General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Lt1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 08:19 PM

Lt1 swap

Ok jus bought a 93 lt1 to put into my 95 trans am...been working on sbc my whole life but these gen 2 lt1 is new to me. PLEASE tell me everything i gptta do to make the swap and please clarify the whole opti spark thing can i jus put the 95 timing cover on n go??? Please help wanna start this in 5 days
Old 06-11-2017, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Re: Lt1 swap

Major differences between the 93 LT1 and all the later (94-97) years. You have to keep your 95 PCM (computer) and wiring harness.

- no MAF on a 93, have to keep your 95 MAF sensor and ducting connectors.

- 93 has batch-fire injection, 95 has full sequential. Use your 95 intake manifold and fuel rails. 95 rails are designed for sequential injection, keep the fuel supply and return connections in the same location, will not fit in 93 intake manifold.

- Need to use your 95 throttle body. 93 throttle body has a different IAC connector and attachment. If you have an auto trans (not stated) you don't need the connection for the TV cable on the 93 throrrle body.

- 93 AIR pump is bolted to the front subframe, 95 is bolted to front of engine.

- 93 tach is driven off the coil, through a filter. 95 tach is driven off PCM. Doesn't need the filter (delete)

- with a 93 engine, you are stuck with an unvented Opti, with a different harness connector than the vented unit on the 95. Replacement harness is available, to use the 93 unvented Opti. To use a 95 vented Opti, you need a 95-97 camshaft, 95-97 timing set, 95 timing cover. For details, Shoebox has a list, most of which can come from your 95:

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

Long list - Shoebox has a detailed list of differences:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_f-body_ye...onversions.pdf

Last edited by Injuneer; 06-11-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:18 PM

Re: Lt1 swap

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Major differences between the 93 LT1 and all the later (94-97) years. You have to keep your 95 PCM (computer) and wiring harness.

- no MAF on a 93, have to keep your 95 MAF sensor and ducting connectors.

- 93 has batch-fire injection, 95 has full sequential. Use your 95 intake manifold and fuel rails. 95 rails are designed for sequential injection, keep the fuel supply and return connections in the same location, will not fit in 93 intake manifold.

- Need to use your 95 throttle body. 93 throttle body has a different IAC connector and attachment. If you have an auto trans (not stated) you don't need the connection for the TV cable on the 93 throrrle body.

- 93 AIR pump is bolted to the front subframe, 95 is bolted to front of engine.

- 93 tach is driven off the coil, through a filter. 95 tach is driven off PCM. Doesn't need the filter (delete)

- with a 93 engine, you are stuck with an unvented Opti, with a different harness connector than the vented unit on the 95. Replacement harness is available, to use the 93 unvented Opti. To use a 95 vented Opti, you need a 95-97 camshaft, 95-97 timing set, 95 timing cover. For details, Shoebox has a list, most of which can come from your 95:

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

Long list - Shoebox has a detailed list of differences:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_f-body_ye...onversions.pdf
Oh wow Fred i didn't realize there was that much a difference in the 93 yr in the lt1 engine. Amazing stuff brother