If your window binds when going up.. - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

If your window binds when going up..

Old 12-11-2018, 12:34 PM

If your window binds when going up..

My driver's side window was misaligned by 1/2" and would not adjust no matter what and when you roll up the window, it would bind inwards towards the cabin and get stuck. Well I opened up the window and found this.

Window wasn't rolling up properly on the vertical track because of this.

You can get a cheap stick welder and use 1/16" 6013 to weld it up without blowing a hole through it. Don't breath in the zinc from the galvanization, use a fan and respirator.

That way you don't have to pull the regulator, drill out the rivets, pull the motor with it, pull the glass and then replace the entire glass by shopping through the junkyard.

Use a tiny C-clamp to hold it in place while you weld.

Once it was welded up, I realized what the CAUSE of the problem was. With the driver's side window "Auto Down" function, it would continue to push the window down until it felt resistance and then stop. But it would slowly bend this metal piece into the bottom of the door panel over and over using the Auto down function. This would bend the metal and eventually cause it to break.

I reinforced the welds again and then used a very small 1/2" tall wooden square and secured it right under the black rubber (3rd pic above, middle of the picture and on the bottom). That way the window hits the wooden bump stop I made and stops when using the Auto down function rather than having direct metal to fiberglass contact and bending the mount.

Then adjust everything to close the gaps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If your window binds when going up..

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.