mixture at idel?? I'd start with a full on tune up if you haven't done so latley as it can't hurt...

Last edited by smithtim; 03-08-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:56 PM

Could an exhaust manifold leak cause it?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:35 AM

Pics

I took the valve covers off... WTF is this?

Old 03-08-2007, 09:42 AM

i do believe thats a mixature of antifreeze/water with oil...corect me if iam wrong but i dont think thats good!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 94_camm
i do believe thats a mixature of antifreeze/water with oil...corect me if iam wrong but i dont think thats good!
yeah sorry to say it but it does have that look but at least you caught it early before any bad damage was done... I'd drain the oil out of the bottom of the car into a clear container and look at it to see if it's got the collant smell / look to it...if so then we know which gasket

was it like that on both sides or just one?

Last edited by smithtim; 03-08-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:40 AM

That doesn't look good, looks like a mixture of coolant/oil.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:14 PM

Both sides.

I'll say that I have been doing only 1.5 mile trips every day for the last 10 days or so, four trips per day. I was told by an oil change place that sometimes moisture builds up and if you don't let the engine get to operating temperature and stay there long enough that sludge will build up.

I'm changing the oil in an hour or so so I'll get pics of it too if it looks weird.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:09 PM

Oil, filter and drainplug were all clean.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:07 PM

Does it mean your head gasket is shot?? Or the motor? That's what happens when you beat the **** outta your car. And the main reason why I baby mine...this sucks dude
Old 03-08-2007, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by 95Z28LT1-PA
Does it mean your head gasket is shot?? Or the motor? That's what happens when you beat the **** outta your car. And the main reason why I baby mine...this sucks dude

LOL. I beat the CRAP out of my car and it is still running better than ever at 147k miles. Just take care of it and do regular maintenance and you'll be fine no matter how you drive it.

BTW. Mine has been really hard to start lately when its warm. It cranks right up everytime when the car is cold though. I haven't looked into what the problem is yet.

Last edited by Amped96; 03-09-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by jeff_is_sexy
Oil, filter and drainplug were all clean.
If there is no collant in your oil that you drained out I'd say maybee there is a possibility that mositure has built up inside of your valve covers like metioned above (think thats kind of rare though.. maybee if stored outside and lot of mositure in the air??) so I'd start by swappign the valve covers seals as they are preety easy and don't cost that much.. then closely monitor what happens and see if that cleans it up... just monitor it real close as you don't want to risk it

of course if you have time and money it can't hurt to swap all the potential gaskets ( intake & cyl head )