General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

installing trans temp gauge...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:27 AM

done! haha all the interior panels are back on.. gauge works.. no leaks.. all my lights work. but for some reason i cant find my jack so i didnt put the trunk piece back on.. but im already for inspection tomorrow. Thank you everyone for the help. Now i have to clean my room, the fun never stops
Old 12-29-2006, 12:28 AM

P.S. I only ended up with two extra screws haha
Old 12-29-2006, 04:44 AM
01Z

Post some pictures of your gauge and hook-up please.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:10 AM

there it is. the gauge is gonna sit back a little further. I have it in the vent holder with the snaps on the sides so it snaps in place.. i just havent pushed it in yet
Old 12-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Did you stuff a piece of foam rubber into the vent behind the gauge? It keeps the cold air from hitting the gauge and causing moisture to condense on the glass.

Put some corrugated plastic covering over the wire to protect it. Tie it to something so it can't get caught in the belt.

Why didn't you get the 2-5/8" gauge so it would fill the vent hole?

The sensor install looks really good. You did it correctly by inserting the sensor in the side of the "tee", and not forcing the main line to make the two 90-degree bends.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:19 AM

i didnt stuff anything behind the gauge yet... I finished at like 1 am last night and took the car in for inspection today. So when i get it back ill put something back there.

I have the wire tied up a little bit but i am going to go over it again and make sure its perfect.. again time really was a factor

I got the gauge for christmas so it wasnt really my choice of size.. but it fits nicely in the little circular thing that holds the vent fins.. this then "snaps" into place in the vent.. i liked the idea because it really holds it in there nicely. It isnt pushed in in that picture.

thanks for the help
Old 12-29-2006, 09:52 AM
01Z

Are you sure you tapped into the correct (hot side) line? It looks like you're on the return side but I'm not sure. The connection looks real nice.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:15 AM

it is the return line.. there was like no place to put the T-fitting on the hot line.. the only place that I could have physically cut and put something there was the rubber line.. im sorry I failed you. No matter tho i figure its still a good reading because i know what is going into the tranny right? and on my way to the shop today temps didnt reach over 120 i believe (biiiggg ol cooler)
Old 12-29-2006, 04:25 PM

i thought it was over.... so im riding today.. car reads around 160 degrees on the gauge.. gets dark.. turn on light.. zoom instantly 260 degrees and the light on the gauge didnt work either.. I hate this ****ing light thing its been the problem the entire time...back to working on it tomorrow

Last edited by nodnarb481; 12-29-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Inside the square opening is a thin, 1/4" wide blade (aka "spade lug"). You want to connect a wire to that blade. The way you do that is to get a 1/4" male quick connect connctor at Radio Shack, and crimp it onto the end for the wire you want to connect. You don't have to pull the dash, search for wires, etc.

I think you mean Female here. It has to slide over the male spade.

I see it's done sorry didn't read the whole thread, good job looks nice.

Last edited by IROC-T; 12-29-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:40 PM

i bought female ones but it didnt look like the female was going to fit and i tried putting it in there and it didnt fit because inside it looks like an 8 basically so i got a male and slid it in there. but the light is the problem and my gauge wont function properly until ive figured it out
Old 12-29-2006, 08:54 PM

so i unplugged the wire attached to the fuse for the lighting.. first i went out and drove about 15 miles or so in stop and go pretty hilly area.. i also beat on it a little. nothing like WOT really but lots of breaking the tires loose and tearing down the street with the rear tires loose. I looked at the gauge and it read about 340 degrees most of the time.. i got home and turned the car off.. unplugged the lighting wire.. and plugged it back in.. 220 degrees. so does 220 sound right? im pretty sure this lighting wire is the problem im dealing with
Old 12-29-2006, 09:54 PM
01Z

I would think 220 is in the upper limit with a cooler. ATF starts depositing varnish around 250 degrees. As for the electrical connection troubles, I'd post pictures of my connections but there's too much difference between our fuse panels and I don't want to add more confusion. All I can suggest is that you keep looking at what you have and try to see where something is wrong.

Keep in mind that power goes to the gauge which in turn energizes the sensor. A single wire from the proper post goes to your sensor. Either that wire is not connected properly or the gauge is foobar.

The light is a separate circuit and it doesn't need to be connected for the gauge to work. What I'm saying is sometimes you need to get as basic as possible and then add in the other things when you have the fundamental function sorted out.

I have an idea if you are really stuck; post a picture of the back of your gauge. That will make it much easier to make suggestions.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:38 PM

yea tomorrow my dad and me are going to finish this thing for good. ill take a pic of the back of the gauge. The light is disconnected right now.. tomorrow i will go over all my connections, make sure they are all snug and dandy because i know they are all on the right posts.. they have been checked about 80 times. I might question my ground, could that have anything to do with this? I will find the culprit and finish this tomorrow. tonight, i sleep
Old 12-30-2006, 12:02 PM

wasnt grounded properly, i grounded it somewhere else and it is workin sexy now so finally..done

Quick Reply: installing trans temp gauge...